main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ask Artie!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    No, that's more to make sure that he can get it, although 5 is way too much.

In most cases it could also be used if his opponent is playing the same site and replaces his copy in order to replace his opponent's copy, but I don't see this much.

2. NissoJape

NissoJape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    A i thought, thanks.

OK!

Another thing, this helping a lot.

What are these "sheilds" thing....i don't know what they are, are they similar to an admiral's order, objective etc...?

3. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    They are similar to Effects, but can play from under the Starting Effects An Unusual Amount of Fear (LS) and Fear is my Ally(DS), where you can get 3 per game whenever you need them.

4. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    *yawn* Okay, I'm awake from my nap now. We astromech droids need our beauty sleep, you know, or we get pretty grouchy.

Did I miss anything?

No, looks like Bib, Ultima and T2Q have handled everything just fine. I guess I can go back to sleep....

;)

5. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, i have a pickle.

The main question is 'If a character adds 1 to battle destiny, does that also add 1 attrition?"

Here's the example:

I have 2 Imperial Commander guys from Endor, one says he adds 1 to battle destiny, the other says he adds 1 to attrition. Lets say I draw a 4 for battle destiny. Would the +1 for battle destiny only add to the extra power or does it add on to the attrition too, so the attrition would be +2?

6. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, i have a pickle.

The main question is 'If a character adds 1 to battle destiny, does that also add 1 attrition?"

Here's the example:

I have 2 Imperial Commander guys from Endor, one says he adds 1 to battle destiny, the other says he adds 1 to attrition. Lets say I draw a 4 for battle destiny. Would the +1 for battle destiny only add to the extra power or does it add on to the attrition too, so the attrition would be +2?

7. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Yes, adding 1 to battle destiny adds 1 to attrition as well.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, attrition is equal to the battle destiny total.

9. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Do i have to have ability to deploy and attack with a creature present?

also, do i count up "power" etc... with a creature attack and no battle initiated.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Creatures are not bound by presence or Force icon deployment rules.

And yes, you do total power during attacks, just like the posts above said.

11. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    ok, another question!?!

defensive sheilds, i just recieved 50 of them and they seem to be interrupts and effects that put on a different format, can you explain the to me?

12. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Sure.

You can include Defensive Shields in your deck, and use them like any other card. They are not interrupts or effects, so you can play them at any time when you have an opportunity to take a "top-level" action (in other words, when no other action is being resolved, and it is your turn to take an action).

OR, the more common way to use them...

The game text on the Starting Effects An Unusual Amount Of Fear (light side) and Fear Is My Ally (dark side) allow you to select any 10 cards from outside your deck and stack them face down under your Starting Effect at the start of the game. Up to three times per game, you may play a Defensive Shield from under your Starting Effect as if from hand.

This allows you to effectively extend your deck size beyond 60 cards! The starting effect counts toward your 60 card limit, but the defensive shields stacked under it do not! Starting Effects are played at the start of the game, before starting locations and/or objectives are played.

Things to note:

- You can place any 10 cards under your starting effect, but you can only play defensive shields from under them, so there's not much point in putting any other cards under there.

- In between rounds in a tournament, you can not change out cards in your deck with the 10 cards you stack under your starting effect. Your deck list specifies what 60 cards are in your deck; you can't swap those for cards stacked under your starting effect, because those cards are not on your deck list!

- You can still have defensive shields in your deck, and play them from your hand, even if you have the starting effect in play.

- Defensive Shields are not effects or interrupts of any kind, so they are immune to Sense, Alter, Control.

- Uniqueness rules still apply, so if you have the Battle Plan defensive shield in play, you can not deploy the Battle Plan effect, and vice-versa.

That's all the rules I can think of that you need to know about defensive shields. Except for a few new virtual defensive shields, all of the defensive shields and starting effects were published in Reflections III.

13. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Thanks, i am not sure if i will lose them, i don;t know if i have the right starting effect. but....hmmm, they seem kind of cheesy if you get my drift?!?

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There's nothing cheesy about them. If you don't like them, no one is forcing you to use them.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're usful to protect your deck agaiunst certain other deck types- ie: there's an anti-podracing shield, an anti-lightsaber combat shield (virtual), one that can be used to grab interrupts, another protects against insert cards, etc.

For one card slot, they can be pretty useful in defending against abusive strategies.

16. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    geeze, calm down bib, i was merely voicing my opinion that isn't even fully formed, information has been accrueing inside my head and i don't know if i approve sheilds or not....and then to say something like that, maybe you're having a bad day but i don't know many respectable people who would do that to someone merely voicing there opinion. "no one's forcing you to use them" if you like them then the intelligent thing to do would be to try and change my opinon, not try and condemn my post.

Please, think before you post next time about the reprocusions and circumstsances that exist. These forums should be about helping everyone out who doesn't really know what's what.....maybe there's something i don't know about the cards, why not tell me and "be a friend" instead of furthuring my ignorance of the game.

17. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Bib can be terse from time to time in his replies. Don't be offended. He doesn't mean anything by it. In this case, Bib literally means that if you don't like Defensive Shields, you don't have to use them. You can certainly build a competitive deck without them, that's for sure.

There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth when D-shields first came out. Now, I think players pretty much accept them as part of the game.

But if you don't like 'em, well, then don't use 'em! Reminds me of my favorite joke: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that." :)

18. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    ok, sorry for all this :)

I would just like opinions on why d-sheilds are good/bad, so i can make up my mind.

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Good: Use less card slots in your deck. Battle Plan and Secret Plans, for example, no longer have to be effects in your deck, you can just play them from under your starting effect. Also helps defend against multiple deck types without dedicating a lot of card slots to them. Look at all of the anti-WYS shields, for example. If your opponent isn't playing WYS, you keep your shields in your stack and they aren't wasting slots in your deck.

Bad: None, really. Just psychological. You don't want to depend on defensive shields as a crutch. And some people just have a philosophical problem with them, because SW:CCG has never had a "side deck" before, and it breaks the 60-card rule.

20. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    thanks, exactly what i was looking for, though i personally feel an alter/sense type card would be good.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The Defensive Shields function more or less like Effects, not Interrupts, so making Sense or Alter shields wouldn't really work.

22. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    I think he meant that there should be a card to cancel shields. I disagree, but I can see where he's coming from if that is the case.

23. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    yes, cancel is exactly what i meant. I am both ways actually, being able to cancel is nice but then people could stack their decks to cancel sheilds. Also, i think maybe the low destiny is a tradeoff.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there are ways to cancel d-shields: if you have a card that cancels a particular card name, it will cancel the effect/interrupr version or the d-shield version.

25. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Oh, cool.

Also,

let's say you have 3 effects....

one adds 2 power to all xwings, one adds 3 power to all xwings, and theird adds another 2.....now is that 7 power added to every xwing, note these are all seperate cards and not duplicates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.