Discussion [ARRRR!!!] The Very Secret, Incredibly Dangerous, And Slightly Ridiculous POTC Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ophelia, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    They're definitely kids' books, but I've enjoyed them. I'm missing book #11, so I'm going to have to hunt it down. Heh. I would take what's written in them with a grain of salt, but they're at least entertaining.

Someone wrote a Supernatural 'fic a few years ago where Dean's annoying Sam by talking like a pirate on "Talk Like A Pirate Day", and Sam responds by making Dean wear eyeliner, "because Jack Sparrow does". I'll have to see if I can find it and PM you the link or something.

Dana
  2. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Hopefully school won't interfere with me participating in Talk Like a Pirate Day. [face_praying] All this is making me miss my monologue from last year's drama class... For seven minutes, I was Anne Bonny. I've never had so much fun doing a monologue, and I went all-out with my costume too, as much as I could.

I'm intrigued by the kids books, but I doubt I'd be able to find them here. :p I can't even find YJK or JJK. 8-}

ophelia -- a bit late, but I love the "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything." [face_laugh] Great Relient K song. And I love your solution to losing a job. I'm roughly in the same area as you. Maybe I'll go pirating on the St. Clair River. :p We can meet up in Lake Saint Clair and have a boat battle. ;)
  3. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    My sister and I are going to participate in "talk like a pirate day" this year. I don't know what we're doing yet-- other than the obvious talking like pirates-- but we'll have fun with it. We'll probably watch POTC and blare the soundtrack and... who knows. We'll have fun.

We do perform at this assisted living facility once a month, and in September, in honor of talk like a pirate day, we're going to be playing a POTC medley... on a guitar and mandolin :p It sounds... interesting. Pretty, and more celtic than the soundtrack, but interesting nonetheless...

Has anyone seen "The Pirate Primer?" I saw it at the book store, and I think I'll buy it, if for no other reason than to annoy my parents and siblings with random figures of speech. :p I about drove my mom up the wall when I decided to say "Aye" instead of "yes" when AWE came out!

You can find "The Pirate Primer" here: http://www.thepiratesrealm.com/pirate%20talk.html (among other things)
  4. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    You can't get a recording, can you? That sounds like it would be awesome!

Then again, I'm a sucker for Celtic fusion anything, and how can Celtic fusion pirate be bad?
  5. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Sometimes things come back, mate.

Resurrecting this thread just because. :p

So we have some striking character arcs over the three POTC films. Elizabeth's is probably the most remarkable transformation--in fact, if you count the AWE "secret ending," she may have come full circle from ordinary woman to pirate king to ordinary woman. Will's evolution from love-struck dork to Davy Jones' successor is also startling--not the ending I was expecting, anyway. Jack has a more subtle but noticeable arc. It might be a redemption story, although the ladies of Tortuga seem to find him pretty unregenerate at the end of AWE. At the very least, events conspire to drive him (more) insane. To the extent that the POTC universe is a character in itself, it seems a bit bipolar--it literally goes from blinding brightness to near-impenetrable darkness, and then back again--not always in the order you'd expect.

Do you have a place in the films where conditions are your idea of perfect? Are there multiple points from which you draw your characterizations?

I find I have to "massage" the characters a little to keep them functional. If I make Will too dorky, or Jack too crazy, they're useless. :p
  6. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's the fun part of these characters, though. They're all so multi-faceted. (Except maybe Barbossa.) I wouldn't say that there's really a "right" characterization for them, though I will admit it's possible to write them out of character. I mea, having Will go for someone else and dump Elizabeth, that would be out of character. Have Jack not want the Pearl, that's out of character. But beyond that, I dunno. I just do what they tell me.
  7. LadyLunas Jedi Knight

star 3
    Honestly, it's at the end of CotBP. The classic Disney happy ending, yet all the characters have grown over the course of the film. Here is where I get most of my characterizations from, even if it's for my post-trilogy AU. I draw inspiration from 2 and 3, but my characterizations, especially for Norrington, eventually circle back to that point.
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I like to draw from one as well, though I haven't really written any. Mostly it's because I didn't like what happened in 2 and 3 :p though I think that Elizabeth as a pirate king has a ton of possibilities.
  9. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    That's pretty much how it goes for me, for the same reasons. However, currently I'm drawing a lot of Jack's characterization from the end of AWE because my current story is post-AWE and I'll be looking at how the events of the last two movies have changed him and him more... er... insane? o_O :p (Well, not necessarily insane, but you know what I mean. ;) ).
  10. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    My story is post-AWE too, but I've had to "rewind" Jack to something like his DMC characterization. His role in the plot requires him to be semi-lucid. He's had a few years to recover, so maybe he's stopped seeing so much of . . . himself.

Of course, copying him at any point is as difficult as ever. 8-}

What a few years of the Flying Dutchman does to Will is anybody's guess, so I freely admit that I'm guessing, there.
  11. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope that one day I'll be able to write POTC fanfic as easily as I can write SW fanfic. It's weird, I was talking to my mom about it the other day, and how it's uncanny how naturally the characterizations come to me for SW fanfic, but in POTC... no the case! It drives me mad trying to figure exactly what everyone will say at what time.

On a brighter note, I can finally feel like I should be posting here! I actually wrote a POTC fanfic! [face_dancing]
  12. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I agree; it does seem harder to write PotC fanfic. However, if you have seen the movies enough times, then the characters should seem a little easier to write, as you understand their characteristics and habits more than you would on the first viewing.
  13. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, I agree. But still, when you've got a year and a half of Star Wars writing experience, you've read the books, seen the movies etc. It will obviously be easier to write Star Wars fanfic-- at least for me it is.

I wish they would come out with some teen/adult POTC novels. I know they have ones for little kids, but I want something on my reading level, you know?
  14. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm thinking that for TLaPD on Friday, I might watch the first film on DVD. I've only seen it twice (and the second one once), which is part of the reason I've not done much PotC fic. [The one drabble I did was just a suggestion of a possible Pirates pastiche on The Prince and the Pauper and The Prisoner of Zenda, which I only list for the lovely alliteration.]

I also plan to listen to Doctor Who and the Pirates. :)
  15. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I wanted to write something for Pirate Day, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm too busy with my crazy school schedule. :(

16. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Blast, that should have been a mini challenge for today. :(

Wait, it's barely the beginning of Pirate Day over in the US!

Mini Challenge O The Day

Write ye a Pirate fic (vig or drabble) if ye can!
  17. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Aha, I can and I did! However, since you did not specify Pirates of the Caribbean, I went with a different Disney piratical figure! But that should be okay, yesno?
  18. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wrote a POTC songfic, but I've yet to post it! I think I wrote it on TLaPD too! I'll have to post it later!
  19. Lithiniel Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know what, guys? For me, any given day could potentially be TLaPD. I frequently answer questions with "yarr" or "arrr" or other single-syllable piratey type phrases.

Also, from Labor Day to about the middle of October, I spend much of my time dressed as a pirate -- because that's when our Ren Faire is. Not that I actually work there, no. I just go in garb, down a cup or two of mead (or something stronger, on occasion) and BAM! Instant pirate! Complete with drunken stagger! ;)

Even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to write Jack Sparrow myself. I tend to work myself into a tailspin trying to figure out if he's what he appears to be on the surface -- or if there's a lot more there. Obviously, no pirate is what he appears to be on the surface, and least of all a captain. (Pirate captains were elected more or less democratically, and pirate ships run with a lot more leniency than, say, English Navy ships. But that's beside the point.) I find myself often wondering if Jack has had this whole series of events (from CotBP to AWE) at least loosely planned out from the start. Ok, probably not every little detail, and I'm pretty sure he never quite counted on getting snagged and imprisoned by Davey Jones.

So far, what I've concluded, in spite of my mental meanderings, is that Jack Sparrow does indeed have a heart of gold underneath his casual, sometimes aggressive, and altogether "devil-may-care" demeanor -- that Will and Elizabeth were never in any real danger from his wheeling and dealing, although he may have been in danger from Will's -- but he also has enough self-interest to choose a course of action that will still profit him. Smuggler/Pirate 101 -- always make a profit when you can.

The thing I enjoyed about the PotC movies was that they combined the best of the old Errol Flynn swashbuckling action with a lot of plot and pirate superstition. (Although I'd point out that most pirates took a fatalistic view towards drowning, figuring that if the Sea wanted 'em, the Sea would have 'em -- and thus, never learned to swim. Obviously, Jack didn't agree with this POV.)

I love Jack for the complexity of his character, but my favorite character, hands down, is Barbossa. I would love to see more of what goes on in his head, mainly because he remains a mystery even after AWE. Not as heavy a drinker as Jack, he definitely spends more time in his own head than Sparrow does -- and has probably confronted his own inner demons. The way I see it, he's a somewhat more stable version of Teague -- and Jack could mature to become like either one of them. Perhaps Barbossa and Teague represent two separate paths that Jack could take as he grows older, though he'd be most likely to combine the two and end up a composite of both characters, in a way....

I'm rambling again. Yar.
  20. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    There should be a Pirate language pack for computers. That would make it easier to write Pirate fiction. :p
  21. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    So, any good pirate discussions?
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.