main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, GA Article in the Ledger

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by wookieefanPJM, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookieefanPJM

wookieefanPJM Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    I hope all of you saw the article about us in Monday's Local Section. It was a nice article and it gave us and the BAM some good advertising. Serval folks have come to the book store talking about the article.

Good Job Guys!

2. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    Posted on Mon, Apr. 18, 2005

Star Wars fans are a force

Share love of sci-fi and help the community

BY MELANIE BENNETT
    Staff Writer

For Star Wars fans, Thanksgiving is over, and Christmas is fast approaching.

The big day? May 19. And no, Santa won't be visiting -- but Yoda will.

Members of the Fountain City Force are making big plans for the opening of "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith." They're not alone -- avid Star Wars fans are already lining up at some theaters in California.

Club members, who usually meet every third Sunday at Books-A-Million on Macon Road, are planning to attend the midnight showing. And they're not going to be civilians, either -- many are planning to dress in full costume. The club also hopes to set up a table at the movie theater to recruit new members.

Sunday's meeting was much about Sith, with members getting a look at some of the new Star Wars merchandise that's available. And what would a good fan club meeting be without some head-scratching trivia? Jill Maddox, the club's secretary, stumped members with several questions Sunday, including a query about the color of Chewbacca's eyes.

Some of the Force members are avid collectors, and the new Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game -- on DVD -- seemed to get a lot of attention.

Books are another. Heath Williamson, who has a collage of Star Wars tattoos-in-progress on his left arm, said he recently read one of the Sith books.

"I read it and almost cried," he told other club members.

Maddox sported a "When All Else Fails, Send in the Wookiee" T-shirt as she showed off some of the newest collectibles. She also warned that some of the books include spoilers that could ruin the whole movie experience. Other merchandise on display Sunday included magazines, a coloring book, games and miniatures of Star Wars characters.

Cathy Bowden, the group's city representative for theforce.net, a massive Star Wars Internet community, said she and several other Force members are especially fond of Yoda.

Drew Sadler, one of the Force's founding members, is the club's costumer. He specializes in creating elaborate reproductions based on some of the movie's figurines. He's also the only club member who dares to dress as an evil Empire member.

The Force started meeting about three years ago, Maddox said. Sunday's youngest attendee was 12-year-old Brittany Johnson, who was 10 when she joined the group.

Aside from planning movie outings, group members also talked about an upcoming fundraiser for the Children's Miracle Network, and new lapel pins to support breast cancer through "Star Wars Chicks." Group members also put together baskets at Christmas for the Ronald McDonald House, Maddox said.

And Chewbacca? The Wookiee warrior's eyes are blue.

Contact Melanie Bennett at (706) 576-6284 or mbennett@ledger-enquirer.com

3. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up. Were there any pictures in the paper or just the article?

4. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    Just the article. I wish there could have been pics, just not of me.

5. Cosmic_Knight

Mar 7, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I would have gone to the Ledger-Enquirer office to actually pick up a copy if there were pictures or more than the article posted online. The article was pretty good. :)

6. Lightsabremaster

Lightsabremaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    hey guys!
    im a phenix city resident, and i saw the article!
    I plan to attend the midnight showing at the 15.......

I have a full costume lined out, but i dont want to show up being the only one in costume. how many are planned to dress up for this?

7. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Lightmastersaber,

Nice to meet you! Please send me email at sf-motf@att.net, so we can put on our mailer.

It was a very nice article & a surprise. We weren't told they were coming, or I would brought my digital camera for photographs. It was a little misleading about all of us being there at the 12:05am showing and a table being set up. My sister-in-law saw the article and wanted to know how many people were going to be at party (LOL).

The table & raffle (finizaling the deal with Carmik) isn't until Saturday, May 21st.

I plan on going at 12:05am, but depends on two conditions: My outfit is ready & I can stay awake :)

Otherwise, I'll be there Saturday in full costume from 12noon until 4:00pm and then again from 7:00pm to 10:00pm.

Could use help at the table :)

Cathy

8. Lightsabremaster

Oct 12, 2004
    now THAT i might be able to pull..........
    Ill have my full lil jedi outfit goin.....
    the question is, which saber do i bring? http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php?user_name=shagbd

Decisions decisions.....

9. Cosmic_Knight

Mar 7, 2004
    Wow! What a collection! "Impressive... Most impressive..."

10. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    You have to remember the reporter was listening in on the meeting and we did talk about having a table. So, while it was not finalized, she did hear us talking about it.

Which is why it is never advisable to talk about plans until you have the facts finalized. A reporter can print anything they hear and since we welcomed her into the meeting...she had our permission.

I hope we can have a table, even on the Saturday. But remember that the club never voted on or agreed to man a table, cathy, so if you set it up don't be upset if every one doesn't participate.

I know lots of us are going to the midnight showing so we may not turn around and go again the next Saturday.

:)

11. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    I spoke w/ Drew last night and he and some of his folks are definately dressing up for the premier @ 12:05am. He has some extra costumes if anyone is interested.

As for Saturday and the table - I don't know if I will be available yet but will check.

Can't wait to see everyone all dressed up...If my custome isn't done - I may be coming as a bounty hunter from Drew's collection.

Hollie

12. shopgirl

shopgirl Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2004
    That's a good article...I hate that I didn't see it!

13. Lightsabremaster

Oct 12, 2004
    so whats the deal guys? there WONT be a carmike event? I got muh lil costume all primed ready to go!

14. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    lightsabermaster -

The only offical club function (meaning the club voted and decided on a plan of action) is trying to go to the 12:05 showing as a group and dress up. Sorry about the mix up with the table idea. Until I read the above post that is all it ever was, was an idea.

Now, Cathy may very well get a table together but that offically was not voted as a club activity. If she can get the volunteers, then great.

We are meeting on the 15th to see who has what ticket times, etc and seeing who is dressing up. Contact Phoenix off this board for that. I think she has a post on the May Meeting out there.

I can't wait to see your costume.

WookieeFan

15. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm looking forward to the premier and the costumes that will be worn for it...can't wait to see you all there. Anyone interested in meeting earlier that evening for a late dinner. We'd be a site - that's for sure. What do you think? I figure if enough of us are interested we could meet somewhere near by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.