main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art of the Clone Wars: D'oh... Mandalore

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Ok. I just wasn't sure what you meant by "normal".

I find that to be such a shame that they changed a unique planet that made the galaxy a more interesting place into just another boring planet.

And I'm sorry, but Mr. Fry's got it backwards, you are supposed to make convoluted attempts to deny the obvious to keep the scores of existing works in the right instead of letting 90 minutes of a children's show throw it all away.

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Regarding Ryloth, Havac is right in that while we wrote it up as a normal, rotating planet, nothing in the text compels anyone to accept that. I'm not sure how we would have enforced that anyway: "Contrary to widespread rumor in the galaxy, Ryloth rotates normally"? That would have been weird. Anyway, author intent isn't the same thing as canon. (He says while looking grumpily up in the Triton sky at the moon named Gactimus.)

Regarding Mandalore, the bit in the Atlas was written and off to the publishers before I ever saw the cube-city image. Make of that what you will; I honestly have no idea what to make of it myself.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Precognition.:p

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    While I'm glad Havac was right...there is this sentence in the Atlas:

"Reports that the gas giant vanished in a cataclysm are false, and have become known as the 'Endor Moon Hoax'"
    I feel compelled to accept that now. :p

5. Dirk_Loechel

Dirk_Loechel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2009
    Yes. Very much so. It felt much worse with the Jedi, though.

Also, I really appreciate the Atlas acknowledging that planets actually have different climate zones and different cultures because planets are huge. Thumbs up guys!

Ah, and one question, Jason. I saw Felucia having an ocean? What does live there? Turtles, led by a turtle pirate king? Swollen sea-monsters wbose bloated carcasses nourish unhealthy land-life, when the oily ocean of tar washes them ashore? Yellow Submarines?

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    All of the above, plus things that look like melted Gummi Bears and would be bad to see while under the influence of psychedelics.

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This I need to see. lol

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What did they do with Galidraan? [face_worried]

So can we assume Endor is that thing we see way in the background of the ROTJ shots? Or is that too far off to be Endor?

9. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I think it means that OPEN SEASONS must now be out of canon or at least doesn't fit with the new canon (since, supposedly, nothing is ever "out" of canon), which erases a lot of the motivation that several characters from the RC books had for joining the Cuy'val Dar, as well as changing Jango's past/origin that Haydan Blackman wrote up as a prequel to the BOUNTY HUNTER video game.

10. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I've said it once, I'll say it again.
    [image=http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/70538/normal_headdesk_medium.jpg]

Alas, poor Jaster Mereel. We knew ye well.:(

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, what the heck are you guys talking about? Someone says that a confusing mess was cleaned up, and jump to the conclusion the entire story was gotten rid of?

If you guys are talking about what I think you are talking about (which admittedly, you may not be, which is hwy I asked), the date for the Battle of Galidraan was moved up closer to the Battle of Naboo, fitting in with some old comment here or there and then it was revealed that it was just a typo anyway and the date wasn't changed.

I think.

12. Gomez_Addams

Gomez_Addams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    Never underestimate the average fanboy's capacity for overreacting.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Um, yeah. Let's take a second to pause before we all run around like chinchillas on crack.

I believe we're talking dates here, not in-or-out continuity. The dating of Galidraan has been a mess; that's most likely what Liliedhe was referring to.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    (looks up while burning Open Seasons issues)

Now you tell me!

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the problem with Galidraan's dating was that Open Seasons placed it in 34 BBY, but several subsequent sources had it set in 44 BBY, presumably confusing with "12 years before the Battle of Geonosis" with "12 years before the Battle of Naboo." If the Atlas continues to perpetuate the erroneous 44 BBY date, what mess, exactly, has been fixed?

16. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Ahhh...and I had read on another board that Jango's origin was chucked out...obviously I think there's a lot of speculation going about as fact, whether it's speculation about the few glimpses we had of TCW episode in question or the Atlas material.

I didn't realize that the Atlas even DEALT with the dating situation. In that case; good on them, as it was something that needed sorting.

Were the dates in the BOUNTY HUNTER game also off? Or was that not dated in the same way OPEN SEASONS was?

Was it just Galidraan's date that was the problem or the dates for the entire story arc from OPEN SEASONS?

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm not exactly sure what they're referring to. As far as I can tell, the only real change is the shoehorning of the "New Mandalorians" into the existing Mandalorian history. Nothing else is really going away.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, I checked the sources - the NEC pushed it back to 40 BY, and the Essential Guide to the Force pushed it further to 44 BY. So the Essential Atlas didn't do anything except report the most recent dating of the Battle of Galidraan.
    And they appear to be 'retcons' rather than mistakes - personally, considering that Jango was supposed to be imprisoned for, what, two years? his timeline seemed too jammed together to fit when it was 34 BY.

19. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    Well, it was not my intent to put oil on fire...

But no, I did not mean the dating of Galidraan.

I read that as Dooku and the Jedi being not involved in Galidraan. I'm sorry, if anybody finds that horrible or feels offended. It's only my interpretation - but I find that a positive solution to an unconvincing and contrived story.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Lilly, the entire Galidraan incident was always secretly a plot by the Death Watch.

The Jedi were manipulated by their leader into wiping out jango's group.

21. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    But they aren't MENTIONED anymore. Just Death Watch. Which I read as that the Jedi involvement got cut.

Also, that was what I always found so badly contrived and unconvincing about this story - Viszla hiding behind a curtain in the governor's throne room and the Jedi don't get this? Really...

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a contrivance.

I also assumed it's a curtain over another room.

But yes, the whole tragedy is that the Jedi wipe out the "good guys" when Jango Fett refuses to be arrested. It's actually a nice moment where Jango thinks he can take the Jedi but they end up wiping each other out.

23. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    I can't help but wonder what you'd say if the Jedi were the ones who were framed and the Mandalorians had been tricked into attacking them in great enough numbers to take them all down, only because I've seen you argue that the Jedi have a right to fight against the GA and ignore their laws and orders because they're...the "good guys".

I do agree with Lidhe that it's slightly silly the Jedi never checked the governor's story, but as you said; it's a plot contrivance. If we went through SW and cut all the plot contrivances we'd end up with...well, a lot less EU.

24. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    They did check the story - the Mandalorians had been killing political activists. So they actually were guilty, compounded with Jango's ridiculous decision to not surrender and instead flip out the blasters.

And I very much doubt Vizsla was hiding behind the curtains when the Jedi arrived - since he emerged and chased after Jango long before Dooku's ship landed.

Taking out the Jedi from the Galidraan battle would be a very dumb and pointless retcon, since it wrecks a whole lot of character backstories, and eliminates the whole point of the battle in the first place. I'd hoped after recent events we weren't going to get any more of those sort of retcons.

25. Gomez_Addams

Gomez_Addams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    The Jedi aren't going to be retconned from Galidraan. They aren't mentioned for space reasons, the same reason the Atlas doesn't mention Burr Nolyds in its section on the Crimson Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.