main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As of today, I'm a proud new owner of a 1-bedroom flat

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    :D

Reconstruction, here I come. :cool:

2. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i own a bedroom that isn't flat. much more useful than what you have.

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Once it's refurbished I'll post photos. ;)

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Until Hayes becomes President.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    When is the house warming party?

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Congrats!

Reconstruction or decorating?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    :(

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Both, actually. It's an old flat (cca 40 years) that was never refurbished (apart from the windows, the previous owners had them changed about 8 years ago) - the bathroom and toilet, which are in the middle of the flat, have just plastic walls, so we'll be taking those down and building them with proper bricks so that the interior can be tiled. The floors in the hall, kitchen, bathroom and toilet will need to be re-tiled as well. The flat will also need new plastering and complete new cabling for electricity, so that it meets the new norms.

And plus all the furniture and appliances.

Will be fun. :p

10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Congratulations

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Sounds like a lot of work too, but you can fix things just how you like them. :)

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I lol'd

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I will be over in like 3 years.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Movin on up?

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    To the east side?

Finally got a piece of the pie?

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That was precisely my goal - to buy an older flat in its original state and refurbish it - because new flats are still horribly overpriced, and with renovated older flats you never know what's the quality of the work, and it might not be to my tastes, etc. This way I get to choose how it will look like. :)

My Dad (whom I dubbed my construction overseer and technical consultant :p) is estimating the works taking cca 4-6 weeks, so if everything goes well, I could move there by the end of February (I'm still currently living in a flatshare).

17. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    You have to give us plenty of advance warning, you know, to buy tickets and such.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Good luck with the flat. I remember how excited I was to get the keys to my 2 bedroom flat as it was my first bought home. (I'd rented before moving to the UK). I was lucky as mine was in pretty good shape. It just needed painting as the previous owners had a 'pink' fetish and I can't stand pink. (You'll never know aching arms til you try to paint a pink textured ceiling white. And it was just a hallway!)
    And quite a few years later I'm still here..

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Congrats Mar! :D

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Nice one.

I need a place of my own soon, but even renting is difficult to afford at the moment even if I had full-time work. Plus no-one is cool enough to share with me :p

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Congratulations! Maybe a group of us can visit you at your new place and have a couch pass out on us again. :p

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Current progress: the bureaucracy is pretty much done (registering with the electricity supplier, having the gas supply shut down because I won't be needing it, registering with the housing bureau that takes care of all the blocks of flats and supplies water and central heating, registering with the magistrate for the property tax and garbage disposal, filing the announcement that I will be doing some small construction...).

Now I'm arguing with my parents re: how my new bathroom and toilet will look and what kind of doors I'll be having. Mum is being irritatingly illogical when it comes to technical solutions and is refusing to listen to my and my Dad's rational arguments. Grr. :p (We HAVE reached acceptable solution, though, so that's great.)

My Dad went to see the flat yesterday with a friend of his who is a certified electrician and will be doing all the cabling from scratch (the old cabling is 40 years old and doesn't meet the new norms).

Things are looking good! :)

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Make sure you get a nice fat Internet connection. ;)

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    square footage?
    City?

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Just out of sheer curiosity, how many gypsies do you think you could cram in that space?