main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~Arthur C. Clarke~~~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Porkins in a Speedo, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
  2. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
  3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I clicked on that one link and I don't know about anyone else but I'm disturbed by the blurb mentioning "alien's blowing something up on Earth," thing. What the?? [face_plain]

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    "Digital Revelations is largely relying on Intel-based computers for the effects on Rendezvous with Rama, a thriller coming out next year in which a group of humans seek revenge on aliens that blow up Italy."

that quote ? I looks some someone got mixed up, as we all know that nothing like that happens. I'm sure they wouldn't modify the story *that* much :)

The first time I read RWR I felt it would make a good movie. I'm sure they'll carve out a fantastic suspensful movie, with some edge of the seat stuff (eg when they meet the biots for the first time), without the need to start inventing new story lines.

I'm looking forward to it.

malkie

5. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i have some apprehension about the Rama movie, simply because i'm afraid they will totally screw it up and/or drastically change the original story. this is one of those books where a movie version will most likely be either really good or really bad.

*crosses fingers*

6. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
  7. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    You know, I'm more concerned that it will be mediocre. If it's terrible we can dismiss it as garbage and hopefully someone will have the incentive to do better some day. If it's great then we are happy. But if it's some gray area in-between then I think you are really screwed.

8. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Clarke huh?

Well, I think I can safely say that he's the author I read most work from. And that work is amazing...

First heard of him was really long time ago, early 80's I think, with the show Mysterious Worlds, later got a book, you know, the one with crystal skulls and 30 meter snakes :). Fun book back then. Can't remember when and why I started reading Clarke's fiction...well, I started reading all the sf I could get, so why not him too? And glad I did. :D

Odysseys 2001., 2010. and 2061.(have 3001. but still haven't read it), Rendezvous with Rama (currently reading again), Childhood's End, Earthlight, The City and the Stars (proly my favorite novel), Cradle, The Hammer of God and last one I read, great one called The Light of Other Days, which he wrote with Stephen Baxter.

Been lucky lately, and succed to find great pdf file with 23! e-books of master himself. When I get myself faster connection, pm me and I'll send it to you...

Rama movie? I guess great...Hoping it would be good, but still have book if it turns *****...

EDIT: Fincher might direct? Excellent news! Porkins and Mariah, no need to worry...

Atleast I am not. Not a single Fincher movie dissapointed me. Yeah, not even Alien 3!

Here's something what David said about Rama...We?re still working on the script...

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001

I think this paragraph gave me pause.

He revealed his vision of the film would be almost completely digital. ?It?s basically a motion-capture movie,? Fincher said. ?The environment is completely synthetic. The actors are performing in real-time, but you?re editing the real-time component so you can introduce the weightlessness and get the performance that you want.?

Given the environment of Rama I can understand the need for this but I still have fears of bad effects taking away from the story. I'm crossing my fingers.

10. Nebucchad

Apr 29, 2002
    Up.

But not to be usual upping here's some more news about the movie...

Rama will be ground breaking and possibly even record breaking in its digital effects.

Wow I guess.

Read some more here.

And some older news...

The way Fincher envisions RAMA, ?the movie will be, for all intents and purposes, 95 percent digital,? with actors placed into a 100 percent CG environment aboard the space station. The idea is to create the digital backdrop first, so the actors will be able to see it and play off it during shooting.

Rest here.

I dunno much about effects, but does this means there will be almost no sets?

EDIT 2:

Ugh, found something more...not so good. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for a movie...

Release Date: TBA 2006 (this comes from a report that was sent to AICN by Grant Boucher, who is working as a technial consultant on the project; originally mentioned as a possible October, 2003 release)

Found here.

11. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    it's not coming out until 2006 now? ugh.

12. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Rama movie not until 2006? Reminds me of how long it took Frank Herbert's 'Dune' to finally make it to theaters (a decade after one or two earlier productions fizzled, I believe).

For ACC and '2001' fans, check out 'Underman's 2001' website (sorry, I forget the exact address). There is a pic of my 'Dawn of Man' diorama in there (with a clear monolith, as described in ACC's novel).

13. Aulus

Aulus Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2003
    One book of his, actually, a collection of short stories, that hasn't been mentioned, is Tales from the White Hart. It is his most "British" one, written mostly in the mid 1950s. I have always felt that it would have made an excellent mini-series, with Tony Randall (in his prime) playing the main character, Harry Purvis.

When I was in college, I got to attend a lecture ACC gave and met him breiefly afterwards. Very thrilling.

14. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Aulus - I envy you, meeting ACC! :mad: Hope you got his autograph.

I love how 'Tales From the White Hart' begins in an English pub (I tossed back a few pints in several, back when ROTJ came out). And that IS a good idea of adapting it to a TV mini-series. :D

15. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    ACC is the King of SF!

16. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    if i could pick one ACC book to be made into a movie, other than RWR, it would definitely be 'The City and the Stars'.

EDIT: or 'Childhood's End'.

17. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Porkins - those would be great choices for sure.
    Another ACC book I would love a movie of is 'The Deep Range'. Always do enjoy movies about submarines and the sea, there in 'liquid space'. The one environment that is as dangerous and exciting/mysterious as outer space.

18. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    The City and The Stars was my favourite novel as a child.

And since this is a Star Wars forum, does anyone remember what book it's in when Clarke talks about 'archaeologists who mistakenly dug up the remnants of a certain science fiction movie in the Tunisian desert, believing it to be proof that aliens had visited in Earth's distant past' or something like that.

Nice nod to Star Wars, that was.

19. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    No I don't remember that at all. I hope someone can answer your question, because I'd like to know the name of the book too.

As far as a movie, I think I'd like Childhoods End as long as they didn't make the aliens look too cartoonish.

20. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Childhood's End was going to be turned into a film and there is a great story behind the whole pre-production and adaptation of the source material etc. I have the book at home so I'll find it tonight and scan the pages so that you can have a read about it.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nice, a thread devoted to the discussion of one of my favourite sci-fi authors! :)

I recently read The Songs Of Distant Earth, one of the few novels by ACC I had not read, and I found it superb. The Thalassian civilization is believable and Loren's transformation from a cold calculating bastard to a complete human being is fascinating. The description of the Last Days of Earth really convinced me. And of course, the death of... that character... was moving.

Great book. But my fav will always be his short story Hate.

does anyone remember what book it's in when Clarke talks about 'archaeologists who mistakenly dug up the remnants of a certain science fiction movie in the Tunisian desert, believing it to be proof that aliens had visited in Earth's distant past' or something like that.

Yes, one of the Oddisey books. A really nice nod. And there's also the space slug reference in 2061. :)

22. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Awesome, JoinTheSchwarz!

I haven't read any Clarke for a little while.

23. Nebucchad

Apr 29, 2002
    Still up for scanning that book Al?

:)

24. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    any news on the Rama movie?

25. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    It's in development, as far as I know. I dunno if Fincher is still directing it or not, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.