main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arrival day - meet/greet offer to anyone new to London

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by timbolton, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hmmm, will try to find out. I think maybe the prob is Heathrow Express is train and not to do with the underground, but you can get the underground from Heathrow but takes longer - and will be included in a zone 1-6 travelcard. I have a feeling if you used the Express and then zones 1-4 it'd be more expensive than a straight zone 1-6 travelcard.

The prob with meeting FF-UK North straight away will be this - you will arrive at Kings Cross maybe around same time (and that's probs less than likely), dependant on how long customs deal with you and then you head towards Paddington where I'll meet you, they will be heading towards ExCel at 4pm straight away (they have a table to set up). Your hotel is just outside Kings Cross, so I guess you need to book in and dump your bags. If you want I can wait there for you, and then head to ExCel with you to meet the FF-UK North? Sie says he can make his own way and take em to ExCel. I am booked into Ibis with them, but will have to pick my bags up from PTI (lol, yeah tis confusing).

That sound ok? I don't think timing wise we'll get to meet FF-UK North at Kings Cross.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    You're really nice, Timbolton, because I was half-joking. [face_blush]

I like to talk to Flo first to find out what he has on his mind for the afternoon/evening and then I'll let you know. Right now we like to go to the Exhibition and meet up all FF who have arrived so far. So I suggest, plan like you did and if it fits, then it's great and otherwise we'll find our way somehow, ok? :)

Is it the CE-FF-table you're speaking of btw? :D

3. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    hehe, no worries. I know Flo from my time as FF-UK RSA, he's a great bloke and I don't mind helping him or his friends out and I'll definitely go out of my way to do that. But yeah, check with him what you want to do. We have just over a week to get the plans ironed out.

The table that is being set up on Thursday evening is actually Rebel Legion, since my best pal and fellow FF-UK Northerner Jase (edgejedi88) is also the CO for Rebel Legion UK. Some North members are also part of that band of merry men and ladies.

Just let me know what u need to do, and what you need from me, and I'll do my best to accomodate everyone and their plans :) :cool:

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Travelcard I get from Southwest Trains when I go to London is good for train, Tube, and bus. I have a feeling the Heathrow Express is not included in the Travelcard service so you'd have to pay for that seperately. I'm also not sure if the Docklands Light Railway is included - that needs to be checked. People might have to buy another ticket to go the couple of stops from the Tube to ExCel.

When I get a Travelcard I pay around a tenner to Southwest Trains. I have a feeling that the Heathrow Travelcard doesn't include train travel - ti's just Tube and bus. Also worth checking since I am not aware of the different flavors of Travelcard.

5. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    I arrive at 14.44 on Thursday at that Pancreas station. :)

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, I have just been reminded I need to collect Matt (To Mega T) too lol. Sorry Matt, my head is everywhere atm.

Right, I'll meet Matt at his station after Lady Poison is sorted. We then go from there to pick up Flo and Ski if they need us (I think I am being ambitious on you getting to the meet point by 3pm tbh, let's see), and then we take it from there in regards to FF-UK North.

Just checked Travelcards Laj -
    Travelcards
    Travelcards are valid for travel on:

The Tube, Docklands Light Railway and buses
    Trams, where your Travelcard includes Zone 3, 4, 5 or 6
    National Rail (excluding Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow, and on Heathrow Express)
    Scheduled Riverboat services at 1/3 off the normal fare. Just show your Travelcard (or Oyster card with a Travelcard on it) at the time of travel
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx

So Heathrow Express is out - but Heathrow underground is ok. I know city center to Custom House DLR is fine with the zone 1-4 travel card, I used that when I was at the London Expo about a month ago.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I am glad they're good for DLR - that saves a bit of hassle for me.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks, Tim! We'll let you know when we've spoken about it. [:D]

And about '3pm' I'm not sure about that as well, because I don't know how much time we need to get out of the airport. But we get one of the tubes somehow for sure. ;) :)

Are there any plans about the time preparing the FF table? :confused:

9. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll be setting up the FF table and art exhibition on Thursday, which rules me out of any meet-and-greets sadly, plus I'll be going to Forbidden Planet for the Gentle Giant event at 5pm but I'm up for meeting with people afterwards :D

The Heathrow express is expensive, about £15 a ticket. It also only goes to Paddington, so you'll still need a travelcard after that to reach Kings Cross and the ExCel, so while the tube takes longer, I'd recommend getting the tube from Heathrow.
    If there are any more travelling questions feel free to PM me :)

10. Marani

Marani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2007
    I think I need this "servis", too.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Welcome Marani - do you have any arrival time details? When you can get into one of the central London train stations? You can PM me the details if you prefer not to post publicly. Same goes for any others.

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Which airport are you arriving from Marani? :)

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Morning Matt :D

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    lol, we're playing message board snap!!

Morning Tim :)

15. Marani

Marani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2007
    I am coming by bus:D

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I hope not! When are you at the CE and when do you leave for the Forbidden Planet? ;) :)

Timbolton, I've spoken to Flo and we got a plan. Would it be possible to go to the CE with you (showing us the way)? It would be cool if we could meet Matt there and help him with the FF table until we leave for the Forbidden Planet, which we would like to go to as well. :)

17. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Heya Tim!

I've sorted myself out, got my travelcard for my zones, my train tickets, and me maps!

If you need any help, just shout! I'll be in town on Thursday!

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I will post this here and in the sticky transport thread, just to ensure it gets maximum exposure ;)

Below is a map of the London Transport Network which covers tube trains, the DLR and over-head suburban trains. It also shows the zone areas, and the key to the different lines can be found on the bottom right. I've highlighted and circled the areas and stations which are most relivent, and I'll try and explain as best I can the best ways to get around.

[image=http://www.monkeymattman.talktalk.net/tflmap.jpg]

Heathrow
    Heathrow is served by the Picadilly line. From Central London, it takes about an hour to reach Heathrow. When you leave your airport terminal, just follow signs for the Underground and you'll reach the ticket area where your best bet is going to a manned booth and asking for an all zone travel card, which will cost £6.70 anytime after 9:30am, or £6.70 at anytime during weekends.

Heathrow to King's Kross
    For King's Cross, all you need do is stay on the tube train you get from Heathrow and get off at the King's Cross St Pancras station.

Heathrow to ExCel
    There are several routes for this one, but the best one is as follows; From Heathrow, get the Picadilly line and get off at any station that also serves the district (green) line and the Circle (yellow) line. For example, South Kensington. Wait for either a district line train that is heading Eastbound towards Upminster or an Eastbound/anti-clockwise circle line train and get off at Tower Hill. From Tower Hill, you need to walk to Tower Gateway which is where you can get the Docklands Light Railway train which goes direct to the ExCel. Below I have posted a map showing how to get to Tower Hill to Tower Gateway, but it's well sign posted and a very short walk.
    From Tower Gateway, just make sure your train is heading to Beckton, and get off at Custom House, which will lead you straight to the ExCel.

King's Cross to ExCel
    There are two options for this one. The first option is to reach Tower Hill. To do this, you simply get the Circle (yellow) line (heading clockwise) from King's Cross and get off at Tower Hill. The downside with this method is that the circle line is often hit by long delays and is probably the most unreliable tube line. So, if there are any delays, the second method is from King's Cross, get the Northen (black) line Southbound (anytrain heading to Morden) and stop at Bank. From Bank, you can get a Docklands Light Railway train, however, this train will not stop at Custom House, therefore you'll need to change trains. Your safest bet is to get off at Shadwell, which is the first stop, and wait for a DLR train that is heading to Beckton and once again, stop off at Custom House for the ExCel.

Tower Hill/Gateway

Here's the map showing how to reach Tower Gateway from Tower Hill:
    [image=http://www.monkeymattman.talktalk.net/towerhill-gateway.jpg]

Travelcards
    If you're heading to the ExCel from Central London, you'll only need a zone 1-4 travelcard, which is £5.70 off-peak. If you need to head to Heathrow on the same day, then you'll need all 6 zones which will be £6.70 off-peak.
    If you have to travel at peak times (anytime before 9:30am Mon-Fri), a 1-4 zone travelcard will cost £9, while a 1-6 zone travelcard will cost £13.20.

Here's a list of all fares: TFL Fares

Hope that helps, and if there are any questions or if you'd like a 300dpi version of the maps, please PM me and I can e-mail them to you :D

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Many thanks for those excellent explanations! [:D]
    It will help a lot. :)

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll be arriving at Waterloo at 1:20pm. If anyone wants me to hang around there to meet up just let me know.

21. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Wow! Thank you, Matt! :D [:D]

Great work! :)

22. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Bumping to check all is correct.

Wednesday
    Marani (have details)

Thursday
    12pm Lady Poison at Waterloo

2.40pm To-Mega-Therion/moosemousse at Pancreas station

3pm (ish) MacCaffrey and Skiara at Paddington

3.51pm Fan Force UK North arrive at London Kings Cross (attempt meet up)

Friday
    9am Obi Anne at Kings Cross

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Tim: I'll make my way to Pancreas Station for 2:20 in time to meet up with you, Lady Poison and To-Mega-Therion.

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That'll be great Moose :D :cool:
    I'll PM you my mobile no. ;)

25. Hasford1978

Hasford1978 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2005
    On what day are u meeting in London, will it be the first day of the convention 13th July??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.