main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As of FOTJ, what are the most important planets in the Galactic Alliance?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Coruscant gets all the attention, but what are the other influential planets/worlds/systems in the Galactic Alliance? And why are they important?

Kuat is a major planet, home of the Kuat Drive Yards.

Dac is also an important shipyard world, and the birthplace of the Galactic Alliance.

After those "big three," it gets more difficult to name the important worlds of the Galactic Alliance.

Kashyyyk may be argued to be important, depending on how devastated it was by the Second Galactic Civil War. Same with Fondor, Commenor, and Corellia.

Sullust and Eriadu are sometimes said to be "rising powers" in the galaxy, but we never really see them.

Bothawui, if they have rejoined the Galactic Alliance yet.

Chandrila may be important culturally, being one of the founders of the Rebellion, but it's never mentioned. Naboo is also likely to have some galactic cultural importance, but again, hardly ever mentioned.

There are probably other worlds I'm not thinking of right now too.

As of FOTJ, what do you think the most important planets in the Galactic Alliance are?

2. DarthPraxus

DarthPraxus Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2010
    Coruscant, Kuat, Dac, Fondor, and Bothawui are my picks.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Which brings in my own personal opinion up the question, why a world like Denon, an ecumenopolis which was the capital of GA for some time, is so unimportant politically? Same goes with most of the big Core Worlds in my own personal opinion. To me personally at least, they don't seem to be politically very important as individual planets, and somehow, to me personally at least, they don't get to dominate the politics of the GA as a bloc either. Instead, in my own opinion at least, we seem to get this network of mainly shipyard worlds with Coruscant at the center of this web, with the rest of the Core Worlds little more than extensions, sub-urbs, of Coruscant.

I could speculate myself that it could possibly be a relic of the Empire and GCW: The Empire crushing dissent in the Core Worlds and in terms of government subjecting them to Coruscant, and I guess it's possible they have never recovered politically, and instead some of the planets important in the GCW, the shipyard worlds, still hold a far bigger weight in galactic politics compared to their actual current role. It would then be, in my own personal opinion, a political map that it's currently kind of frozen and subject to eventual change in the future. But this is just my own personal theory and nothing more than that.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The worlds of the Slice (the wedge of worlds between the Corellian Run and the Perlemian Trade Route) seem to contain the vast majority of worlds that are the "key players" in the Galactic Alliance.

Think about it. Nearly every major Core world is in the Slice, as well as the major systems of the Colonies, Inner Rim, Mid Rim, Expansion Region, and Outer Rim. Nearly every homeworld of the major Rebellion species is located in the Slice as well.

Just look at the list of important worlds in the Slice

*Coruscant
    *Kuat
    *Alderaan
    *Chandrilia
    *Brentaal
    *Ralltiir
    *Brentaal
    *Anaxes
    *Corellia
    *Duro
    *Denon
    *Commenor
    *Tepasi
    *Hapes
    *Kashyyk
    *Gyndine
    *Bothawui
    *Kothlis
    *Lianna
    *Ord Pardron
    *Ryloth
    *Mon Calamari
    *Dornea

There are obvious exceptions to this rule (Ithor, Fondor, Sullust, Naboo) but for the most part the Slice is the dominant region of the galaxy. The New Territories to seem to be mostly Imperial, while the worlds south of the Trade Spine are much more independent and less important militarily or politically.

--Adm. Nick

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Coruscant, Anaxes, and Naboo.

6. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Tatooine, forever and eternally

7. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002

;)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or perhaps Hoth. Seems like a good place for a battle.

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    And then do it again! And again, and again, and again.... :p

10. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010

The Del Rey stewardship of the novel license has, in the large arcs at least, produced heavily militarized Star Wars novels. When big bad galactic factions are throwing down, the shipyard worlds are an obvious focus because of their extreme military importance. This is particularly true in LotF which was, somewhat unusually for a galactic conflict, waged heavily in the Inner portion of the galaxy.

The Clone Wars TV series does somewhat similar things, having staged attacks on Kamino, and on worlds in significant hyperspace lanes such as Christopsis and Ryloth.

The Core Worlds are supposed to have their political importance due to political and cultural heritage as founders of the Republic and due to their long term stability, which has greatly enhanced their development over time (many worlds in the Outer Rim are periodically ravaged by Sith Empires, massive raiding cultures, abused by the Hutts, Mandalorians, or other menaces, while the Republic always falls back to protect the Core). As a result the people of the significant Core Worlds believe they should have a privileged position, and may act on such beliefs. LotF got started not just because Corellia was contemplating secession, but because if the Corellians did that they could hold a huge percentage of galactic shipping hostage to their whims simply due to location.

11. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.