Artists at Celebrations Europe

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by DarthSnuggle, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Have a good flight Joe, see you soon! :cool: :D
  2. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Don't get sidetracked in Amsterdam and miss your connection ;) hehe
  3. Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG

VIP
    star 2
  4. Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG

VIP
    star 2
    Thanks for the advice ;)
  5. CC77 LFL Artist

VIP
    I'm also flying out tomorrow night and arriving Thursday morning (no layover thankfully!). Aside from my prints, I'll have lots of other original (not prints;) Star Wars art available. I hope everyone has a great time whether you pick up a print from me or not! Safe travels all, and have a BLAST!

-Cynthia
  6. IncomT65 Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the ones by Adam Hughes, JAKe (Boba Fett) and Cat, amongst others.
  7. jamierichards Jedi Master

star 4
    adam hughes gave me a right dirty look,when i peered over at his sketch pad,to see what he was drawing.
    i was discreet enough-respecting his privacy and all that.
    he was a right diva,he's off my christmas card list,i can tell you.
    anyway,his CE print wasn't all that,anyway...
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Highest marks for Dave Dorman and Joe Corroney. Dave signed my Art of Dave Dorman book and drew a small Fett for me. I bought a Fett print (the one of Boba and the Sarlacc) and had it signed with a drawing as well. I also got a Jango/Boba Fett print from Joe and my partner and I had a chat - turns out he and my partner both spent time in the same US city. Steven D. Smith was also with Dave and signed my book also.
    I saw Tsuneo Sanda. Unfortunately he didn't have any Fett prints with him or he'd have gotten a sale or two as well.
  9. VenHalcyon Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have to be honest and say that other than the actual C:E main picture by Ricky Martinez I was a bit disappointed by the CE specials - not that some of them were not really good(i loved the Sith and Jedi prints by Dan & Dan as well) - I just didn't think they were very 'Europe' for the most part - though someone put out a 'Celebration Europe' Red bus today that was cool.

Also - it p'd me off that things like the Vader Trafalgar Square and the Star Destroyers over London Bridge were so damned expensive...£45 a print is a bit steep for photo-shopped stuff like that...
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Well, when I bought the Fett print from Dave Dorman he was actually running a special - buy the CE print for £75 and get one of any other print he had for free. (This was Saturday). I just got the Fett for £30 but I know others took advantage of the offer. When I went by his stand today he was sold out of quite a few prints.
  11. VenHalcyon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Don't get me wrong, the artists had some great stuff on show - wish i'd left some cash to get a couple of the prints!
  12. redxavier Force Ghost

star 4
    I picked up Cat Stagg's TIE pilot poster. Just love it. I found it very hard not to buy more, but I essentially blew my budget on that one print and got no other merchandise at all.

One thing I did notice and that was that it looked like not many visitors were actually talking to the artists (some looked a little bored to be there); not that I was doing much chatting myself, I was too shy to introduce myself to folks like Allison and Joe, and was a little starstruck.

So, are we Brits too reserved or were there enough fans there to make it fun for those who had travelled so far to attend and make it as special for us as it had been at CIV?

EDIT - I hope there are prints still remaining, and that will be made available to those in Europe via the Star Wars shop. Spread out over a longer period like a month, I could buy a lot more than one.
  13. JED1 Force Ghost

star 4
    My wife and I picked up

Adam Hughe's Slave Leia print
    Jerry Van der Stalt's Yoda print and
    Jake Steel's Fett print
  14. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Thanks to the lovely and talented timbolton, I was able to get prints from Cat Staggs, Tom Hodges, Brent Woodside and Tommy Lee Edwards. I'm so excited and many many thanks to Tim :)
  15. IncomT65 Jedi Master

star 4
    I also picked up AH's Slave Leia print. I immediately liked the design, the whole 20s/30s look of advertising a cruise. Adam was very busy drawing stuff, so I talked mostly with his sidekick, whose name I don't remember. Did shake Adam's hand though, but he quickly went back to his drawing. No problem, I have my print and now I'll have to find me a nice frame for it.

16. LadyPoison Jedi Knight

star 1
    Huge thanks to Joe, Tom, and Marc for the very cute and fluffy ewok drawings!! :D
  17. Royd Jedi Padawan

Sorry to hear that your experience with Adam wasn't a positive one. I won't comment other than to say that there may have been reasons for Adam's reaction which we're not privy to.

However, I thought you and others at the board might be interested in viewing some sketches which Adam created at CE. They include a stunning Leia in rebel outfit, a Wonder Woman and a Black Widow. I've also included Adam's upcoming cover to the San Diego Comic Con. I didn't realise that pics wouldn't upload so just click the links :)

Best,

Royd
    Moderator, Hughes-Fans Yahoo Group

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/adamhughes11.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/AH_SDCC_web.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/ah1.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/widow1.jpg

18. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    lol, ignore Jamie's comments Royd. Jamie and Adam had a previous meeting last year in which Jamie made a bit of a pest of himself while Adam was busy trying to draw, and I think Jamie felt hurt and since then he's never been the same :p
    I can fully appreciate Adam's position though. He's being paid to do sketch commissions during the show, and for any artist it's important to get into the zone while you're drawing, which is made very difficult when people want to speak to you at the same time. It's a double edge sword really.

Anyway, I thought the artists alley was great and speaking to a few of the artists was really nice. I also got the Dave Dorman CE exclusive (very nice guy) and I just couldn't resist the Ralph McQuarrie prints so I spalshed out on Sunday afternoon. Now I have to spend a small fortune on frames :p

Please all come back for CE2 :D ;)
  19. JED1 Force Ghost

star 4
    After seeing your work at the weekend, Matt, I hope to see you sitting in artists alley with those guys at CEII, your stuff is fantastic! =D=
  20. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks Geroge, that would be a very nice thing to happen :D
    I still need to make some improvements but I do feel inspired! I may have to put the ewok illustration on hold though, lol.
  21. JED1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Not for too long though, I hope! Endor the truth! would be brilliant but it can't ever be shown to Tim, I think he'd get a bit upset! [face_laugh]
  22. Darth_Chrisious Jedi Padawan

not enough Dark Horse artists were there, I would have loved to have met Jan Duuresma
  23. jamierichards Jedi Master

star 4
    and now i feel bad about saying them nasty things about AH!
    i do love his work,and respect him as an artist... i guess you must feel like a right goldfish,being leered at by all and sundry all the live long day...
    but eleven out of ten for the real star of the show,dave dorman.
    meeting this guy was everything i ever dreamed it to be... a proper nice bloke,as was his partner in crime,the very tolerant steve smith!

without riding the coat-tails of ideas for CE,it would be great for jason and the SM crew to put a similar thing together for the LFCC.
    but with the brit-pack... bolland,gibbons,o'niell,mcmahon,etc...

and thanks for the link to AHs star wars piece for san diego. i saw it at CE and wondered what it was for...

lordtice for the next artists alley.
  24. Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG

VIP
    star 2
    I'm glad you liked my quick Ewok doodle, Laura :) It was great meeting you too!
  25. Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG

VIP
    star 2
    You should have stopped by and said hi. I really enjoy chatting with the fans (especially from the Jedi Council boards) and would have liked to have met you :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.