main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ask Artie!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Whoops! Missed DSGeorge's question above....

Can my starfighters participate in a battle at a external site?

Sure, they participate. But you don't want them to. A landed starfighter has power=0 and its pilot may not apply ability toward drawing battle destiny, because he's not piloting the ship, it's just landed.

Now, if you had other characters at the site during the battle, it doesn't hurt to have a useless starship sitting there, because during the damage segment of the battle you can just forfeit the ship, which may help you keep another character on the table.

Hope that answers your question!

2. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    I understand. the rules book said you can stack Vader on Anakin. Vader is DS and Ani is LS. How is this possible?

3. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    You can't. Anakin and Vader are considered the same for all rules of unique cards, but obviously (as you already suspect) since Anakin is a light card and Vader is a dark card you can't stack one on the other.

(I searched the rulebook, by the way, and I don't see anything in it that specifically says you can stack Vader and Anakin.)

4. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    To back up Artie on the deck limit thing, it is the same for all card games that have no maximum cards that the smaller the deck, the better. It just makes the odds of pulling particular cards easier. That's why there's often a minimum card limit, but rarely a maximum.

5. Young_Ben

Young_Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Heres a question for you.

What specific changes can you reccomend for a modified Light Side DS2 starter deck?

6. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    An interesting question....

Obviously, I don't know what kind of cards you have, so my suggestions are going to be rather general.

The very first thing you should do is take out Careful Planning. You only need one starting interrupt, and Heading For The Medical Frigate is the obvious choice. Replace it with some other high-destiny general purpose used interrupt, like The Bith Shuffle or maybe It Could Be Worse.

Second, I would take out the non-unique starfighters and non-unique pilots and add more unique pilots + matching ships. You'll get more bang for your buck with them.

Third, I would try to "beef up" the character and ship selections. Except for Han, Chewie and Ackbar, all of the characters and ships are common or uncommon. Add in some characters and ships that will give you a little more punch.

Fourth, unless you have some cards that will help pull sites out of your deck (like Insurrection, Security Control, or Wuta) then you need to cut one to three locations out of your deck. Eight is too many locations for a deck that has no way to pull locations. If you have Insurrection or Security Control, I would start that effect instead of Battle Plan or Superficial Damage, use the Endor system as your starting location, and pull the Endor docking bay first turn. Then you'll have the two locations you'll need to make Battle Plan work.

Without knowing what cards you have in your collection, those are the best recommendations I can give you.

7. Young_Ben

Young_Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Thanks Artie.

(In regards to my collection, I have pretty much all the "Minor" rares from each set, starting with DS2. I also have several rares from other expansions. I have about 150 rares (Minimum) I also have pretty much all the commons you can imagine as well as some uncommons.)

8. DARTHJOEDUNN

DARTHJOEDUNN Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    i have a question.
    is everyone on this forum an adult??

9. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    One of my members asked:

Can you put 4 anakin C and 4 anakin d and 4 anakin a in your deck.

I don't know why you would want to, but they asked me, so I come to the master Artie.

Thanks for the help

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    is everyone on this forum an adult??

No, and even many of the adults don't act like them! :)

Can you put 4 anakin C and 4 anakin d and 4 anakin a in your deck.

Sure. But like you say, it may not be a great idea.

11. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Curious what your thoughts are with respect to (given Decipher will never make the cards) playing Anakin and Vader on the table at the same time. How might you have suggested how that mechanic might have worked had the cards actually been produced?

R'Bolt

12. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    No, and even many of the adults don't act like them!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Wait........

Never mind, move along....... :D

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Decipher should have handled it just like they handled the Palpatine/Sidious/Emperor thing. Both can be on table at the same time.

14. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    No, Anakin and Vader are the same persona. The Senator-Emperor-Sidious thing was only a short-term solution, pending whatever surprises Lucas has in store for us. (Please, if any of you are in possession of Episode III spoilers, don't spoil it here. I'm trying to stay Spoiler Free!!)

When the Episode I cards were coming out, I said then that I wanted an Episode I Anakin, even if it were restricted to EpI closed environment tourneys. He deserved a SW:CCG card, considering how many lesser characters got their own card.

With Episode II Anakin, he should have been a legitimate Light Side character card, and a persona of Vader. As a Light Side card, he offers you a possible strategy to use against Vader ... while Anakin is on the table, Vader can not be deployed. But Anakin is dangerous, and should cost LS to use him ... maybe maintenance cost, or maybe some mechanic like, "at start of your turn, draw destiny; if destiny > 3, lose 1 Force (or place Anakin in lost pile), otherwise opponent loses 1 Force." Then there could also be mechanisms for DS to "turn" Anakin to the dark side ... "During your deploy phase, use 5 Force (2 if Emperor or Sidious on table) to return Anakin and any cards on him to owner's hand," thus letting you deploy your Vader.

(Shrug) I dunno, just off the top of my head....

15. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Bump! (This should be on page 1 :)

R'Bolt

16. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Ultima_1 sent me a PM with this question: "What cards do you think are important for a The Hyperdrive Generator's Gone deck in the CCG?"

Well, this is a terribly subjective question, but let's look at the objective:

First Side Text:[Deploy Watto's Junkyard, City Outskirts, and Credits Will Do Fine.] For remainder of game, you may not deploy cards with ability except unique (*) aliens, Republic characters and starships, and [Episode I] Jedi. Your Destiny is suspended. While this side up, once per game may take Coruscant and/or Tatooine system into hand from Reserve Deck| reshuffle. You may not deploy systems. Maul is immune to attrition. Flip this card if there are 4 or more cards beneath Credits Will Do Fine.

Second Side Text: While this side up, your unique (*) Republic characters are power +1 and forfeit +2. Aliens may not have their deploy cost modified and Imperials deploy +1 to Tatooine sites. Whenever you draw battle destiny, may retrieve 1 Force (Force retrieved in this way may be taken into hand.) While Queen's Royal Starship at a planet system, once during each of opponent's control phases may activate up to 2 Force. Once during each of your control phases, opponent loses 1 Force for each battleground site you occupy with a senator.

Obviously, the four starting cards are "important". :)

Since City Outskirts lets you deploy a Jedi from your reserve deck, I think you should have Qui-Gon Jinn (Tatooine set) in your deck. He deploys for "only" 6 force on Tatooine ... any other Jedi will deploy for 7 or 8. Qui-Gon with Lightsaber would be a second choice for a Jedi character. Ki-Adi-Mundi is not a bad Jedi to have around either. Obi-Wan Padawan is not a Jedi, but would be good to have in the deck anyway, since he has a relatively low deploy on Tatooine. Obi-Wan Jedi Knight really is not a good fit, IMO.

Personally, I'd include the Tatooine and Coruscant systems in my deck, taking them into my hand with the 0-side of the objective. To defend those systems, I'd include Bravo pilots and their matching ships, maybe include Dash w/Outrider if they'll fit in the deck. But definitely use Ric Olie (Coruscant set) and Queen's Starship, to get the advantages of We'll Need A New One (the 7-side of the objective). Use either Get To Your Ships or Squadron Assignments to get them out of your deck.

Put Security Control in your deck. This lets you pull docking bays for extra activation and more battleground sites for We'll Need A New One, plus gives your Republic characters even more forfeit bonuses. Combined with We'll Need A New One, your Republic characters forfeit for +4! That can really help.

With Tatooine and/or Coruscant systems on the table, I might try setting up Tatooine Celebration or Coruscant Celebration (would never try setting up both, though). Security Control will let you pull the Ep-I Coruscant Docking Bay and the Spaceport Docking Bay for satisfying Coruscant Celebration, if you decide to go that route.

Senators: Yarua is by far my first choice! High power of 5, and with the objective and Security Control he is forfeit 8 and only a deploy of 3. You can arm him with a Bowcaster, or play Wookiee Strangle or Let The Wookiee Win with him. Not may other good choices for Senators, but since they have such low deploy/high forfeit values, other choices (in my personal order of preference) are Senator Palpatine, Tendau Bendon and Liana Merian. Palpy has ability 4, so he does not benefit from Security Control. Tendau is power 3 ability 2, not bad for deploy 2 forfeit 8! Liana has ability 3 but only power 1, but she only deploys for 2 and forfeits for a whopping 9!

Other characters to consider: Queen Amidala (Theed) and Panaka (Coruscant). A tough, tough duo for your opponent! Amidala boosts other Republic characters' defense, and Panaka with his gun can cause lots of trouble.

Those are really my only suggestions for cards to consider in this deck. Others may have more experience with this objective and may have other suggestions.

17. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Thanks.

18. RED_RAPTOR_ONE

RED_RAPTOR_ONE Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2002
    You need to post more advice Artie. No, I don't know what but I have enjoyed your previous writing in this thread so far. Keep up the good work. :)

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Thanks for the compliment! But I work better in a question-and-answer format. I wouldn't know what to write if I had to come up with my own ideas!

:)

20. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    PloK asks: "What is your favorite YJ Virtual Card?"

That's easy -- R2-D2 Astromech Droid! Then again, I may be biased toward astromechs.... :)

21. RED_RAPTOR_ONE

Oct 8, 2002
    I recall reading a comparison of the merits of all four SW card games, mayhave been by you on the earlier page. I'm too tired to check to be sure right now. Anyways, I was just curious what your preferences are to them. Which you like best and why (Ordered from 1st to 4th)? Just interested as you are the astromech in the know...

22. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I think you need to research the card games and see what you "like" best. The only card game in current production is the SWTCG by Wizards of the Coast. Personally my preferences are as follows:

SWCCG
    Jedi Knights
    Young Jedi

Never played the new TCG. Doesn't interest me given what I've heard about play mechanics. That's just me. You'd have to ask others to give their opinions.

R'Bolt

23. RED_RAPTOR_ONE

Oct 8, 2002
    Kinda funny cause my preferences are the exact same as yours, except I have avoid YJ like the plague, just not my style (very similar to SWTCG IMHO). For me:

1st - SWCCG
    2nd - JKTCG (I must be one of the few that collects and plays this game)

I also play LotR TCG if that counts for anything! :) Guess I like to support Decipher's work. :) Won't touch the new SWTCG for lotsa reasons (too simplistic & support of Decipher). And don't say it, yes I know they'll never get the license back. :)

24. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    You can read a comparison of all four Star Wars CCGs/TCGs by clicking on the link "CCG/TCG Board Guidelines and Game Descriptions" above. I wrote the descriptions of the three Decipher games, although I play/have played all four. Bubba Genius wrote the SW:TCG description.

I have my own personal preferences, but that really doesn't mean much. As they say, YMMV -- your mileage may vary....

25. RED_RAPTOR_ONE

Oct 8, 2002
    Cheers, I was just curious what your opinions were. Thanks for the link. I'll have to reread that again. Remember there was being some decent info for beginners in there. Cheers again Mr. R2. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.