main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artoo's Memory (Dark Nest Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sisyphusrocks, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I wanna know what you said... :(

2. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Me too. :(

3. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    I am most intriguied with this line and was quite happy to read it in TJK.

I'm thinking that Anakin's fall and rationale for the dark side could be just what Luke needs to bring the NJO away from it's dangerous Potentium heresy...

4. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Let's look at this logically:
    Anakin goes to the darkside>chokes Padme>Padme dies of a broken heart
    so if
    Anakin does not turn to the darkside>does not choke Padme>Padme doesn't have a broken heart to die from
    therefore
    ANAKIN IS RESPONSIBLE
    In our screwed up legal system Anakin would probably beat the criminal charge but you can be sure he'd have to pay civil damages lol

5. sisyphusrocks

sisyphusrocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2005
    Another thought that I found here was that it could simply be the 'chosen one' information that Artoo is concealing. I'm not sure what effect that would have on Luke though?

6. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm thinking that Anakin's fall and rationale for the dark side could be just what Luke needs to bring the NJO away from it's dangerous Potentium heresy...

I'm thinking along the same lines. Luke is already thinking about it but by seeing more info on Anakin would be more like a confirmation of his thought process.

7. sisyphusrocks

Jul 10, 2005
    Well why would this stop Artoo from passing the information on?

8. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Because Artoo had the hots for Vergere?

9. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    It shouldn't stop it, i meant it would be good to for R2 to show it because it could help Luke in some capacity or at least give him the knowledge he rightley deserves to know but of course R2 is like his big brother in a way he justs wants to protect him R2 probably doesn't want Luke's feelings to get hurt. Which is a poor excuse but really there is no excuse for him to keep it from him.

10. sisyphusrocks

Jul 10, 2005
    Hmm, I'm thinking that if the footage of Padme being strangled was shown to Luke it might actually help to reinforce the way he is taking the Jedi Order. Alot of Anakin's problems stemmed from a lack of trust and not being able to talk openly about them to other Jedi.

It would depend on how R2 put the 'highlights package' together.

11. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I agree.

12. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I don't know how R2-D2 thinks that he is protecting Luke. Actually, it is a bit condescending from the droid, don't you think? I am sure that a Jedi Master in his fifties could handle any information thrown at him.

So what if Luke finds out that Anakin / Vader choked Padme? For starters, he didn't even know who his mother was, so there is real no emotional attachment, and secondly, he knew that Anakin / Vader was predominantly evil (even though he still had good in him, blah blah blah), so really, should he be suprised by that act???

13. sisyphusrocks

Jul 10, 2005
    I am at a loss as well, I do not like Padme, she was at her best in TPM, AOTC and ROTS do not show her to be a very good politician. Surely there must be something juicier that Artoo is hiding.

Anakin had him for ages and loved tinkering with stuff, maybe he used R2 as a voyeur cam in the Temple's female change rooms?

Or more likely he put the location of something, or some important data into a heavily protected sector.

14. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Unfortunately, if ALL the Cut-Scenes were inserted back into AOTC and ROTS, we would have had a better picture of Padme as a politician. Ie: the court / trial scenes with Dooku in AOTC, the formation of the Rebellion in ROTS.

15. sisyphusrocks

Jul 10, 2005
    Yeah, maybe. I think she was far too weak in ROTS for any amount of additional footage to make a difference. She broke my heart, she went down a road i cannot follow! Leia kicked ass while pregnant. Padme sat at home and ate alot.

I don't think the additional reasons given in the novel for her non appearance carry much weight either.

16. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    ROTFLOL! [face_laugh]

17. AidenSunfell

AidenSunfell Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005

Yea, and look how her kids ended up. An arrogant hippy, a moody bug-hugger, and a corpse ;)

And what did sitting in a lush Coruscant apartment pigging out on gelmeat and hot chocolate get us? Luke and Leia.

18. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I'm not convinced that Artoo is hiding anything by free will. The RotS VD states that Anakin modified him to keep quiet about certain things, such as Anakin and Padme's marriage. Since Artoo's personality was already developed at that point it's possible that Ghent couldn't see the differences between the hard-coded part and the self-generated parts of the personality matrix.

/Charlii

19. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I think we should go back and look at Artoo's behavior in the OT. (Note: this theory largely nixed from stinrab. :p) He clearly never wanted Luke to get mixed up with Yoda - one could argue it was because he didn't want what happened to Anakin to happen Luke. In his little astromech brain, his friend left home, trained to be a Jedi, fell in love, then died/turned into a monster. Maybe he's still trying to protect Luke from certain information, for fear that it'll lead him down the same path as his father.

20. Master_Desann

Master_Desann Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    I thought of this in another thread I think I'll bring it up here as well;

I have remembered several sources that implies Threepio never really got the mind wipe or some how got access to his memories again.

In union threepio remembers he was built on tatooine.

Then there was a tv special shown around the time of the release of AOTC. The framing story was set at some point after Return of the Jedi, in it Artoo and Threepio were on some kind of ship or space station with stars in the windows behind them, they were reminencing about their past, and their memories of events together and recording them into a computer for later historians (as video with commentary), while comparing similarities of Leia to Padme, and Luke to Anakin that they could remember. Their memories included scenes from TPM, ANH, ESB, ROTJ and a few bits from AOTC.

One can assume had the special not ended at the point they were remembering the events of AOTC, they would have went into memories of ROTS as well.

Unless of course threepio's mind wipe only included the events of ROTS...

21. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    TV appearances don't always count. Would you count Luke and the droids' appearance on the Muppet Show or the Droids' appearance on Sesame Street? Chewbacca's appearance on the MTV Movie Awards? I wouldn't be surprised if LucasBooks doesn't try to claim that a wiped memory can be recovered by an expert slicer (like Ghent) but they would have to know 3PO was there and right now they don't. If you interviewed both of them, you would get a pretty complete picture of the events of the prequel trilogy. Maybe 3PO was originally manufactured on Tattooine before he was junked and rebuilt by Anakin and that fact is hardwired into his memory.

22. veamon69

veamon69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2005
    Maybe he saw the fight between Anakin and Obiwan? Or at least the part where he lopped off his legs and arm, and doesn't want Luke to see that? Or maybe the confrontation between the two before the big fight started?

23. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    V appearances don't always count. Would you count Luke and the droids' appearance on the Muppet Show
    Aw, come on, that episode was too good to be passed up into Infinities. :( I wanna see that one referenced in a guide. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna. :_|

Regarding Threepio, I thought that the ending of The Unifying Force seemed to imply that R2D2 was about to tell heer Pio more about their pre-OT past?

24. sisyphusrocks

Jul 10, 2005
    Yeah thats a great guide to parenting, I agree just before birth all dads should strangle the mum and wait for her to die, split the kids up and never see them until you torture one, then kill her adopted parents and blow up their house for good measure. Be sure to chop the other one's hand off too.

It all comes from nature, nurture has no part.

25. Master_Desann

Master_Desann Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    "droids' appearance on the Muppet Show or the Droids' appearance on Sesame Street? Chewbacca's appearance on the MTV Movie Awards?"

Are you really intending the reductio ad absurdum approach of comparing a story that occurred in the galaxy far far away against cameo appearances that occured on earth? Sorry, I don't see any thing in common with your examples. The story in the special made no connection to earth at all, and sat completely within the framing story of it taking place in the star wars galaxy some point after ROTJ.

If anything the tv special had more in common with Holiday Special, Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars, and Ewok movies. That being stories made for television that take place in the galaxy far far away. That make absolutely no connection to earth at all. All of which as far as I know are considered part star wars history.

As for the credits for the special anyone know who wrote the framing story? Also is it up on hyperspace?

"Maybe 3PO was originally manufactured on Tattooine before he was junked and rebuilt by Anakin and that fact is hardwired into his memory."

Actually he was originally manufactured on some other planet. I hear there was even a source where he remembers that fact as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.