main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Artoo Deetoo, where are you?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Gabricjen, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    He holds the key to everything. He comes out of nowhere in TPM. No history. Lucas said he basically is telling the entire SW saga through the droids eyes. Of course, R2 needs threepio to tell us what he is thinking. The both of them will play a major role either in Ep 8 or 9. I think the Journal of the Whills will also come into play and hold the key to where R2 came from and where this saga is going!

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's interesting how you mention that he has no history. He's a mass produced piece of seemingly insignificant machinery. But a theme I love in Star Wars is how the mundane becomes extraordinary, and how nobodies rise to accomplish amazing feats. Star Wars is the only series that can make us emotionally invested in a robot that looks like a trashcan.

While an astro droid is expendable, R2 manages to beat the odds, and pretty much becomes a close friend to the main cast. He's something of an impressive piece of technology in TPM ("Wow, a real astro droid!"), but already somewhat antiquated by ANH. By TFA, R2 is pretty much ancient.

His relationship with 3PO is also interesting. Sharing scenes in all seven movies, I really want to believe in the significance behind the Whills story. Though I don't see that as a plot point, rather an epilogue to bookend the series, as told through the eyes of the two droids.

3. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    R2 shoud have signifigance. Maybe he is SNoke's.

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    He is one out of the millions of astromechs that has lasted for so long and continues to save the day. He is truly one of a kind

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Was there pre-TPM fiction written about R2?
    Stories from before she was on the Queens ship?

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, he's also pretty much the gang's dog. Maybe if you're not a dog owner you wouldn't see it, but dogs are clearly what Artoo's sounds and mannerisms mimic. That scene on Dagobah where he's outside in the rain making that whimper sound looking inside the hut at Luke and Yoda is exactly the way my dog looks and sounds when she wants to come in the house.

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Funny thing, I named my dog Artoo :)

Gabricjen likes this.
  8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I don't recall anything, and judging by the Legends section of R2's page on Wookieepedia, doesn't look it. Though who knows, the new EU might cover that or would there be much to cover? Was R2 fairly new in TPM?

9. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    I think he will have deeper meaning