main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As fast as Jenn is pretty: Sonic and the Secret Rings (Spoiler: Thats faster then WildFire)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    THE WHAT:

Sonic and the Secret Rings (ソニックと秘密のリング, Sonikku to Himitsu no Ringu?), formerly known by the working title Sonic Wild Fire, is a video game within the Sonic the Hedgehog series to be released exclusively for the Wii on February 20, 2007 in North America, in Japan on March 15, 2007[13], and in Europe on March 2, 2007.[4] The game is played in such a way that takes advantage of the Wii Remote mechanism: by holding the Wii Remote sideways with both hands, similarly to the NES controller, and then tilting it left or right to move Sonic in the desired direction. Unlike preceding games for the system, the game will not make extensive use of the Nunchuk peripheral, but it will be used in some of the mini-games in the Party Mode of the game.

THE SHINY:

[image=http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/761/761631/sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20070205050217146.jpg]

[image=http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/761/761631/sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20070205050220083.jpg]

[image=http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/758/758615/sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20070125035431605.jpg]

THE MOVIES:

CLICKABLE

WHAT THEY SAY:

THEY SAY IT'S PRETT OKAY

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE:

This maybe it ladies and gentlemen (and Flares) this might be the 3D Sonic game that Sega gets right. No obese cats, no Tails in battlemechs, no WHY THE HELL IS THERE AN EMO HEDGEHOG WITH A GUN?!!! ARRRGGHHHH!!! Theres only you, the blue streak speeding by, and you run. Run. RUN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT. Like when new Sonic games would be something to look froward to, instead of another reason to cry and wonder why Sega insists on raping their premier franchise. And it would take an low powered, quirky Nintendo console to do it.

Somewhere, Alanis Morsette is singing.

2. Spookshow

Spookshow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast was awesome.

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I like how I keep coming up in your thread titles.
    And how you keep misspelling my name.
    It's two n's dear.

But yeah, this game looks pretty awesome. I <3 Sonic and if you reserve this game at Game Stop you get free Sonic wristbands!

4. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Well I did promise that my next thread would be nicer to you.
    And I am a man who keeps my word.

Sometimes

Occasionally.

Very Rarely.

Hardly ever.

5. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Ugh. Sorry Yane, but I will never reserve again, not after what Gamestop did to me with my last reserve.

6. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Pfft. As if anyone would preorder to just get a little wristband.

Oh god I am wearing mine now.

7. aetherius

aetherius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    As I skim through topic titles I simply see:

"As fast as Jenn is pretty:"

Dang that small disorder. My apologies for the other topic before, tried the search function yet when I typed in Sonic the only thing that came up was the Sonic Next-Gen topic I posted last week.

Anyways, game looks great. Camera issues look resolved, controls are innovative to the series, graphics look colorful and are nearly the best I've seen on Wii, and the mini-games look fun. I'd see this scoring a nine in places like IGN and Gamespot if the previews are right and it's "the best Sonic game to date."

8. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    It'll probably reach a high of 8.5 on average, if it's as good as they claim so far.

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Low and behold, IGN reviews Sonic and the Secret Rings ... and rates it at 6.9. Clearly not as good as the previews suggested. Disappointing.

10. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    That's interesting, IGN is usually notorious for being much too nice with reviews, while Gamespot is kinda harsh. And yet:

IGN: 6.9
    Gamespot: 7.6

Overall: 75.9% from Game Rankings.

From what I can tell, it seems like a decent game, that is definitely fun, but certainly not perfect. But most importantly a step in the right direction.

11. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    That's very true, it's certainly a step in the right direction. I'm interested, now, to see if Sega continue the Sonic franchise on the DS where they seem to be making a far better record (that includes the GBA renditions).

12. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    So, has anyone actually played the game and can give some thoughts of it other then trusting IGN/Gamespot?

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    The IGN review is completely silly. Read through it, and almost everything actually said is positive. Yes he points out the flaws in this game and there are some flaws. But look a look through the history shows that every 3d sonic game besides the 360/PS3 one scored the same or higher, and yet Matt says this is the best 3d Sonic. It's idiotic.

What I have to say: this game is a godsend. Nearly everything that was wrong in the other 3d games is fixed here. The camera is set behind you, you don't have to play as any stupid side characters, and more then that the game is fast. I mean breakneck. You can go screaming through the jungles, then BOOM you're log riding in a second. It's like that. And the story is minimal thank the lords for that. The controls work like a dream. If you die it's your own fault and not game mechanics, which is a far cry from the other games. All the cutscenes are skippable and it's almost nostalgic in a way, like old cartoon shows when they go into a parallel universe and all their friends are dressed as something different.

And it's pretty. It's one of the first Wii game that LOOKS like a Wii game. The visuals are sharp and the effects are gorgeous.

What I am trying to say is this game is the Sonic game we've waited for. It's a true return to spirit. It even uses the original Sonic design instead of the new one they used for the ngen consoles. And the original soundtracks are unlockable. If you need a new Wii game or want a Sonic game done right or just a fast platformer, get this game.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I picked this up a few days ago and am quite pleased with it. The controls are extremely intuitive. The only thing that took me some time was pushing the wiimote forward to do a homing attack. It became much easier once I realized all you really have to do is shake it a little. This is the first Sonic game I've played since Genesis and I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.