main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ashoka's new lightsabres synthetic ala the sith or something new?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Vidianefficiency, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    If Ashoka's new lightsabres are synthetic why aren't they red and if they are something new then doesn't that mean that any old Tom dick and Harry can build one?

Locking, considering we have a million and one Ahsoka threads, plus the question was pretty much answered.

2. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    No, but any Tom, Dick, or Harry who is force sensitive and has been trained on how to build a lightsaber and knows where to find the kyber crystals needed for it can build one.

But it's also worth noting that not all synthetic crystals are red - the color depends on how the builder created the crystal through the force. Luke's green lightsaber used a synthetic crystal, and I believe that in the old EU all of the new Jedi order used synthetic crystals because the Empire had destroyed all the locations that had kyber crystals.

So with Ahsoka it could be either - she may have created the crystals synthetically and made them white, or she could have gotten to a place where kyber crystals where sometime between when she left the order and when the Empire destroyed all of those locations. Seeing that we know at least one site was still in existence on Lothal in Rebels, anything is possible in terms of other sites or temples where she could have gotten crystals.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    Ahhh that's the issue though, the old eu would have explained a lot but in the new canon I don't think it's established anywhere that building a lightsaber requires force sensitivity nor that lukes green crystal is synthetic, I could be wrong though. Also does that mean that tera senube's lightsaber is synthetic? I highly doubt that as he was a master in the temple who would have frowned upon not finding one in a cave somewhere.

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    In the new canon book, Heir to the Jedi, it is established that force sensitivity is required to assemble a lightsaber.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some - but not all. Some used various "ordinary" gemstones, like diamond, or SW-specific stones like Corusca Gems, Gallinore Rainbow Gems, etc.

In Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers, Luke says

"Kaiburr crystals make the best lightsaber crystals - but since I don't have a stash of them, you'll have to find or make your own"

(back when they weren't the same as Ilum Crystals - but chips off the giant Kaiburr Crystal of Mimban)

Luke, as said, made his own - so did Jaina. All the Imperial Knights of the Legacy era, also did. And theirs were all white.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Vidianefficiency

Feb 20, 2015
    Your right I forgot about that, amongst all the alien brain suckers and maths.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, while it was possible to create sabers without the Force- these were inferior knockoffs. The lightfoils of the Tapani sector were a notable example of this.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    There's Jedi temples all over the place. If you know where to find them, crystals are a dime a dozen. It's not like they are heavily in demand, what with the Jedi being mostly destroyed and all...

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    We'll find out one day, in the meantime let's just enjoy more Ahsoka action

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't ascribe to synthetic = Sith. :p

Darth Blade and jabberwalkie like this.
  11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Seeing as how Filoni made it a point to mention at Celebration that the saber tunes to the user, I don't think Filoni does either. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.