main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artificial Stereoscopic Video

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Figrin-Dan_Man, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I've been wondering, could you fake 3D by making a h/s adjusted version of a video (filmed by one lens, normally) in blue and red and separated them appropriately for the 3D thing......could that give you the 3D thing? I'm going to do the first ever 3D FX project, maybe. If it could work.

Thoughts?

Fig

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Would we need the glasses?

~Neszis~

3. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    For this method, yes.

4. windwaker123456789

windwaker123456789 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2003
    i always thought you had to have 2 cameras nexto each other and then make one red and the other blue but i could be wrong. i just think to make it have the 3D effect thr hast to ba a subtle differnce

5. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    for things to pop out more, you need a bigger deferance between the two views. Its really complecated how it works. the larger difference between the two views, the more it "pops" out at you. i cant think of any way you can do it that is simple. and inexpensive.

well, as usual, i cant explane it, so here is a link to a 3d glasses explanation in how stuff works .com. hope i could help somewhat! :D

6. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I have had limited success doing this with still shot cameras, so I imagine it could work for video.

If you were going to try you would need to do one of two things... The most obvious is a two camera method. For this, attach both cameras to the same mono/tripod and space them some distance apart, the further apart, the greater the depth effects will be (hammerhead shark vs. people for depth perception). However, getting the lenses properly lined up for any given shot, and getting the frames completely matched would require special rigging.

The other method is a dual lens, "single film" idea, where you would try to take two lenses spaced some distance apart, and try to combine them on the same CCD.

Either way, you are looking at a very elaborate camera rig. Once you had the two videos you could then combine them to give a stereoscopic view. You would have to rotoscope each video individually of course.

-Spiff

7. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    I was thinking using greenscreen footage, one piece of it, and duplicating it an d scooting different hued layers apart a bit.

I'll do a test when I get some time. Right now I'm going through a hectic schedule of blaster bolt hell for Movie Spoof II & III, and doing logos for Dark Side of the Moon and Pulsar Media.

Fig

8. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    That would not really get you the same effect of 3D space, Fig, but it might give Zap a headache.

You need two different perspectives. I would recommend, if you can do this, shooting your actors seperately from the bg so the actors will "jump out" more than the bg (that is if you spread the cams a bit more for the actors fottage). I'm not sure, so if you try it and have an epileptic seizure, don't sue me. Read: don't pull a Ghyslain on me, fig. 8-}

9. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    I won't. Truuuuust me.

::::Fetches cobweb covered golfball retriever:::

10. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Fig, here's a post I wrote a while ago in response to another one of your threads.

How do you alter regular images to "3D?" Hmm

Well, you could re-shoot it with a 3D lens. That would be the most convincing and easiest.

But if you had to work with pre-existing images, you could duplicate your image and in the duplicate, you could slide your subjects to one side. Your basically creating a slightly different point of view - just to the side of the original. You end up having two images with the same background and subject, but in one shot the subject is in a slightly different horizontal location, in reference to the background. It's sort of like a parallax effect, except that this isn't based on time. This would be simultaneous imaging.

For a more realistic approach, you could also take the duplicate image and distort subjects close to the lens in the duplicate image to make it look like it was shot at a slightly different angle than the original shot. You could use that 3D filter in Photoshop and rotate your object slightly around it's vertical axis. The closer an object to the lens, the more distortion it would have. Depending on the subjects in your shot, you may have to distort individual subjects separate from other subjects and the background - based on their differing distances from the lens.

When using these methods, it would help to shoot everything against a blue screen. That would prove for much easier manipulation of individual elements in the shot. But if you were gonna go to all that trouble to shoot against a blue screen, you might as well get a 3D lens and forego this hack job.

The final step would be to remove the magenta in 1 image and the cyan in the other image (and the yellow to 50% in both?). You comp the 2 shots together and zingo - you've just created a really phony looking 3D image that was shot in 2D (that is sure to give Zap a massive migrane). :p

PS - doing this for a still image and have it look cool would be hard enough. To do it at 30fps would be suicide.

11. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Well, one cheap and easy way of doing it is to remove a color channel from the video. For example, say you have red-blue glasses. You would remove the green color channel, leaving only the blue and red. This can give you some depth, b ut doesnt always work right. This is called a "True Anaglyph."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.