Tucson As a fan.. do you belive in the EU or feel it is not the real story because GL didn't write it

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I wanted to start this thread.. though it may only get a few replies.. because it is such a big deal for me.. I started reading the EU as it is referred to now.. before the EU existed..in 1977.. before anyone could say GL didn't say it.. so it isn't so... to note. GL licensed and gave rights to authors to move his story along.. yet when GL disagrees he just writes his own endings and figures we won't care that we read something completely different in one of the EU books.. so how do you view the Star Wars Universe.. do you think only canon counts.. or do you think ALL the star wars universe counts.. I am a believer in the EU.

point to note.. boba fett died in the sarlacc.. but yet.. he goes on to live for another story.. surviving the sarlacc

point to note.. padme dies in childbirth... yet.. in the ROTJ novel... she is remembered not just by Leia.. but by Luke as well..

point to note.. from hal.. leia was 16.. luke was 19.. I have not read that.. but.. I can explain this one.. same as the others above.. Leia was perhaps told that age to prevent anyone in the empire from suspecting she was the child of anakin.. forget that she was already on the planet three years before.. I can't explain everything away..
  2. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4

not to mention that women lie about thier age anyway... [face_beatup]
  3. timstephens4 Jedi Knight

star 2
    One of the biggest EU discrepancies I have seen and read is the creation of the Death Star. In ALL of the New Republic Era novels, it mentions that Bevel Lemelisk designed the Death Star. Then, GL throws out that the Geonosians did in Ep. II. (Note: the New Republic Era ended "officially" in 1998, before TPM even came out) This was kinda addressed in The New Essential Guide to Characters saying that Bevel worked with the Geonosians, but this is one BIG discrepancy. Also, on a similar topic, the Jedi Academy Trilogy states that the Emperor and Vader had no knowledge of where the Death Star was being built. Yet at the end of Ep. III we clearly see both guys watching the construction. This just makes it clearer that GL does not read the books. He also doesn't know what is really going on in his company. I read in an issue of Insider, that Kevin J. Anderson started with Lucasfilm at the time he was writing the Jedi Academy Trilogy a databse that chronicled the history of the SW universe. This was in response to the Dark Empire series being published after the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which obviously impacts the trilogy, what with the third Solo child being born and all. Needless to say, there are a lot of discrepancies between the EU and GL, and someone needs to fix them.
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Basically I'm not a fan of the EU. I liked it but after that whole jasper morelle (sp) thing with Fett and him getting out of the sarlac (I did like that) and being at Dengar's wedding (if I remember) I just could not take it anymore. I like the NJO stuff but not much from the books before that had: Luke as a hermit, Han was bruding over not having direction, Leia was bogged down with politics, and the kids were fighting off being kidnaped every other book, it just wore thin on me after several reads.
  5. GoG Jedi Knight

star 2
    I didnt read anything that anyone said yet, but based upon the topic...

The 6 movies are Gold.. They are emotion, love, hate, desire... simply a masterpiece..

But, they tell a small part of the creation... Lets say the movies never existed, and some people starting writing about this star wars, saber, sith crap.. It wouldnt flow with me.. My itnerest is to see what is built upon what I already know.. Some of my favorite star wars reading/interest is actualy from the EU...

I guess, in short.. My heart has died with the end of the saga, but EU is keeping me alive.

GL is a God of the genre, no doubt. But EU will give us a chance to die years from now still in star wars, and itll create a winderful constant flowing gap for our kids kids to not just think of "star wars" as a movie 40 years ago.

GoG
  6. Jamesmorbidia Jedi Knight

star 1
    It all goes bact to the great Kenobi quote "It all depends on a certan point of view"

Remeber History is written by the victorious. Descrepancies will occur in any "historical" dictation. Yes its made up, but its written by many diffrent points of view. Take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy that the universe expands and lives on for our enjoyment and addictions :)
  7. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    To me Star Wars is such a visual media I couldnt stand reading it. Im a pretty pictures type of guy.
  8. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    wow.. thrilled with the response on this one!!![face_dancing]
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.