main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT As Rick Baker announces his retirement. Discuss the legend, his work on ANH, and beyond...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darksideDINO, Jun 1, 2015.

1. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    The transformation scene in 'An American Werewolf in London' for me. Never seen better practical effects in a film! Take that over CGI any day.

TX-20 and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ That scene is pure magic. The amount of work that went into that is mind blowing.

TX-20 and darksideDINO like this.
  3. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Was so looking forward to 'The Wolfman' remake, especially when I read he was going to be involved. Apparently, he had all sorts of new tricks planned for the transformation scenes, but the powers that be went for the CGI approach instead... bummer!

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    got one thing to say:

Harry And The Hendersons

[​IMG]

:D

darksideDINO and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    It's the way the world has gone now .... unfortunately

darksideDINO likes this.
  6. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Unfortunately indeed

7. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Rick was the man who got me into make up FX and taught me how to appreciate the many talented people behind the camera.

I'm a huge fan and while his announcement is bittersweet, he deserves to do what he wants to now.

Of course I remember An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome and Thriller, but for me the Men in Black series has the most wonder and charm these days. And those many characters are just so much fun. I wish we got to see more of his retro aliens in Men In Black 3, there were some really funny ones and nice homages to 1950s critters.

I've still got a compilation of television appearances featuring Rick and Rob Bottin from a former boyfriend (who was in the FX industry.) Rick being interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning (either just before or just after his Oscar win for An American Werewolf in London) was so cool.

I felt a little pang when he was auctioning off his critters but I know he'll still be around doing what he loves to do.

Rick has posted this on his twitter:

Follow
    [​IMG]
    Rick Baker@TheRickBaker
    I want you all to know that I will continue creating for as long as I am able to. I am excited for this new chapter of my life.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I remember seeing An American Werewolf in London as a kid in the theaters. EVERYONE in the theater was gasping at the transformation scene. It still holds up today. The man was a genius in his field.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Rick did something lovely yesterday in honor of Star Wars Day