main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

As we all know Lucas loves to destroy the EU with his movies, what if....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SithSpit777, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    Lol, I completely agree with that sentiment...

2. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    How can it be true and also not true??

Quantum physics?

There may be ways to get around the contradiction. At most, it will mean we have to declare a few sentences Infinities. It's probably best to wait until after Episode III to try to explain it. Otherwise, the risk that the continuity fix will itself be contradicted.

3. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    Here is something interesting . . .

In SW Gamer #8, the Greg Keyes short story, "Emissary of the Void: Battle on Bonadon" is marked "alternate dimensions" and "tales fron the Great River".

Why? why is this story an alternate dimension? and what is "the Great River"?

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The editor of the magazine has said that that was an error that passed the editing process. That the story is indeed supposed to be continuity(or canon as they call it). Infact he has said he may actually remove the icons altogether from the magazine in the future.

5. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    Good. its a good story.

I think it would be a great idea to remove the symbols. Lucasbooks already has the "infinities" symbol, why use a 2nd?

Also, question for Valiento:

I know about 6 months or so ago on the boards there was a scuttlebutt (a major one) about the Dark forces Novellas being retroactively marked infinities. I noticed in this threat that you mention that Dark Forces novellas are not infinities? was this just a hoax or what?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It was another error on the part of DH, in there process of setting up the website. When they were informed of there mistake of marking dark forces, and star wars handbooks with the icon, they went back and corrected it. So it marked as infinties is old news and no longer an issue, because the icon was removed and everything went back to normal for that series.

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Why can't you guys just assume that Ben was lying to Luke, just like everything else he said to him at his place? It's easier to just say, "Owen is my brother" than it is to say, ...

I don't really expect Episode III to validate Ben's statement about Anakin wanting Luke to have his sabre. Ben's a liar. Go with that. Don't try to figure out some way of the statements being true.

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Damn you Padme Bra! I was going to say that only I was gonna be alot more sarcastic and nasty. :p

I really don't feel this has to fit in in anyway.

It's been erased. Oh well. Was minor anyway.

9. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Nice one Padme Bra! You have no idea how much contempt I hold for you at this moment in time!! Why don't you think a little before you post your nonsensical rants? :mad: Or did you think you were the only person reading your posts? Incidently, the point of a post is for other people to read it is it not?! Perhaps Troy Denning was right about this place!!

10. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    That works, to some extent. Unfortunately, it doesn't account for thoughts in the Jedi Apprentice books where he recalls having a brother named Owen.

Unless, of course, it's just a really common name, and there are two people named Owen. In fact, operating under that assumption, we don't even have to conclude that Ben lied. Maybe death scrambled his brains and he got the two mixed up.

11. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Two cents. One post. :p

[rant] Lucas destroying the EU with the movies? How about the other way around? The EU destroying the movies, perhaps? Aliens who exist outside the Force, which, according to Yoda, exists in everything? The same aliens wielding giant beef-jerky poles and wearing lotion...er, armor that can resist lightsaber blades? But, according to the movies, nothing can stop a lightsaber save for...another lightsaber. [/rant]

Even as a selective fan of the Expanded Universe, I, like SithSpit777, feel that everyone needs to cool off with making sure everything "fits". I'll not stand idly by while we turn into *shudder* Trekkies.

I played the continuity game for a while also; read along with alien invasion after alien invasion, hoping against hope that Star Wars might end, like the classic tale of good against evil, with "Happily Ever After." Unfortunately, Lucas' tale of good against evil has found eternal life, not in fond memory, but through *contradictory* books.

Boba Fett is Boba Fett, clone of Jango Fett. See the Kaminoans. No need for convoluted "fixes" or over-elaborate explanations. Same with Threepio, Greedo, and the brothers issue.

Some of the EU is good stuff (Kyle Katarn, I Jedi, Wraith Squadron etc.), but when the authors go out on a limb to create new characters/locations, et cetera, people should always keep in mind that everything, (repeat) EVERYTHING, can be negated (Praexum, Force Aura, Anakah, Jaster Mereel). Sure, I remember watching the Droids cartoons and reading about Jaster Mereel, just like most of you also. I liked some of it. (There goes my status at Darth_Holliday's ExU thread.) However, by its contradiction in the movies, it is rendered completely, Utterly, TOTALLY false. The Expanded Universe, though enjoyable, is, as far as the films are concerned, a tabloid rag to the Bible.

Again, no sixty-page explanations, or angry rebuttals need be written. Episodes II and III will likely discredit much of the pre-1998 PT EU. Read it, like it, cherish it, but don't get snippy when some of it goes down the tube.

ql

12. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well..I sure as hell don't have the Force. And the Sws tale is in a galaxy far away freom here. So obviously not every being in the SWs universe has the Force.

And I'd just like to point out that we're not yet xcertain if the Vong exist in the Force or not.

"Even as a selective fan of the Expanded Universe, I, like SithSpit777, feel that everyone needs to cool off with making sure everything "fits". I'll not stand idly by while we turn into *shudder* Trekkies. "

Oh shut up. That sounded so lame I can' even begin to mock it.

"I will not stand idly by ...!"

HAHAHA

I'm sure you won't since you'll be living a good,wonderful ,fruitful life while that happens ,right? Instead of concerning yourself with what people do in their free time?

"I'll not stand idly by while we turn into *shudder* Trekkies. "

Are you sure you already aren't? Ask yourself that. If the answer is no,ask yourself and read your last post. What's your answer now ?

13. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Yeesh. Speak your mind and this is what you get in the Lit forum? Very well, Trias. Flame for flame. :mad:

I will apologize to the EU fans who have conducted themselves with civility, but, with this one, I find that I cannot "turn the other cheek."

Trias,

I'll do whatever the hell I want, thank you very much. In the near future, this'll never include responding to poorly-punctuated, illogical, and otherwise sophomoric arguments from certain types.

Hm. Am I turning into a Trekkie? Skin tone, heart rate, vision normal. No.

Well..I sure as hell don't have the Force. And the Sws tale is in a galaxy far away freom here. So obviously not every being in the SWs universe has the Force.

The NJO and its fantastic new race, the Timzahn Bong, is a masterpiece of CRAP. They contradict the films with their illogical belief system [how does a race centered on death, destruction and craptacular self-suicide survive long enough to get to the GFFA?] and seeming invincibility until the writers kill off some more characters and the galaxy is saved until the "aKae'e j'Oruaes. Ooo, should have put the spoiler warning :mad: . Follow this with me, Trias:

With the advent of the Thrawn Trilogy and first several EU materials, people such as you have suddenly decided that the novels hold more import than the movies, when, in fact, the movies ought to hold greater sway with regard to what is true than anything else. Think about this for a couple minutes before dashing off another series of insults.

In the Olympic spirit, I'll ask you politely to let our verbal skirmishes stop now.

I'll not waste more time to try and persuade you; just remember, Trias, when Episode II comes out:

Tabloid versus Bible!

Simply put, in the words of Dogbert, "Bah."

ql

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes. Hey,right now I'm trying to fit something in the EU with the movies...and you're just sitting idly by! Do something man!

BTW Mr Lunatic,I did not flame you once. There's no rule against flaming a remark.

"I'm sure you won't since you'll be living a good,wonderful ,fruitful life while that happens ,right? Instead of concerning yourself with what people do in their free time? "

Maybe you mistook that to be a flame. It was not. I was trying to remind you of the more important things in life. Perhaps I sounded to harsh. Or maybe the methane level in wherever your head is ,is a bit to high,hmm?

Oh and maybe you took the " I don't have the force bit" seriously as well. Get a sense of humor.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

Highend Star Wars Fanatics can't be trekkies they are Star Wackos, [face_mischief], by definition. They are ones that take star wars way to seriously and don't see it for what it really is. In the words of Alec Guiness paraphrased, "Star Wars is scifi Schlock not worth my respect." In the words of Harrison Ford paraphrased off A&E, "Lucas can sure write BullS#!T, but I don't have to buy it." or according to mr. showbiz news, Lucas having said, "It's only a movie and, as a lot of people have said, some people need to get a life,"

I'm not sure but I think one of them High End Star Wars Fanatics is babbling a few posts back?

16. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Sithspit, why do you have to bring this kind of a topic into the EU forums, hmm?

Do you enjoy ruffling feathers this much?

17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "With the advent of the Thrawn Trilogy and first several EU materials, people such as you have suddenly decided that the novels hold more import than the movies, when, in fact, the movies ought to hold greater sway with regard to what is true than anything else. "

Ok. I missed that.

Hmm. I thought about it. Who cares? Let them think that. No biggy.

18. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "And I'd just like to point out that we're not yet xcertain if the Vong exist in the Force or not."

SBS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of SbS, we are sure that they do. Anakin senses them just as clearly as he senses his Jedi friends, in his final battle.

End spoilers.

JMA

19. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Whaddya talking about lack of humor? I write for the Exploited Universe thread!

I mean, okay.

I suppose you're right, Trias. I am living a good, wonderful, fruitful life. Invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, the lead in the Spring Play, and, something more important than humor, the company of an intelligent and attractive young lady.

(There. Top that.)

I suppose you're right. I leave in peace. [face_plain]

Don't send any of your Gungans my way.

ql

20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    *kisses lunatic on forehead*

It always a joyous day when someone sees the light.

Go in peace my brother.

21. Garland

Garland Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    You know kissing trolls will turn you to stone. I hate trolls, nothing more worse than trolls but those damned forest imps. They are always causing me trouble, I sure hate the lot of them. I should burn down there forest. But they keep on bothering me. Why I ask, what did I ever do to them, but noooooo, they just keep on breaking my castle windows. Bah them, and Bah the trolls. May Lord Chaos have mercy on there souls, then again I don't care what he does to them. He can torture them for all I care. Crazy freaks, them monsters.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

...a tabloid rag to the Bible.

I'll take the tabloid, thanks.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "...a tabloid rag to the Bible."

It's the ones that treated star wars movies as a bible that lucas told to get a life, it's only a movie.

It was those same people that Alec Guiness ridiculed in his old age.

Or the ones that liam neeson said he never ever wanted to get involved in conventions because of.

24. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    *Directs Gungans towards Kier*

:p :p :p

25. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

This thread is in a sad state. [face_plain]
    Though I have to admit that it's been a while since i've seen something this neanderthalic. I hope the evolutionary ladder shines upon you some time soon. Until then, have fun clubing each other over the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.