main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Art Critic Calls Episode III, the "Greatest Work of our Time"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 30, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I had to check twice to see this wasn't an article from the Onion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-iii-greatest-395637

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Good for her.

I've always thought ROTS was an incredible piece of art. Nice to see theres someone out there that agrees! [face_laugh]

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    ROTS is an incredible work of art. If you don't have it, I recommend The Art of Revenge of the Sith. Seeing the worlds that Erik Tiemens and Ryan Church came up with shows why it's such an incredible work of art. I couldn't recommend it enough!

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    He's not saying the whole movie is the great work, just the finale. I sense a hyperbole here. I wouldn't call it the great work but I'm always moved by it. It's very powerful in terms of the entire saga.

5. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    That article made my day!

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Paglia is a longtime admirer of the classical arctypes Star Wars reintroduced. But even this was surprising. But hey, she lays out her case.

7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Incredible piece of art, yes. Greatest art of our time? Hell no.
    I'm not even going to talk about special effects which are apparently the best thing about RotS.

8. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    ROTS was a decent piece of entertainment. If i would not be an SW fan i would watch it only once.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That can be said about any Star Wars movie at this point in time.

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, there was probably some great concept art for it....um, yeah.

11. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    "It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise."

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds like film criticism.

13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Honestly, the film packs quite the emotional impact, but it's only complete when the other films are taken into account; such as the innocence lost from the Phantom Menace and the legacy that amounted in the Trilogy.

It's kinda strange that she singled out one movie; I personally believe that Star Wars works best as a Saga. But if I was to pick the most emotional and thought-provoking, I may have to choose ROTS.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    She's just trying to be a provocateur. Word has gotten out that there are strong feelings about the PT. She's stirring the pot.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ROTS is a masterpiece, to be sure. Is it the greatest work of our time, though? Sure, when I'm in the mood for it.
    I would be quicker to put the whole saga on that pedestal, though. The Star Wars series is, to my mind, definitely the greatest work of our time - as far as movies go, not necessarily art in general.

"I see you becoming the greatest of all the movies, Star Wars"
    /LM

16. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    In an interview I saw where she defends her stance...sort of...she catches herself about to undermine her own method of evaluation. As others have pointed out, she's really just focusing on the final duel. From what I've heard (have not yet read), she sees this sequence as the thing to praise. So she pulls it out of the rest of the 6 hours and latches onto it, in a sense. But when she tries to undermine those she knows will take issue with her stance, she says, well, I'm sure they'll just pull one element out and criticize it like Jar Jar...but then she cuts herself and goes on, probably realizing this "pulling out" is EXACTLY what she herself has done. I could see someone defending this segment the way she does, perhaps, but not the whole film let alone the entire PT. But perhaps in her book she does?

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There was a lot to be gained from that part of the movie, but I agree that it's only fair to take the whole movie into account as a whole. While it does have flaws, it can definately be looked past in that respect.

But as an art enthusiast, I'm surprised she hasn't looked in the symbolism throughout the entire film. One thing the prequel trilogy does have to its advantage is that Lucas could look at how things work into the grand scheme of the saga and beyond.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  18. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    The ending to ROTS is the central piece of Star Wars saga. It binds the 2 trilogies together and makes them seem like they belong together. Without those final 20 minutes of RotS, including the Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight, it'd be hard to puzzle-piece the two trilogies together. It's pure art how GL wrapped everything up at the end of RotS. It's extremely emotional and powerful. When I first saw it, I wanted to tear up because I thought it was the last time I would ever see a Star Wars movie and the ending was so powerful with the Twin Suns. The ending to RotS it plenty of iconic imagery from Anakin burning and then being put into his suit. Obi-Wan handing Luke over to the Lars family. A glimpse of life on Alderaan for a few seconds and then the Twin Suns. Doesnt get much more beautiful then the ending to ROTS.

19. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    To be fair, greatest works of art of our time is up against:

Dissected cow:

[​IMG]

And Giant Rubber ducky:

[​IMG]

:)

Son of a Bith and Evening Star like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The chapter in her book about Revenge of the Sith is really good. My suspicion is later generations will agree with a lot of what she says.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Idk bout that but it's definitely a masterpiece.

Alienware likes this.
  23. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    IMHO, artistically it's not even the best one in the saga, let alone of our time.