Art that isn't considered art

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Iwishiwasajedi, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I have many things that I consider art. There is more to art then paintings and sculptures after all.

For Example, many bridges are works of art:

The Brooklyn Bridge
    [image=http://www.endex.com/gf/buildings/bbridge/bbbnr47.jpg]
    You can read about the Brooklyn Bridge here

The castle like look makes it diffrent then most bridges. Most people who vist NY can't wait to see "the bridge". also very old.

The Golden Gate Bridge
    [image=http://www.goldengatebridge.org/photos/TheBridge.jpg]
    you can read about the Golden Gate Bridge here

and many other bridges are works of art.

The Waco Bridge
    [image=http://www.wacocvb.com/images/bridge.gif]
    You can read about the Waco Bridge here

Another Castle looking bridge, this was a very important bridge of its time. It was the only way across the mighty Brazos on the Chisholm trail.

2. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    I can agree. After all, architecture is really just the synthesis of art and engineering.

Personally, I like pyramids. The Pyramids at Giza and the I.M Pei glass pyramid at The Louvre in France are a few favorites.

Also, Frank Lloyd Wright was a great artist. Though he was often criticized for making impractical designs, most of his works melded the building with its environment to achieve a truly artistic combination.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Architects are most certainly artists. I forget if it was Wright or not, but there was this one house we studied in Humanities that had all kinds of waterfalls and stuff off of it. Really cool.

Wright is the most obvious example but I'm sure there are others.
  4. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    I forget if it was Wright or not, but there was this one house we studied in Humanities that had all kinds of waterfalls and stuff off of it.

That's most likely a house called "Falling Water" which was designed by Wright. It's probably his most famous design, next to the Guggenheim Museum here in New York City.
  5. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I spent a year as a fine arts major, and I can tell you that at my university, architecture was a school within the college of fine arts.

Mel
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Sounds right. Awesome design.
  7. Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep. This is falling water. I've been there.

[image=http://www.wpconline.org/images/fw_main_photos.jpg]
  8. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Architecture is an art form. However, while I see many structures as art on the whole they also have a practical reason for being there. It is understandable that many people do not see "architecture" as real art.

Examples: Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedrel, The Chrysler Building are just three that pop up in my head. There are countless more.

9. BlackPool Manager Emeritus

star 4
    As an artist myself, I would half to say that art is generally anything that inspires an emotional response in you. I don't believe art is necessarily man made either. It can be an aspect of nature as well. But whatever the case, art is subjective.
  10. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Why wouldn't this be considered art? I took a basic art history class in high school, and half of what we studied was architecture -- including bridges and office buildings.
  11. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Places such as waterfalls can be considered art; I consider them pieces of art. They're natural art -- something that wasn't created by humans, but more less are equally if not more powerful than some other forms of art. Art is only art by the eye of the beholder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.