main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~Arthur C. Clarke~~~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Porkins in a Speedo, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Still nothing new, heard though Freeman has some money problems.

Found this about Childhood's End, a bit old...

'CHILDHOOD'S END' FILM RIGHTS OPTIONED

February 2, 2002

The following is from the Hollywood Reporter: "Clarke's 'End' is Peirce's next odyssey at Universal"
    Kimberly Peirce, who co-wrote and directed the critically acclaimed feature "Boys Don't Cry," is in final negotiations to direct a big-screen adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's science fiction novel "Childhood's End" for Universal Pictures/Beacon Pictures. A screenwriter is expected to come aboard shortly to adapt the project. Published in 1987 [actually in 1953 - jcs], Clarke's novel features giant spaceships that suddenly appear over every major city on Earth. The arrival of the mysterious aliens, known as the Overlords, ushers in a half-decade of unprecedented peace and prosperity during which poverty, disease and prejudice are nearly eliminated. Not all is what it seems, though, as this "golden era" is the precursor to a new evolution for mankind, bringing about the end of the human race as we know it.
    Beacon's Armyan Bernstein and Rudy Langlais are producing the project, whose book rights are owned by the studio. (Zorianna Kit) John Sherwood adds: This is at least the third time an attempt has been made to bring this novel to the big screen. During the 1960s and 1970s, two experienced film scriptwriters -- Abraham Polonsky and Howard Koch -- each produced a screenplay for a production that never came to fruition. It remains to be seen how far this effort will go, especially in view of the long-standing difficulty Morgan Freeman has had in attempting to film "Rendezvous with Rama."

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really liked Rama, 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001, the onlyu ones that I've read of his.

3. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I had completely forgotten about this; I'll try and have it scanned later on.

4. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    The following is an excerpt I marked from Arthur C. Clarke's The Garden of Rama:

"Later on that night, when we were in bed, I commented that Einstein's discovery of the relationship between matter and energy was 'horrible,' because it led to the existence of nuclear weapons....Do you remember your response?"

Richard shook his head.

"You told me that Einstein was a scientist, whose life work was searching for knowledge and truth. 'There is no knowledge that is horrible,' you said. 'Only what other human beings do with that knowledge can be called horrible.'"

--Arthur C. Clarke, an excerpt from The Garden of Rama

I posted this in a favorite quote thread in the YJCC, but I wanted to share this here. Have any of you also read The Garden of Rama?

5. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Yes, I've read the Rama series. My impressions are mixed. There were parts (a lot of parts) that I loved, but there were also some that I didn't. I guess I'm talking mainly about the three sequels here. At times I just couldn't fathom or sympathize with some of the motivations of the main characters - Nicole, Richard, etc. And I was a bit disappointed with the final revalation of the nature and purpose of Rama. Overall, I'd say it's a good series but not Clarke's best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.