Ashes of Despair (short WTC story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Firedrake88, Sep 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedrake88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi everyone, this is a short story I wrote to help me deal with the WTC center, and I thought some of you might enjoy it too, so I decided to post it.

Title: Ashes of Despair
    Author: Erika
    Rating: PG13 (subject matter)
    Summary: Sometimes hope can be born from the ashes of despair.
    Time Frame: Obi-Wan is 18
    Spoilers: I don't think so
    Category: angst, POV, h/c, *non*-slash
    Disclaimers: The Star Wars universe and all of its characters belong to George Lucas, I'm only borrowing them to have a little fun and I promise to return them unharmed (well, at least mostly unharmed). I'm making no money off of this and this is written for entertainment purposes only. Any characters that are not recognizable as being part of the SW universe belong to me.

Note: Writing has always been a release to me but somehow, when the World Trade Center collapsed, I had no words to write with. In fact, this is the first time I have written since Monday, which is saying a lot for me. Today the dam finally broke.

Things enclosed in *'s are *italic*
    Things in <>'s are <telepathic> communication through the Master/Padawan bond.

Obi-Wan:

The smoke was so thick that I couldn't see anything, it was like a dark cloud had washed over the world, blocking out all light. A deep blanket of night had descended over everything, filling the air with terror so palpable that it was thicker than even the smoke that obscured my vision.

I held the draping sleeve of my robe over my mouth and nose, trying to breathe as little of the polluted air as possible. I could see no more than a few inches in front of me and my eyes were beginning to tear, further clouding my vision.

In the fear and chaos around me, I didn't know what had happened. Groups of local law enforcement officers, as well as Jedi and civilian volunteers had come together to try and attend to the injured people in the Universal Center of Commerce. A little less than an hour earlier a commercial traveling ship had been hijacked by terrorists and flown directly into the tallest building on all of Coruscant. The resulting explosion had destroyed part of the upper section of the building and had sent down a shower of burning debris. The Universal Center of Commerce could hold almost half a million people at its full capacity and it was, as of yet, unknown how many people had suffered injury from the explosion.

I had arrived a few minutes earlier with a group of other senior Padawans and some Masters, prepared to help in any way I could. From afar we could see the building, towering over all the others in the vast city, and had watched it as the taxi-ship took us closer to the scene of destruction. Even from inside our transport we could see the towering fire that had spread out to consume a good portion of the building in its hot and hungry flames of destruction. Flames leapt up the side of the structure to eat away at it, and every few minutes we'd see a good sized chunk of the building fall to the ground that lay so far below.

We had managed to make it almost all the way to the building in the transport but were then hindered by the crowd of people and ships trying to get as far away from the Universal Center of Commerce as possible. Eventually Adi Gallia had told everyone that we'd have to walk the rest of the way. Progress had been difficult and slow. It had been hard to make our way through the mass of frightened people running the opposite direction.

In a daze, I had shoved my way through them all. I couldn't believe what was happening. The truth had yet to sink in. Terrorists had attacked the Universal Center of Commerce. The words seemed cruel and unreal. How could this have happened? How could anyone have done this? The building had stood, undamaged, for almost a thousand years. It was a very symbol of freedom. Millions of people came each year to take a tour of it. Nearly half a million more wo
  2. Obi the Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful Erika. I read this on one of the lists already, but it was worth a second read. You handled this very well. Thanks for posting it here.
  3. FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Knight

star 3
    wonderful story firedrake88 iread this somewhere else but I just wanted to tell you I liked it
  4. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Two words: Very touching

:)

Wonderful Erika :)
  5. Firedrake88 Jedi Knight

star 1
  6. KenobisGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    *Sniff*

Holy cow that was sad!

Great story! :D