main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As ROTS approaches, which film do you like more?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo , Apr 10, 2005.

?

As ROTS approaches, which film do you like more?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. The Phantom Menace

36.5%
  2. Attack of the Clones

63.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Attack of the Clones.

2. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    solojones:

My thoughts exactly... that's frightening.

Really? Complete with the typo? :p

It must be the Obi Wan. Always the Obi Wan. *holds up Ohh Bee One 4 Life signs*

BothofUs:

I'm going to be thick headed and ignorant here, if I may. I still can't believe that people still fall for Lucas' crap in AotC yet still ignore the greatness that is The Phantom Menace. The quality of film making just isn't there in AotC. The story fumbled its way through. The acting was lazy and the visuals were a bit over done in this movie, making the least Star Wars-looking of the 5 films.

Who's ignoring TPM? It has more than a third of the vote. Take a look at some of the more detailed posts that voted for AOTC. We have fairly good reasoning for our vote, not just that we "fell" for one of Lucas' tricks.

3. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    wish there was an option to select BOTH. now we know. i still loved them even though there were mysteries not solved. and the OT is so much the richer because of what came before

4. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    The phantom menace. it set every thing up. now it all gets explained.

aotc is excellent but realy is just expaning on what we alread know. it simply links the two.

unlike ESB which had everybody reeling from THE revelation and the coolest lightsaber battle of the originl trilogy. it did more then link.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I find it hard to believe that there are people who literally cannot choose which one they like better. Even if it's just a LITTLE better...

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    To me they are just about equal.
    I voted for The Phantom Menace.
    Reason being,
    -It was edited better.
    -The characters came alive more. There was more of a character study.
    -Palpatine's introduction was brilliant.
    -All of the Coruscant scenes are classic.
    -Shimi and Anakin were compelling characters, the relationship seemed real.
    -The acting of the film was better.
    -I found that after the film was over, I understood the characters more so then in Attack of the Clones.

Attack of the Clones was a good movie, but it just wasn't as good as Menace.

I was spoiled for Attack of the Clones, and that ruined the film in some ways and made it less enjoyable. Menace has also had more time to grow on me. The more I see these films, the more I like them.

-Seldon

7. King_Jinn

King_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Love em both but I voted for TPM because I enjoyed the end duel abit more in TPM. Not that I didnt enjoy Yoda with a lightsaber but Kenobi VS Maul was the quickest and most skillful dueling we have seen SO FAR.

8. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    TPM easily beats AOTC. Lets see why shall we:
    -Better acting (Jake Lloyd doesn't count). In AOTC, Portmans acting is atrocious. Admittedly it's not much better in TPM but it is better. You have Liam Neeson who's superb in whatever he's in. You have Ewan who's consistently good and the character of Shmi is quite good also.
    In AOTC, we have Hayden who's not bad (i.e. better than Jake Lloyd), we have Ewan who's still good and we have Portman acting like a 6 year old in a Nativity Play.

-The best duel in the PT so far. The Obi/Qui vs Maul is a much better choreographed and exciting duel than the crap fest that was the hangar duel. It's also easily better than the overblown Yoda duel.

-Less lovey-dovey mush.

-Darth Maul. Now here's a proper Sith. Dooku's a coward and IMO, isn't truly evil at heart. Maul was just a bad-ass. His lightsaber was also infinately cooler.

-The Trade Federation Ship scene at the beginning. The only thing that holds it's own against this scene is Kamino. It's the first time we've seen fully-fledged Jedi in action and I love it.

-Theed. I loved the whole of Theed and thought it to be truly impressive.

-A better musical score.

I believe that's all.

9. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    While TPM and AOTC are both in my top 3 Star Wars movies, i have to pick Attack of the Clones. AOTC is a movie that is more than a movie, it is an experiance. I love the visual splendor, and i love the canvas that Lucas applied to the film. I love the sunset feel of this movie, the feeling of something ending or falling(literally). The settings couldn't be any better to express the stormy clouded story. This story is also not entirely black and white, it has shades of gray and "clouds." I love the muystery "cloudy" plot that only makes sense in the latter half of the movie. The first half is a beautiful set up. I love the story idea of Anakin and Obi Wan going into seperate directions, and how both plots compliment each other, and both have a similar feel to each other(tatooine and geonosis couldn't be a more obviosu contrast and comparison of the 2 characters).
    I love the characters, especially Anakin who is in that shade of Grey. The man who cannot control his emotions, or control his fear. I love the love story between Ani/Padme, it is a bittersweet haiku that is expressed mostly by its visuals and subtle musical undertones. The beautiful fireplace scene that inflicts the theme of duty vs. desire. The beautiful meadow picnic scene that visually shows the 2 lovers in a duty free environment where they can xpress themselves and grow on each other and become children again. It also creates the sense of foreshadowing in Anakin's fall off the Shaak. Which leads into my next favorite thing about the movie: the beautiful foreshadowing; from the Coruscant night club, to the Kamino clone facilities, to Tattoine and Geonosis.
    Tatooine is the heart and soul of this movie, however, w/out it, this movie wouldn't be so well recieved by myself. Lucas really does create a visual fest in tattoine, and john williams musical score is one of best, if not the best in tattoine.

I guess what makes this movie for me, and it is implied is the incredible visual storytelling. Images of the pieta, images of Anakin falling into the Camp, images of the reversed Binary Sunset shot, images of hell and machinery in the droid factory.
    This movie does have its problems, as do all the other star wars movies. Sometimes the acting and dialogue can be clunky, but most of the time i understand the intention of lucas to create a douglas sirk, or a frank capra style acting that insists on the melodrama. It fits with the story of the PT, it's a story about Jedi, Politicians, and majestic lords and counts.

Overall this movie has beautiful images that go into your spine, and the music certainly does a great job accompaniyng it. It also has some great subtle ideas and subtle themes of duty vs. desire, or controlling emotions, or accepting the inevitable etc...

P.S. I'm sure there is more of my love for this movie, but i need to go back to my HW.,

10. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Attack of the Clones, minus the love scenes. I loved the scenes with the Jedi Council and the action sequences but the love scenes made me gag. And I'm a sappy girl who buys those stupid cheesy 25 romance books.

~ Sarah ~

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
  12. JediChick07

JediChick07 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Why is there not a both? I love them both so much!

13. reignman1

reignman1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2004
    AOTC didn't have anything better in it, but I felt it had less flaws. I didn't like Jar Jar or Boss Noss' saliva.

14. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Aotc is my favorite of the saga so far.

15. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    AOTC all the way. It is one of the best SW movies IMO. And while I really liked TPM, Tatooine just ruins it for me. IMO, TPM just doesn't meet up with the other SW movies (while simultaneously having some of the most interesting characters and story; crazy, isn't it?).

16. PauliWanKenobi

PauliWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    Jake Lloyd was terrible and although Hayden wasn't exactly Harrison Ford in AOTC, he was much less annoying than that kid. AOTC was much better overall and combine those two aspects with less Jar Jar and you've got a winner. The only redeeming quality that TPM had were the scenes with Maul, ObiWan, and Qui Gon, the rest was a bit of a let down.

17. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I find it hard to believe that there are people who literally cannot choose which one they like better. Even if it's just a LITTLE better...

I dunno. There have been movies that years later, I was still torn on.

But regarding AOTC and TPM, the hype for ROTS has not swayed me. TPM has always been a better movie, in my assessment. I can't imagine what would be in ROTS that would have me think otherwise. Definitely nothing in the ROTS trailers has changed my thinking towards AOTC.

18. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    the phantom menace. I like the tone of the film and the music. as well as the dark hidden theme behind it.

19. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    The only redeeming quality that TPM had were the scenes with Maul, ObiWan, and Qui Gon, the rest was a bit of a let down.

This is basically the whole movie. So you don't like the Neimoidian/Sidious scenes?

20. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I genuinely love all 5 films and the film I rank at #1 is always changing. Recently Jedi and Phantom have been my favourites so for this poll I'll say TPM.

21. Comm_Skywalker

Comm_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    Attack of The Clones, and in particular, Anakin's charge through the Dune Sea to go find his mother.

22. PauliWanKenobi

PauliWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I was actually referring to the scnes in which the three interact with each other not every scene that each individual character is in...that would be the whole movie. You do make a good point though, it has been a whil since I have watched TPM all the way through and there are some very cool moments. However, I still feel that the film as a whole didn't live up to my expectations... I still liked it, but I guess I just expected too much. I think Jar Jar (come to think of it, the entire Gungan race) and Jake Lloyd really ruined it for me.

23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    AOTC. Mainly because of the action scenes but that's not my sole reason for liking it better.

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    AOTC. The only thing that's better in TPM is the duel, DM and Palpatine/Sidius. But in everything else it's too kids oriented not as exciting as a SW should be. AOTC is uneven but still comes out better. I've just watched them back to back and TPM felt like it wasn't part of the SW at all.

25. OrlandoBloomgeek333

OrlandoBloomgeek333 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.