main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Artist Alley

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jan 20, 2017.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I've pre-ordered four so far.

Brian Rood 2017 SWC Exclusive Lithograph. It's of RO. I bought the one he sold in Anaheim, it was of ANH. I really like his style and how you can basically see the whole story unfold in one montage image.

And from the Dark Ink site I bought Bounty Hunters, Dark Legacy, and Star Wars 40th Anniversary.

For Carrie is sold out. I hope you were able to snag one Obi Anne.

I also want the 40 Years of the Force print, sold here, http://masterdigitalcolor.com/2017/03/swcoexclusive/. I think it's a great classic looking image. But to be honest, I'm a bit skeptical. Because upon ordering it, the artist requires that you pick a specific numbered copy. And while right off the bat that seems well and good, and I'm sure is offered with the best intentions, there's a part of me that doesn't want to be locked in to a specific one. When I buy things like this I like to look at several of them, and then pick the one in more pristine condition. Even very minor blemishes like small creases or bends, smudges, bent or ruffled corners, etc., can make me decide on one over the other. And after the artist handles and transports 250 of these prints to and from, it's inevitable that a few might end up with some of those minor blemishes on them. I would hate to pick mine up, and in the event I notice a minor blemish, not be able to look over a few more and pick a different one. I mean I do it all the time at Cons and have never had an issue with an artist or seller. But this is the first time I've had to pick a specific numbered copy of something before being able to look it over. Be honest with me, am I just being totally spoiled nitpicky here? Or is it reasonable to contact the artist and address this concern? For all I know he could very well tell me to F-off and if I don't buy it someone else will, and in that case I would probably just go ahead and buy it.

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I have Malcolm Tween's Rey print from last year, went with Lin Zy's Journey into the Underworld/Ahsoka one for this. There are a couple I like, but I've decided to limit myself to one each year.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'll ask anyway.

Would anyone be willing to collect anything from there and then bring it back to the UK and post it too me?

4. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Wow, that For Carrie print is really stunning. No wonder it's sold out.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It went to fast for me to be able to get one, but I will be on the lookout for other Leia prints.

I really don't want to pre-order stuff for myself, since I want the print to really "speak" to me, and I can't judge that online. One good thing with just having one empty spot on my walls is that the final spot needs to be filled with something I really like.

And I am going to talk to Erik Maell about when he's going to finish his Amidala as Mona Lisa trilogy. I had more or less counted on it now in Orlando.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  6. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
  7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Holy crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just got two more. 40 Years of the Force that I was debating about. And Yavin 4, took another look at it and decided I like it.

I got to admit, if these prints didn't have the Celebration logo on them, I probably wouldn't pick up so many. But events like these mean a lot to me and I like to have as much memorabilia from them that I can get.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  9. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Still waiting on Jason Palmer's. He teases the print on his instagram and it looks amazing but no pre-order and I thought art pre-orders ended next week. It's going to be chaotic trying to get it.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Did you order Palmer's print yet? I talked to someone working his booth at WonderCon and they said it's up for pre-order. I just checked now and on the SWC website it still says info coming soon. But then I checked his website and it looks like he is taking pre-orders there. I just picked one up.

https://squareup.com/market/jason-palmer-studios

He also still has some prints left over from Anaheim and London that he will be selling at Orlando.

11. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Yeah i pre-ordered the second he announced it on Instagram but I was on my phone and though I could see pickup, it charged me shipping and didn't give me an option not to so I paid it and then sent an email (I was afraid he would sell out). I got an email back that they are shipping after Celebration so looks like I'll just get it when I get home. But I'll definitely stop by his booth and look at it. He said in his post anyone that pre-orders and upon seeing it decides they don't want it will be refunded. He said he felt bad it's not done but he was encouraged to put it up for pre-order anyways

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Padme501st: Cool beans. I did the exact same thing with regards to being charged shipping, sent them an email about it, haven't heard back yet. But if they are shipping it than I'm cool with that, it'll be one less thing to have to bring back home with me. I really like this particular piece he is doing because it encompasses all of the 40 years of SW, rather than just being focused on a particular movie like his other Celebration pieces are.

Padme501st likes this.
  13. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    MotivateR5D4 that's exactly the reason why I've been waiting on it and rushed to get it (after For Carrie sold out so fast I got scared). He has every key player from every released movie and his attention to detail is amazing. It's the perfect memento for the 40th anniversary

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. wookieebusiness

wookieebusiness Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017

Jim is a really good guy and a fantastic artist with a style that I particularly like a lot. I think it's different from most of the stuff you see out there and would have loved to see him at SWCO. I bought a couple pieces from him when he was at a con in Nashville a couple years ago and he was so nice to talk to me for quite a while. If you ever get the chance to check out his work, you should.

(Not that the rest of these artists aren't amazing.)

15. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    MotivateR5D4 Just a heads up, I just looked at my bank statement and got a credit for the shipping on Palmer's print. I didn't get an email about the credit, though I did get an email they were shipping so now that I got refunded that, I'm going to assume I'm picking up at Celebration. You may want to check your account and maybe even check with his booth in case.

16. JakkuScavenger

JakkuScavenger Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2017
    I have a question, I'm debating whether or not to buy Palmer's print, I think it's going to be really gorgeous, but do you know if you are given any sort of protective cover or sleeve for it. I'm stressing spending $125 for an art print and have it trashed in the cargo hold of the plane. I'm not really sure how to transport it home because of how large it is. I'm pretty sure it won't even fit in my suitcase.

17. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I think they usually do but I'm bringing a hard cardboard poster tube to put it in. Also if I understand correctly it's 40 in wide so as long as my tube is 24 in long and not too skinny, I should be fine cause that's not how long the tube should be

18. JakkuScavenger

JakkuScavenger Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2017
    I was thinking about doing the cardboard tube but to be honest it makes me cringe thinking about rolling up a print I spent so much money on (I'm a broke college student),maybe that's just something I'll have to get over...

19. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Considering you are having to fly, I would recommend rolling in a tube over laying it flat in a suitcase, it will hold up better that way. Just get ready to frame it when you get home and you should be fine.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Roll for convention storage and transport home (a cardboard tube works or you can get a sturdier plastic shoulder strap version for not much), unroll it when you get home and store it/frame it however you intend. I'm only now getting around to taking prints out of the tube that I've had in storage since probably Celebration V (I know, I know, but I didn't have an alternative until now!) and they've flattened out nicely, so I can't imagine short term rolling affecting a print much at all if such long term rolling hasn't.

Valency Jane and Padme501st like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, when I emailed them they got back to me and said they would refund my shipping charge. Which I did see on my credit card statement yesterday that it was refunded. They said that upon ordering there is an option to either pick it up at their Celebration booth or have it shipped, but I don't remember seeing that. Because after I placed my order I even went through the process of ordering another one to see if I had missed something and there wasn't any other option, it just automatically included the shipping. Either way, it worked out. Anyways, yea, they said they'll mark me down as picking it up at their booth. Thanks for the heads up.

JakkuScavenger: Prints can roll up pretty easily. It doesn't do any damage to it. But yea, like others have said, just put it in a cardboard or plastic poster tube to carry it.

I'm even hoping they have mail like they did at Celebration Anaheim so you can just mail it home to yourself and don't have to carry it. I'm buying several prints so that would actually be in my favor if I could do that.

22. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Yeah people said there was an option but it wasn't on the mobile site for sure cause I did like you and recheck. Must have been a glitch. Nice of them to accommodate

23. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    According to the floor plan, there will be a small FedEx shipping room on the second level of the Convention Center. Just past the droid builders room (right across from where the Rosen Centre skywalk comes in at).

Valency Jane likes this.
  24. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    80ninjas im def planning on using the fed ex shipping, because the other option for me would be carry things around all day or get a locker and pay for checking in luggage R/T. Fed ex will be the less $ and more convenient option.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Cool, that should definitely make things easier than. It's mostly my art prints that I don't want to have to put through the X Ray at the airport and carry with me on the plane.