main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As Long as there is Hope (JA): Completed!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Mar 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    First of all, I'd like to apologize if I have pinched the title of this story from someone else. It sure as heck seems familiar to me but perhaps I'm going a bit strange and imagining things.

Secondly, I always intended to go back and write this story, and explain how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan first meet Jemmy. I want to elaborate more on the paternal relationship that Qui-Gon has with Jemmiah, one of my favorite aspects of the other related stories.

Thirdly, I know I have a reputation for writing a post on a story every day. If anyone actually reads this story, please understand that I WON'T be doing this with this one. No way. TLST will be taking up the best part of my time, but I will try to post on this whenever my muse demands it of me :)

Thank you for reading :)

TITLE: As Long as There is Hope

"Well?"

It may have been a simple question, one little word that on the face of it seemed straight forward enough but something about the manner in which it was uttered left little doubt that things had better be 'well' or there would be trouble. More than just a casual enquiry, it was little short of a well-dressed threat and when one was dealing with the man in question you learned to take threats VERY seriously.

Two men in black, one short with scruffy hair and an unkempt look about him, and the other a solid wall of muscle and bone shifted their weight slightly from foot to foot, an indication of how ill at ease they were in the steely presence of Rufus Merdan. Their report was not going to go down at all well.

"There was another one, by the look of it." Keleskladt, the scruffy looking man answered. "Had all the symptoms. Shaking, dramatic weight loss, eyes too bright. The usual sort of thing."
    "And?" Merdan looked up from the data pad he'd been studying.
    "We used the usual sort of remedy." Najwal joined in, his high and reedy voice distinctly at odds with his gigantic frame.

Merdan said nothing for a long time, just staring at the two men in the hope of seeing them sweat. He was happy to note that they did.

Just as well. If they feared him, so much the better. There was little in the way of natural loyalty on Nargotria but fear certainly kept them in line. And he didn't just mean the workers.

Merdan hissed irritably.

"How many's that now?"
    "Not quite a half." Keleskladt shoved his fingers in his pockets. "We're down to thirty four now. Thirty five if you count that mad cannoid of an envoy."
    "Tally's if you please."
    "Sorry?" Keleskladt blinked in confusion.
    "A inventory." Merdan turned glittering grey eyes. "A list of all accounted for."

Najwal started to recite his list parrot fashion, his voice grating on Merdan's sensitive ears. The man was OK as a guard but as an orator he wouldn't last three minutes, not if he had anything to do with it.

"Thirty five total. Two over fifty, eleven over forty, twelve over thirty, nine over twenty and the little insect." He finished with a grimace.
    "The who?" Merdan's gaze was unflinching.
    "The Corellian." Keleskladt put in. "I can't think why you keep her."
    "She works hard." Merdan replied. "As long as she works, she lives. Simple."
    "I suppose there's the novelty value." Keleskladt snickered. "Don't s'pose there's been much call for her since Levinstowe went..."

Merdan's head shot up and Keleskladt let his words die on his breath.

"I don't want Mr. Levinstowe's name mentioned round here, is that understood?" Rufus eyed the greasy little man with obvious contempt. "Our dealings with that person are over. If I do hear his name uttered in my presence you will not like the consequences, understood?"

The two guards came smartly to attention and Merdan sat back in his seat, temporarily appeased.

"What about the envoy woman? Has she decided to join our little business enterprise?" the words held a faint hint of amusement, and Keleskladt decided it was safe to relax for the time being.
    "Uncooperative." He snorted.
    "And have you explained the house rules?"
    "Yes, sir. She still won't listen to common sense. Or bru

2. Uisceban

Uisceban Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2000
    Is it an early Jemmiah story?

Brillant start, it caught my interest straight away!

3. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Uisceban, yes you are correct. Jemmy is ten years old. She hasn't yet met Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan...but soon will!

4. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

You're mad posting another thread! But I knew that anyway!

Great start sis! It's a story I've always wanted you to write. Merdan's as evil as I remember him from the snapshots.

5. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    I'm as sane as you are anyday...

Oh heck. What have I said!

6. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Post away Jem!!! I can't wait to read more!! I love all your jemmy stories! [face_love]

Now keep posting on both until they come to take you away for insanity! [face_laugh]

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Jemmy, the venomous evil that washes from Merdan is palpable.

I desperately dread what else we'll learn from this story. But I've tied myself to the chair and have tissue at hand for the ride to come.

Post often, post soon!

8. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Oh goody! She's writing it!

Yes, post often - just don't go bonkers in the process. We want to keep you healthy!

(But, I'll make reservations for you at the Padded Wall Inn just in case.)

:)

9. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Ooh, we finally get to see how Jemmiah met Qui and Obi! :)
    And what life was like for her on Nargotria, although I'm not sure I really want to know... Poor Jemmy. :(

10. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    I know...but there was a happy ending!

11. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Excellent start Jemmiah! Although this will be disturbing, it will provide some more insight into her character.

Hopefully Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive soon though!

12. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    We're all mad here, I think.

Jemmiah, you started it and I almost missed it! Merden is a great villain. No redeeming features, irredeemably evil, but cool, calculating, and thorough with no tendency to break into insane laughter or explain his plans purely so everyone will see how clever he is. You haven't been reading the Evil Overlord list, by any chance?

13. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    This looks really interesting, Jemmiah!! I'm definitely looking forward to reading this - usually the only time we see Jemmy young like this is in snapshots! I can't wait for more!

14. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    The mood was sombre and silent at the memorial service as one by one those who had known the recently deceased master, in whose honor the remembrance was held, filed out of the large chamber, walking with their heads bowed and eyes low. A much beloved member of the jedi order was gone, mercifully taken into the embrace of the force through old age and not through illness or violence. All the same it was with a heavy heart that the gathering of masters, knights and a select number of older padawans remembered the crèche master Rhuziat-Nam-Onnath and mourned the loss of a tender and caring individual.

One master in particular seemed to linger by the funeral pyre a little longer than most, lost in memories of days gone by. The jedi taught that from endings came beginnings, a complete circle of life. Zia had ended one journey and started another, yet it was very hard at that moment to do anything other than grieve.

Mace Windu waited for Qui-Gon as he exited the room.

"A sad day." He smiled thinly. "I don't think anyone could have said a bad word about Master Onnath in all her long life."
    "That is the way to measure a person's achievements." Qui-Gon agreed, matching Mace with a smile of his own. "She cared very much for each and every child that was placed in her charge. We will all miss her."
    "Some of us more than others." Mace turned his head slightly and indicated the fair-haired master that lingered by the cremated remains, battling with his own thoughts.

Qui-Gon agreed, following Mace's gaze.

"Dex was very fond of Zia." He acknowledged. "She was extremely kind to him when we were but mischievous initiates searching for a master. He's taken her death quite hard."
    "Your padawan couldn't make it?" Mace tried to turn his attention away from the sorrowful scene behind him.
    "I wasn't sure if I wanted him to witness a scene like this so early in his life." Qui-Gon considered. "He's faced death himself and had the misfortune to witness it close up so he's more than aware of the stark realities of life but even so?"
    "Understandable." Mace conceded. "It's never pleasant whatever age. She had a good life though. That's all you can ask at the end of the day."
    "That's what I keep telling myself." Qui-Gon's eyes returned to Dex. "No doubt that's what he's telling himself, too."

Mace continued to walk away from the funeral chamber, Qui-Gon at his side. Dwelling on sadness achieved little but an aching heart. Time to remember Zia with fondness and affection?and a small amount of alcohol.

"Zia wouldn't want us to mourn." Mace shook his head emphatically. "You know, she wasn't against taking the occasional nip of something when she wasn't on duty. For a giant squirrel she could knock it back a bit!"
    "That disgusting mint concoction." Qui-Gon pulled a face. "How can I forget?"

"Some of the others have got a remembrance party arranged. Want to go?" Mace scratched absently at the top of his shiny cranium. "Evla and a few of the others decided it might be nice to celebrate her life."
    "I'd like to," Jinn admitted, "but I can't. I have a meeting with Yoda to see to. Maybe afterwards. If there is an afterwards, you know what Yoda's briefings are like."
    "Hmm." Mace agreed. "Looks like a new mission for you and your padawan could be in the offing."
    "You know about it?"
    "I'm not allowed to say." Windu said a little smugly. "Let's just say it's got the council's stamp of approval."

Qui-Gon muttered something unintelligible.

"Pardon?" asked Mace.
    "I said, it looks like I don't have a choice." Replied Qui-Gon.
    "Not when you've been requested personally by Chancellor Valorum, no." Mace stopped in his tracks, letting his words sink in.

"Dangerous?" Qui-Gon frowned.
    "Aren't all missions?" retorted Mace.
    "And Valorum asked for me personally? What could be that important?"
    "Uh-uh." Windu clamped his lips closed. "That's for Yoda to discuss. I'm sure he will be only to glad to fill you in on all the details."

Qui-Gon let out an irritated hiss of breath.

"You know my favorite kind of mission?" he aske

15. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

"I have to see a troll about a mission"

Loved that line! :D

Infact, I loved the whole post. The setting was matched by the feeling you created. Poor Dex. :(

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Such somber emotions in that post, beautifully written.

17. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Wonderful post!

18. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Don't you worry about Dex. He knows how to party!

19. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Wonderful Jem!

From the somber Dex, who I know will sniff out the party to Qui and Mace argueing about that fishing is relaxing for everyone except the fish!

Hope you have more for us soon!

20. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    "I've never yet met a Corellian that couldn't find his way to a party." Excellent line! Excellent post! I can't wait to see what kind of mission the Dynamic Duo gets sent on, and how they end up rescuing Jemmy. May the Force grace you with more frequent opportunities to write!

21. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    "Enter, you may."

Yoda's voice sounded distinctly weary, Qui-Gon mused to himself as the door in the visitor's chamber swung back to admit him into the room. He was slightly late for this appointment, something no doubt his former master would not appreciate in the slightest but the fault did not lie with himself. Rather, Jinn reflected with a small amount of satisfaction, the blame belonged to the wizened old master who had at the last moment rescheduled the place of their meeting from his own residence to the comfortable guest suite on the nineteenth floor. Not that Qui-Gon minded. Just because he'd got used to the smell over the years didn't mean he wanted to have high tea in a room that smelled of a wet bog on Dagobah?

"Master Yoda," Qui-Gon bowed, "I apologise for my lack of time keeping."

The diminutive master stared at him for a moment, as if testing his sincerity.

"Hmmm." Yoda shook his head a touch. "No apology do you need. Need a place to talk, we do. And our guest."

Qui-Gon had already sensed the being that Yoda alluded to, and stepped up towards the familiar looking figure standing to greet him in return. He'd known this man for a good many years now and counted him as a friend of sorts, albeit one that had a nasty habit of reminding him of their friendship whenever he was in need of some kind of help. Steel grey hair and a distinguished face, topped off by the rigid, almost military stance would have identified Chancellor Valorum to most people anywhere in Coruscant.

"It's good to see you again." Jinn offered Valorum his hand, which the politician shook curtly and officially.

//Too used to dealing with tiresome bureaucrats// Jinn thought to himself. //He needs to brush up on the social graces.//

"I am glad to see you also." Valorum smiled. "It's been too long. The last time was that mission to Valtulas to persuade the local warlords to release those prisoners they captured, remember?"
    "Oh," Qui-Gon returned the smile. "It's not something I am likely to forget. Neither will Dex Berlingside."
    "Well, it's not every day you're tied to a stake and executed as a spy." Valorum nodded. "How did he get out of that one, anyway? You never did tell me."

Qui-Gon caught sight of Yoda, clearly waiting for the pleasantries to die away so that they could discuss business. That worried Qui-Gon a great deal. Yoda was patient in the extreme -unless he was prodding unruly initiates with his stick - but right now he could feel how urgent the troll thought things were through their bond - a bond that had never died when their padawan/master ties were severed.

It never would.

"I'll have to leave that one for another day." Qui-Gon answered politely, indicating that Valorum should be seated. The man did so, but never for a moment did he lose the stiff-backed pose.

//He IS worked up// Qui-Gon realized. //Both Valorum and Yoda. What could it be?//

"Yes, yes!" Yoda tapped his wooden stick on the ground. "Discuss the matter in hand we shall. And an important matter it is. Chancellor Valorum, explain you will?"

Valorum let his eyes wander from the eager master to the non-plussed Qui-Gon.

"The trouble is, where do I start?" he sat forward, fingers interlaced. "We have had several?shall we say overtures?from fringe planets requesting permission to join the Republic. We get a few such requests every year. Two have already willingly seceded to our rule this quarter. What we usually do is send out small investigatory teams to check out these planets and see if it would be beneficial for both parties to proceed with the request to become fully fledged Republic members. Of course, the further away from Coruscant the harder it is to maintain a working relationship, but usually we can find some planetary representative to sit in the senate and look out for their own needs and such like." Valorum picked up the crystal water jug and began to pour himself a drink, thinking as he did so.

"Things - for some inexplicable reason - seemed to have accelerated lately. We have four planets asking for invest

22. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Another excellent post sis!

So Vallorum's known all about it and is trying to cover up that fact. And what is Inga to him?

More!

23. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sobering, very sobering. Why is Valorum unhappy about Obi-Wan being included on this mission? Does he fear the worst for a young, good-looking boy? And who is Inga? Why was she sent there in the first place? Does she have enemies? What will Qui-Gon discover about himself on the mission? Your writing answers many questions and yet brings up more every time.

24. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    I should maybe put in a quick note here, just to explain that Inga is one of the chancellor's "personal friends". Whilst he genuinely cares for her and wants to see her back safely, Valorum is also concerned that she knows a lot about him that could be used against him if somebody were to try and get the information from her.

I also wanted to set up possible confrontations for much, much later on should Qui-Gon ever find out that Valorum knew about the whole situation on Nargotria a long time before being forced to act.

25. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Ooh, very sneaky! I can't wait to see how all little - and not so little - threads of intrigue weave together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.