main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arrival day - meet/greet offer to anyone new to London

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by timbolton, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    The above times are for Thursday mainly, when all of those people are arriving. It's just to help them get from central London to the excel/hotel area without too much worry. You are arriving Thursday too right?

2. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Just a bit of advice needed! I'm arriving at City Airport at 2.00pm. Am I correct in assuming I get the DLR from there to Canning town and then change to get to Victoria Dock?

3. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Will have this sign with me for meeting people :)

[image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/CE%20London%20maps/meet_card.jpg]

JED1 - Yep, looks right to me.
    Get the DLR at London City Airport DLR Station heading towards BANK
    Get off at Canning Town. Wait for the next available DLR heading towards BECKTON.
    Get off at Royal Victoria.

[image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/jed1_dlr.jpg]

EDIT: Hmmm, doesn't seem to stop at Victoria Docks for some reason - asks you to walk from Custom House, may be the time I did it. The journey planner is here - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2632.aspx on the right sidebar.

When I get chance later I'll check through the info on this page too - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/transportaccessibility/dlr/3243.aspx - see if that helps.

4. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Victoria dock is the name of the area that the ExCel and the various hotels are situated, I think. So get the London City Airport DLR train heading to Bank and get off at Canning Town, then wait for a DLR heading to Beckton and get off at Custom House. It should be a short walk to the hotel. The City Airport DLR extension is pretty new so I'm not too hot with that part either.

5. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    And can I get a pass/ticket that will get me from the airport to my hotel and then into London for Forbidden Planet?

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    There should be a ticket machine at the LCA station. A zone 1-4 travelcard will do you nicely :D

7. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    DLR goes "Prince Regeant -> Custom House -> Royal Victoria" from his direction.

I think JED1's hotel is fairly near the Royal Victoria stop, but if it doesn't go there, he'll definitely have to do Custom House. What time are you arriving again George?

8. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    The plane is due to arrive at 2.00 pm, Tim!

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Tim: Nice sign, I should have no problem finding you. :)

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, I missed the Royal Victoria stop. It's the one before Custom House. Either way it's a pretty short walk betwee the two which is handy.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Hehe, ta Mouse. I think after I have got Lady Poison, gonna bring in the sidekick rule where someone else has to stand with it instead of me :p

Aye, think I remember it being short when we walked along the road Matt. They have to walk away from ExCel tho, I'll post a map showing hotel location tomorrow.

12. npgrace

npgrace Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks Matt and Tim for the info. and great advice. The posts are really helpful. Quick questions for you. I'm flying into Gatwick and going to the Hilton at Canary Wharf. From the Transport for London website it looks like I catch

Start at: Gatwick Airport Station
    - take First Capital Connect towards Bedford - Zones 5,1

change at: London Bridge Underground Station
    - take Northern Line towards Edgware or High Barnet - Zone 1

change at: Bank DLR Station
    - take DLR to Lewisham
    - exit at South Quay - Zones 1,2

Does that sound about right? Also, do I need to get tickets for each leg or can I buy a zone 1-5 travelcard that covers the whole trip?

Thanks again for any help with this. I just want to get my ground transportation straight before I get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.