Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Skywalker1987, Aug 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker1987 Jedi Knight

I know, its not an ILM film, but the fx are done by them, so it kind of counts. Anyway, what was/is your opinion on the movie? alot of people hated it saying it was boring and long, but i thought it was fantastic, a sci-fi gem. I thought the storyline was engaging, the acting was magnificant, the drama was top notch as were the directing and visual effects, which most of the time wern't used to blow up ships or show us some brainless action scenes (ala, the mummy returns). I rate the movie a 9/10 because its brilliant and i'm definetely going to buy the dvd when it is released.
  2. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    this film was very good, definitly one of Speilberg's best. the acting by the leads was great, especially Osment, who should get an Oscar nomination. the music by Williams was fantastic, and Rouge City was a bizarre, but intresting place to look at, and the shots of the ruins of Manhattan were great.

***1/2 out of ****
  3. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My favourite movie of the year, and one of my favourite ever! :)

Anyway, I could say more, but I'll just leave you with this:

4 out of 5

4. AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    I liked it! It was so sad.
  5. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I finally got to see A.I yesterday, and I thought it was a fascinating, thought-provoking film. My favorite of the year and one of my favorite Spielberg films.

And call me a blasphemer, but I thought ILM's FX work for this film was even more impressive than what they did for TPM.
  6. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think TPM's effects were more impressive, but A.I.'s were utilized better.

Seeing NYC submerged has to be one of my favourite cinematic sequences. :)

7. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Skywalker1987, I think you're a little confused about the Lucas Companies. ILM only does FX, so A.I. is an ILM movie. I think you meant it's not a LucasFilm movie. ;)

And about the movie, it was cool, but I didn't understand it. :confused:
  8. specialagentcooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    i loved this movie. the sweet fairy tale in a corrupt world. go jude law!
  9. SonofSonofSons Jedi Knight

star 1
    I liked A.I. a lot. I thought it was great. But also I wished that they could have changed the story so that it was about clones, not "mecas". That way it (I think) would have a strong message, that we could relate to. Cuz I think we'er kinda closer to cloning then AI. But still I thought it was a awsome movie, half the reason was because I walked in to the theater not knowing what to excpect. (sorry, my spellings not too good :) )
  10. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    No, no, no! If David had been a clone, he would've been human! (Debatably...)

The whole point of A.I. is it's Pinochio tie-ins.

If David had been a clone, it would've been like makin Pinochio start off as a real boy.

Just wait 20 years, and people will start actually annalyzing A.I., and then they'll see it for what it is. A masterpiece.

11. darth-jihad Jedi Master

star 1
    I play the basher but I found A.I a huge disapointment. Granted Haley Joel Osment Jude Laws performance's were both excellent and ILM's work was exceptional as always. However I found that the three phases of the movie just didn't work for me.

If the movie had ended when David jumped from the skyscraper into the ocean it would have been much more satisfying IMO. The last third with the aliens felt like something from a different movie and left me asking why it was necessary.
  12. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    They weren't aliens :p

If the movie had ended with him trapped in the ocean, he never would've become 'real' and therefor the Pinochio refrence wouldn't have been as strong.

The ending is actually very similar to 2001[/b]'s, which I didn't like. I much prefer's A.I.'s.

13. Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Master

star 4
    I hated this movie! But I will agree the acting was exceptional for an SFX movie. I just thought the plot was lame... (and I blame that on Spielberg..anybody who says he should pick up Star Wars if George dies needs to be FedEx'ed straight to hell)
  14. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought it was a flawed masterpiece. Seeing New York submerged at the end was very sad.
  15. Majestic_Elliair Jedi Knight

I was very lucky I only had to see the middle of the movie. I have heard from others though that the end was just unbearable to watch. The effects were good. Jude was charming. I will say what I liked most of all was the giant legs and body building in the city. I was disapointed at the fact I don't think my little girl would have enjoyed it, it was not for kids.
  16. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "I just thought the plot was lame... (and I blame that on Spielberg.."

Uhh... Stanely Kubrick came up with the plot/story. Spielberg simply wrote the screenplay. If you didn't like the plot, blame Kubrick, not Spielberg.

17. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    Sure blame a fantastic (dead) filmaker who can't defend himself! Seriously though, anyone have a clue when AI will be released on video/dvd?
  18. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "Sure blame a fantastic (dead) filmaker who can't defend himself!"

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but Kubrick did come up with the story. :)

"Seriously though, anyone have a clue when AI will be released on video/dvd?"

The DVD is supposedly coming out January 2002 :(

19. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    I've heard early '02 also Griffz. I hope Spielberg does a commentary for it.
  20. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Now, my opinion is rather biased, as I am a huge Steven Spielberg fan, but I was so hyped up about this film, I was really rather anxious that I was going to be disapointed by it, but I wasn't. It was just fantastic. I think that it's definitey up there with Steven Spielberg's other great films, and it will probably be hailed as the classic it is in about ten years time. It's the perfect combination of two great directors. Fantastic!
  21. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Agreed. Especially as the ideas and issues in the film come closer to reality. Out of all of his films, I think this one is one of my five favorites(yeah, I'm a big fan too).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.