main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aruebesh...how would it sound

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Likewater, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    There is a great divide...

thoughs who pronounce Z properly "Zed"

And the bad mother kriffers who kick logic to the curb and pronounce it the AWSOME way! "Zee"

We say Zee-bra

they say Zeb-ra

unholy isn't it?

How would the alphabet of the GFFA sound

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The same as Earth's alphabet.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Aurek, besh, cresh, etc. is still aye, bee, cee, etc. The writing system may be different, but the letters still have the same values as our alphabet. Senth peth aurek mern would still spell "spam."

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I believe the difference between Zee-bra and Zeb-ra is in the length of the vowel "e", not the consonant "z", which is pronounced the same in both pronunciations.

Zee-bra features a long "e" and Zeb-ra features a short "e". British folks tend to pronounce it "Zeb-ra", while Americans pronounce it "Zee-bra". The difference between pronunciations is actually in the accent.

To answer your question, it depends on the character's accent. Someone with a Coruscanti (British) accent would say "Zeb-ra", while someone with a Corellian (American) accent would pronounce it "Zee-bra".

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  6. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    I have never heard anyone say "Ze-bra". And I'm Canadian; we use British spellings and pronunciations a lot of the time.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    That's cool, but I have. Many, many times.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'll ask this, here: Why don't all the Jedi (those who were raised there in the temple from birth, anyway) have Coruscanti accents?

Then again, considering the entire clone army has a kiwi accent (it's genetic!?) I guess accents are used in Star Wars as shorthand for the character's place of birth and/or ancestry and not really meant to be taken seriously.

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Hmmm. I'm Canadian and have lived in many regions of the country. I can honestly say I've never heard it pronouced Zebra once. I've always heard it as Zeebra. We don't say Zee in the alphabet. We Say Zed as the British do but still, never heard anything but Zee when saying Zebra.

10. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Because not all Jedi were raised there since birth.

The whole Jedi raised since birth but no Jedi parents is a stupid concept when you realize how big one planet is. You might never find the best canidate just after birth, you might not find the best within the 1st five years of life, if you just were picking canidates from one planet.

And it was clear many worlds only allowed their jedi to be trained by Jedi of similar ethnicity. Such as Mirialans, and tholoth jedi.

So I call bull on the training from birth, it's non sensical.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I shouldn't have been so specific.

Let me amend "from birth" to "from a very young age" which, -- as stated/shown in the films -- was the norm. If you take an English kid from London, age 5, and raise him in Liverpool he'll most likely come out the other end with a scouse accent. So why don't all the Jedi sound like Obi-Wan Kenobi?

I always imagined the Republic had an extensive DNA database the Jedi made use of. But I may be wrong.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I imagine that on "civilized" worlds all babies born in a hospital are given a midichlorian test at birth and the relevant results are sent off to Coruscant.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the Forticum Kadab.

Oh, wait.