main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As a person, can a sith feel the need to love, or to be loved??

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ana_V, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana_V

Ana_V Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2008
    We all know that love is one of the main needs of a sensitive being. To give it or to receive it.
    The siths feed their dark side powers trough powerful feelings like anger, hate, lust. But if they are enough sensitive to feel these emotions, why wouldn?t they feel love??
    Think about Darth Maul, at some point in his life, his heart must craved for love. Think about the siths, Exar Kun, Ulic, Revan, Malak, Kaan, Kopecz, Kas?im, Qordis, Githany, Darth Bane, Darth Plagueis, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, Darth Wyyrlok, Darth Nihl, Darth Talon............. perhaps after all they did, after all their schemes, plots, machinations, in their very hearts, all they wanted was to be loved, to be appreciated, to feel that someone in the galaxy cares for him/her.
    We can say that they just wanted power, fame, glory, control, but I think that they sought for those things because they were desperate to fill their hearts with something.
    They suffered, the dark side was and is suffering, and they would be happy to leave it, but they couldn?t because in all the cases the dark side becames their lives. Out of the sith, without the power they relied on, they didn?t know anything, and they were conscious about it. Just like Darth Sion said before dying: "I am glad to leave this place?at last."

2. anubis01

anubis01 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2008
    well a few and I mean a very few amount of sith came to regreat their path, for the most part those sith were pleased with their choices.

I would say a sith can not feel the need to love, thats the whole point of being a sith. They dont care about anyone but themselves. Look at Darth Zannah. She eventually made the choice between the love of her cousin versus power, and she makes a cold choice in that regard to get more power.

The darkside destroys the sith's ability to love...the ones that give in at least.

3. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. I believe his love for his mother and padme contributed to his fall.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Anakin's fall was so poorly written and illogical it shouldn't even be discussed. At best you could say his fear and anger at having to lose the people he cared about tilted him towards the dark side, and even then it makes no sense that he goes from "I'll do whatever you ask" to "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!!"

5. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    The novel was much better than the movie at explaining Anakin's mindset. He knew all about what Palpatine did, and he wanted POWER.

6. YVH

YVH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm getting a sense of deja vu from this topic. I get the feeling that there was a topic like this with the exact same title..

Caedus loved Allana and Tenel Ka, and wanted to be loved by them. And of course, Anakin Skywalker's fall, Padme, attachment, etc. But I think the One Sith's habit of being descended from other One Sith has a lot more to do with lust than love. I think Cade said something about that in Legacy...23, was it? About how Darth Talon had the passion, but where the love that goes with that passion should have been, there was nothing but darkness...

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Absolutely.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    When you think about what the Sith tombs on Korriban represent about the Sith, you get the answer to this: They don't, but they may well term the possessive impulse love. Sith wish to possess and control everything, they wish to continue doing so either after or in death - the tomb being their final statement of what they were.

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I would say yes.
    The problem I see is with the concept of love tehy have, and how close it is to what we'd call love. There's enough unhealty realtionsships called love here on earth alreday, so I'd say the Sith have no problem taking those a few levels higher.
    Which then leads to them wanting love, but not understanding it. They try to get what love is to them and wonder it's not working as it's supposed to be.

Not sure I'm making any sense here. :oops:

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But though the people in an unhealthy relationship may use the term love, do they demonstrate it? Love is more than a word or concept, it involves a certain way of being and acting that's quite alien to the Sith.

At the heart of any relationship is a spirit of compromise, of not always putting your own needs first because another's is more important to you and the continuance of the relationship you have together above that. If a person is looking at relationships through a prism of control and possession, it's unlikely they'll ever really know love and for the Sith power, control and possession are all.

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Okay, if you see it like that.
    For me, at the heart of a realtionship is committment. You commit youself to the realtionship no matter what.

What I think.:D But do they think the same? I wonder if a Sith might not be convinced he's actually 'loving' somebody' even if he's incapable of it. I don't think the need to love/be loved can be taken from a being. That makes a Sith's position doubly difficult because he'd long for something he doesn't understand.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't see the terms of compromise and commitment being mutually exclusive, if anything what I also said is the reason for the compromises is the importance of the relationship - so in effect the commitment remains the centre of it.

As for the Sith, oh I'm sure the word can be used by them, that they might even think possession is love.

So yeah, I'd say we're in agreement - bar linguistic technicalities. ;)

13. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yes.

Firstly, a Sith can feel the need to be loved; in fact, this is what's much more likely than for them to feel love. This need becomes the driving force for them to do some of the evil they do; further, it provides motivation for their dominance. It's not hard to imagine someone's twisted desire for love causing them to use their Sith powers to manipulate someone into loving them, and then them feeding off of that love, using it, living off it. And so, on a quiet, domestic level, they practice the very heart of Sithdom; dominance and power. I can envision many a person falling to the ways of the Sith that way...

14. MasterKenobi1138

MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2008
    Do the Sith feel love? Consider this quote by psychologist Carl Jung:

I've always considered the division between the philosophies of the Jedi and the Sith to be similar to this split of love and power. The Jedi serve the galaxy through a 'universal love' and denying themselves the opportunity to seize control with their strength of the Force, because they are concerned with letting nature take its own course and preventing others from disrupting that course.

The Sith, on the other hand, seem to feel that it is power which matters more, and so long as they have it, they will use it. Everything must be controlled. It is not how well the people are living (if at all) under their rule, but how well the individual Sith thrives over everyone else.

Take the case of Anakin Skywalker. He was under the belief that his wife was going to die, but he did not go to the Jedi for help. He did not trust Obi-Wan or Yoda or the Council, because to do so would be to reveal his secret marriage to Padme and so give the Jedi leverage over him. And by turning to Palpatine, Anakin was more than willing to sacrifice the Republic and the Jedi to save his wife, even though Padme was a staunch defender of both these institutions. He longer cared about her as a person, but as a measure of his power. If he could keep his own wife from death through sheer effort of will, then surely nothing would be impossible for Anakin Skywalker. Whether or not Padme actually wanted to live as a demonstration of his new powers was immaterial in his mind.

When Padme dies, then, all Anakin has left is the power afforded to him as Darth Vader, and so he continues to live as a servant and slave of the Emperor until his second chance for authentic love comes in the form of his son Luke, through which he breaks his addiction to power and abandons his dreams of succeeding Sidious through one final act of selflessness.

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Love is a form of passion, and a Sith feeds upon passion as a means of accessing the Force.

16. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    =D= I agree with everything said in this post.

The dark side is fueled by negative emotions. Recall what Yoda said: "Anger, fear, aggression... the dark side, are they." A Sith will draw upon his passions, yes, but only those provided by negative emotions.

However, as positive as the emotion of love is, it holds many dangers. It can breed distrust, jealousy, anger, and eventually hatred. Anakin Skywalker is a prime example. He feared to lose what he loved most and allowed that fear to control him. It wiggled its way inside of him, breeding anger and hatred as that fear increased. Eventually, that fear destroyed everything he was originally trying to protect. Love is a positive emotion, but for every wonder it can bring, there is the potential for great disaster (hence why the Jedi forbid it... but that's another argument).

17. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    Vader loved Padme didn't he?

18. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Vader loved the idea of loving Padme. Everything he did was selfish, though.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In addition we were told that even Plagueis had people he "cared about".

20. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    Yep. In fact, he loved her to death. :p

21. Tyber_Zahn

Sep 20, 2008
    I thought she just lost the will to live.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't see any reason that a Sith couldn't have a dysfunctional and possessive 'love.'

23. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    What boring villains they would be if they couldn't feel love. Star Wars as a whole wouldn't have worked if the Sith didn't love. "Love" surrounded Vader in some way for his entire life. I doubt he ever fully forgot Padme or purged her or his mother's death then Luke comes along. There was a need to control but an undercurrent of deep love. You know he loves Luke the second he knows of him even if it's combined with a desire to find a way to destroy the Emperor. But for a Sith to give into love is to let go of the dark side.

24. YVH

YVH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2007
    According to The Essential Guide To The Force, in order to access one particular Sith holocron (I think it had to do with creating monsters?), Palps had to fill 3 chambers of it with the blood of 3 people, and one of those people was "One whom you love". And he did access the holocron in the end, so he must have loved someone...

Or I could just be remembering wrong because it's late at night. I don't think I've got any Essential Guides with me, could someone quote the relevant passage?

25. Tyber_Zahn

Sep 20, 2008
    Real question is can a traditional PT era Jedi feel the need to love or be loved? Love is after all an attachment and something they're meant to do away with in their pursuit to be become one with the Force. Sith are actually encouraged to have attachments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.