main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends As it is in Heaven (afterlife-Anakin/Padme-extreme mush) Chap. 8 Updated 1/24

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Anakins_Force, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Title: As it is in Heaven
    Author: Anakins_Force
    Timeframe: Post ROTJ
    Characters: Anakin, Padmé, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: Yet another afterlife story~Anakin Skywalker receives his happy ending.
    Notes: Thank you Mithrissa for the beta work! I wrote this immediately after ROTS (first fic), but it's been on the back burner for a while.
    Disclaimer: The characters belong to Lucas. This is for fun only and not monetary gain.

?Some part of Anakin Skywalker still existed in him, despite all he had done. He would have to eliminate it or it would eventually be his undoing.?
    -Shadows of the Empire

As it is in Heaven

Prologue

?Wrong we were, about Skywalker. Another chance we have,? said Yoda.

Obi-Wan straightened. "He?s here.?

"You should be the one to meet him, Obi-Wan" said Qui-Gon.

"You think that's wise??

"I do," replied Qui-Gon with a grin.

Chapter One: Arrival

?And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.?
    -Kahlil Gibran

I opened my eyes slowly. I could not place where I was. I was sitting in a field but I could see a city nearby, with tall buildings and trees. The city was unlike any other--it sparkled; it looked almost alive.

My mind felt muddled, confused. What happened? I brought my hands up to my eyes and rubbed my temples. My hands. I had not had both of my hands since I was twenty years old. I jerked my hands back down and stared at the flesh--all ten fingers were there. My face--no scars. And hair--loose curls almost touching my shoulders.

How is this possible? I yanked my pants leg out of my boot--pants, not thick black, but the traditional brown pants of a Jedi Knight. Under the coarse fabric were my legs. Not the durasteel I was accustomed to, but flesh and bone. No mask, no scars, no wires.

Breathing. A few months ago I managed to breathe on my own for a few moments, by calling on the power of the dark side. Maintaining it had been trying; I had to focus on the injustice of my condition and cling to my rage to achieve a few moments of normal breathing. But this was easy, requiring no concentration.

Obi-Wan appeared--he stood before me, smiling. Smiling? I could not clear my head. Suddenly it all came rushing back: Endor, Luke, my Master. Luke! I jumped up and grabbed Obi-Wan.

"Where is my son? Is he safe?" I could hear the desperation in my voice. I had said those words once before, and the answer haunted me for twenty-four years. I waited.

"He is safe--he is on Endor, with Leia,"

My mind raced. Leia...my daughter. Princess Leia Organa. I didn?t know. That time on the Death Star...no. I will not think of that now. I will not think of the destruction of Alderaan and the death of Bail Organa. Bail who raised my daughter, loved her. Bail, who had Padmé's trust. At least I got to spend those few moments with Luke.

Chapter Two: Flashes of Life

Before I could speak to Obi-Wan again, he smiled and faded away.

?Obi-Wan, don?t leave!?

I rushed forward to try and stay with him, but the landscape fell away, Obi-Wan along with it. The clean sparkling city evaporated and I plummeted, landing in a sand filled world.

Tatooine materialized in front of me--hot, dusty, and dry. I found myself standing in Watto?s shop staring down at the bare floor. I had just dropped a power converter down the dirty concrete steps and the plug broke off.

Watto raised his hand to hit me. I flinched. I was a boy again, in a five year-old body. His fist struck the side of my head and I bit my lip to stop crying aloud. Fear and anger burned through me...and guilt? The part of me that was Watto felt his guilt as he shot backwards. From the inside, I saw him as he truly as was, foul tempered and greedy, but not cruel.

The world swirled again and I found myself, still a child, but older, standing in the bedroom of my mother?s house. ?Here he is,

2. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    =D= Great start. More soon please?

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Watto raised his hand to hit me. I flinched. I was a boy again, in a five year-old body. His fist struck the side of my head and I bit my lip to stop crying aloud. Fear and anger burned through me...and guilt? The part of me that was Watto felt his guilt as he shot backwards. From the inside, I saw him as he truly as was, foul tempered and greedy, but not cruel.

Ahh..to be able to see the world through another's eyes! Isn't this the greatest gift one could ever hope for?

I saw Obi-Wan standing in front of me as I returned to the Temple from Coruscant?s lower levels. He was staring at me with a stern expression but the emotion I felt now was not exasperation, but concern. He was worried about me?worried that I didn?t have any friends.

This part of the review had to be a fantasy, because Obi-Wan hadn?t worried about me, not like that. He worried that I might bring disgrace to him or to the Order, but he hadn?t worried about me, had he? Under the worry, he was pleased that Tru and I were working together to stay out of trouble?he hoped I?d have a friend.

Had I been wrong about Obi-Wan for so many years?

This is wonderful. For Anakin to reconsider his life is just...beautiful.

Lovely start! I look forward to reading more! @};-

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Wow.

I'm impressed, and even the title is evocative and moving.=D=

5. mithrissa

mithrissa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Anakin's Force, this is a wonderful addition to the afterlife stories!

You've managed to capture Anakin's voice well - first person POV can be so hard. There is some lovely disjointed lines which really give the feel of his stream of consciousness. (Good use of short sentences to give the effect structurally too).

Anakin's confusion and ...joy? on his arrival are vividly potrayed - I almost felt like I could feel it myself.

My mind felt muddled, confused. What happened? I brought my hands up to my eyes and rubbed my temples. My hands. I had not had both of my hands since I was twenty years old. I jerked my hands back down and stared at the flesh--all ten fingers were there. My face--no scars. And hair--loose curls almost touching my shoulders.

How is this possible? I yanked my pants leg out of my boot--pants, not thick black, but the traditional brown pants of a Jedi Knight. Under the coarse fabric were my legs. Not the durasteel I was accustomed to, but flesh and bone. No mask, no scars, no wires.

I also love the sequential colour imagery which you used when blurring the scenes in the life review together - atmospheric and meaningful - a nice touch.

The backdrop of our apartment vanished and gray walls reformed around me in blur.

The churning air grew black around me and I was cloaked in the searing heat of a volcano.

The red edges of Mustafar bled away and morphed into gray sterile walls as I woke up to my new Master's callous voice

Well Done! This was great! I look forward to reading, and betaing, the rest of it.

6. Ben_Watson

Ben_Watson Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    Well done indeed! Great! More please!

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    :_| This is absolutely marvelous, Padawan!!! :eek: After reading your first chapter, I knew this would be powerful. Your imagery makes the reader literally see through Anakin's eyes. Brava!!@};-

I can't wait to see where you go with this!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, stunning start.

9. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    "Impressive... Most impressive"

10. Nightflower

Nightflower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    Great start, Anakin's Force! =D= (Man, I'm sure glad I won't have to endure a life review like his! Poor guy, I'm surprised he didn't go crazy right there...) ;)

Blessings! And more, please!

Nightflower

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great start! I can't wait for more! =D=

12. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    wow...that was very very good =D=

More soon, please? [face_praying]

13. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    :eek: This. Is. So. GOOD!!!!

The life review confused me a little bit at the beginning (cuz I'm slow and couldn't figure out what was goin' on), but it just about broke my heart for Anakin to realize just how devoted, how much Obi-Wan loved him!

?Most people are exhausted after their life review?it?s quite an experience.?

That sounds like the understatement of the century! I can not wait to see more of this!!!!

14. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    This is wonderful! More soon, please!

15. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    :eek: :eek:

=D= =D=

Wow! This is amazing! Great job! I could really feel that I was Anakin, which is a pretty hard thing to pull off. And the way Anakin relived his life was a great idea, and that he was able to see it through the eyes of others was very poignant. I'll quote my favorite lines- just 'cuz I can. :p

From the inside, I saw him as he truly as was, foul tempered and greedy, but not cruel.

This part of the review had to be a fantasy, because Obi-Wan hadn?t worried about me, not like that. He worried that I might bring disgrace to him or to the Order, but he hadn?t worried about me, had he? Under the worry, he was pleased that Tru and I were working together to stay out of trouble?he hoped I?d have a friend.

As the images spun around me, only one thing remained constant ? Obi-wan?s love. Even when I was twelve, fourteen, and sixteen--he had loved me. By the time I was eleven it was as strong as the love any father has for his son. I had known he had cared about me once I had become a Knight?after years of resentment we?d finally reached a comfortable working relationship--but I had never realized he loved me all those years before. How could I have ever believed that he would betray me? His love was present in every conversation, every interaction.

That paragraph has to be my favorite in the whole thing.

Saw myself fall again and again for his deception--always there to offer encouragement while belittling the Order. ?You are the most gifted Jedi I have ever met.? As I heard these words for the second time, I gagged. I had been flattered, enthralled with the Chancellor. Now that I knew what was to become of me and of him, I felt my body tighten in pain.

The churning air grew black around me and I was cloaked in the searing heat of a volcano. I raised my hand toward Padmé, yet it was my throat that clenched as I felt her shock and her despair clutch at me. She kept loving me. Tears formed in my eyes. She had loved me with a devotion so fierce that she remained loyal to me even as I forced the air from her throat.

Ow. :(

16. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    please add me to your PM list i love stories where anakin is happy after his death and not every sees him as a monster

17. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    She had loved me with a devotion so fierce that she remained loyal to me even as I forced the air from her throat.

powerfull and gut wrenching that line was:( :_| but no one can deny its nothing but the cruel and sad truth,lets just thank that this truth was 2 decades ago and lets hope ani can forgive himself.

18. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow, amazing stuff. That review of his life was really well conceived and written as Anakin was able to see it from so many perspectives. Great little tidbit about Vader purging the Jedi, too.

19. dtdang2

dtdang2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Wow--Great writing! You did a terrific job. Please put me on your PM list!

20. Anakins_Force

Jun 3, 2005
    Aiel: Thank you for reading!

Souderwan: It's a gift...or curse, depending on who you are! Poor Anakin has quite a few things to reconsider about his life. I'm glad you liked the life review--I appreciate your comments.

Quiet_Mandalorian: Thank you--I love the title as well.

mithrissa: I'm glad it felt disjointed to you--that's what I was going for. This story wouldn't be the same without your help! Thanks again for everything.

Ben_Watson: Thank you for reading!

rhonderoo: Master! I'm glad you liked it! I am enjoying the first person POV.

Healer Leona: Thank you for stopping by!

ClonedEmperor
    : Thank you--I love that line!

Nightflower
    : You're right, I can't think of a more excruciating life review--especially for someone who's not inherently evil. Thank you!

VaderLVR: I am thrilled that you liked it.

Stormtrooper_TK-421: Thank you for reading!

Shadowolf: I'm glad you found the Obi-Wan part touching--those two just never quite got their act together! I appreciate your reading!

-Darksaber-
    : Thank you for reading!

Sianoqsbride
    : Thanks for the showing me all the parts you liked--I appreciate it. I'm excited that you felt like you were Anakin--I'm so glad it worked.

sithrules70
    : I will add you to my list--I hope he can forgive himself too, but it's not going to be easy!

aldocassidy
    : Thank you--I particularly enjoyed writing that line about the Jedi not knowing fear--as they were terrified of Vader.

dtdang2
    : Thank you and I will add you to my list.

21. Anakins_Force

Jun 3, 2005
    *Thank you Mithrissa!*

Chapter Three: The Will of the Force

"Death is the mother of beauty; hence from her, alone, shall come fulfillment to our dreams and our desires."
    -Wallace Stevens

I stared blankly at him. "Obi-Wan? Is that you??

I was dead. Surprisingly, that thought brought relief instead of panic. It was over--I could finally relax. I must be on my way to Hell, where I belong. But how could Obi-Wan be in Hell?

Obi-Wan?s apparition must be a cruel tease, a prelude to an eternity of flames.

?Yes, Anakin, it is me.? He stepped forward and put his hands on my shoulders. He was not the old man I last met in space. Nor was he the Master I fought on Mustafar, or the teacher that lectured me. He looked boyish, twenty-five years old, with the short haircut he wore when I met him.

?How am I with you??

"You ended the Sith rule today."

Stunned, I stepped away. I killed Palpatine to save Luke, my son, the boy that I should have raised. I had no noble intentions of ending the Sith rule. Until today, I believed being Sith was preferable to being a Jedi.

"But I was not trying to fulfill the prophecy...all these years..."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "It does not matter, Anakin, what your intentions were. You fulfilled the prophecy. The Force determined that your actions earned you a place here, in eternity. And that is good enough for me."

?What just happened?? The disturbing images and feelings still resonated within me.

?It's something that everyone goes though?a review of your life. When we die, the pretenses and misconceptions we held in life fall away. The life review helps us begin the journey of cleansing our souls. The viewer finally has a complete perspective of the events of his life.?

?We are judged for our actions,? I said.

?Not really,? said Obi-Wan. ?The only judgment is from yourself.?

I did not believe Obi-Wan, or whatever this was that looked like him. I should be judged harshly. I deserved condemnation.

?Don't you despise me?? This place?this alleged forgiveness--had to be a trick, possibly a Sith punishment my Master invented to repay my treachery. I tried to locate my Master through the Force, but was unable to sense his chilling power.

?No, I don't despise you. I felt guilty for many years, and then guilt became sadness, but not hate. I could never hate you.?

Hearing Obi-Wan?s affectionate tone caused a memory to surface--another time he was patient with me.

I stormed out of the Council room, my face red with anger. Ferus Olin--chosen ahead of me to take his trials! How could they do this to me?how could Obi-Wan let them? Then it became clear?Obi-Wan thought Ferus was ready. Obi-Wan tried to calm me, but I refused to listen. I preferred my frustration.

He turned before leaving me to cool off.

?I believe in you Anakin.?

Obi-Wan smiled. ?I remember that day?you were so angry with me.?

?You can read my thoughts?? Obi-Wan always read my emotions, but this was the first time he had discerned my thoughts.

?Yes?it?s almost effortless here, but only if you allow it. You can read mine if you try.?

I hesitated, then let my consciousness seep into Obi-Wan?s. It was him?I recognized his soul. I relaxed?the dark side was not deceiving me.

?I hate to interrupt, but we must see Luke now. He is trying to celebrate with the Rebels on Endor, but he?s filled with grief. Losing you has affected him greatly and he feels a heavy burden at being the last of the Jedi.?

?We can visit Luke??

?Yes, Qui-Gon taught us how to retain our identity within the Force, which means we can communicate with the living. Before he discovered it, we could only speak with the dead. Now the living can recognize the manifestations of our bodies as well. I have been speaking to Luke since my death.?

I stood there silently. For over twenty years I expected the dark side would damn me forever. I was shocked to find myself in the light.

After a few

22. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    1st post[face_dancing] [face_dancing]

:( :_| sad and touching that update was:_| :( they all forgive him[face_dancing] that line when obi said he would train him again even knowing he would become vader and when he said he should have told him that he wanted him as a padawan every day:_| :_| ,please forgive me but today i woke up far too emotional.

23. dtdang2

dtdang2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I loved he interaction you had between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Great job!

24. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh so good! Great, even!! :p :D

Loved this!

I love the explanation of why Anakin looks like his younger self when he appears to Luke at the end. Well done! =D=

25. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Leia was there too, happy and alive. We lingered for a few moments, long enough to see a look of peace settle on Luke?s face.

Awww.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.