main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ask Artie!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, you combine all card effects, providing they're not non-cumulative copies of the same card.

2. NissoJape

NissoJape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    Ah, that's good. Thanks Bib'

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Oh wow, blasty cool thread! I just got back into this game after almost forever, and I have a few Q's:

Could someone give me a brief rundown of attrition (if one exists :p)??

Also, firing from adjacent sites. If I have someone one a blaster scope and rifle at an adjacent site, how do I take advantage of their ability? Do I have to initiate a battle with the people at the adjacent site, or can I just fire at them during the battle phase???

Thanks!

4. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Attrition results when one or both players draw battle destiny (or destinies). Your attrition is equal to your opponent's total battle destiny. You must forfeit cards from the location of the battle that have a total forfeit value greater than or equal to your attrition. You must satisfy attrition even if you won the battle.

For example, let's say Mara Jade (power 4, forfeit 7, immune to attrition < 4) and Boba Fett Bounty Hunter (power 7, forfeit 6, immune to attrition < 5, adds one battle destiny) are in a battle against Master Luke (power 6, forfeit 7, immune to attrition < 4) and Lando Calrissian Scoundrel (power 6, forfeit 7, adds one battle destiny). Each player gets to draw two battle destinies. Let's say dark draws a 3 and a 5, Light draws a 1 and a 3. Dark's total power is 19, Light is 16. Dark wins the battle, and Light must suffer a battle damage of 3.

But before satisfying battle damage, each player should satisfy attrition first. Dark's attrition is 4, Light's is 8. Dark must satisfy this attrition, even though Dark won the battle. Fett is immune to attrition < 5, but Mara is only immune to attrition < 4. Regardless, Dark may forfeit Fett if they want to; immunity does not mean you can not forfeit the character, it just means you do not have to. If Light had drawn a 1 and a 2 for battle destiny, Dark would not have to forfeit either character. Let's say Dark forfeits Fett.

Light side must satisfy an attrition of 8. Neither character is immune to this much attrition, and both have a forfeit of 7. Let's say Lando is forfeited first. Light still has an attrition of 1. Luke is immune to attrion < 4, but that only applies to total attrition. Since total attrition was 8, Luke has no immunity. So both characters would have to be forfeited to satisfy the attrition.

And, since Light forfeited characters worth 14 Force, this also satisfies the battle damage of 3. Any cards you forfeit from battle (through attrition or 'hit' by weapons) may also be used to satisfy battle damage.

Does that help you understand attrition?

As for your second question, you can't fire your weapon unless a battle has been initiated at an adjacent site, and to initiate a battle at that adjacent site you're going to have to have presence at that site.

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow, fantastic! Thanks a bunch! :)

6. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    ok, how do you blow away a planet with the death star superlaser?

Thank you.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You need to use the Epic Event "Commence Primary Ignition".

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/anewhope/dark/images/commenceprimaryignitionwb.gif]

8. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Ok, i was hopping there was an easier different way, i only had a foil version of that card abd it came off :(.

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    The foil came off your card?!?! Is that possible? I recently started to include foils in my decks, so I made sure to go out and get some deck protectors.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, you better glue it back on, because that really is the only way to blow up planets. :)

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there is an objective and other helper cards that can make blowing uyp a planet easier to do (though sometimes it restricts your list of possible targets), but in any case you'll still need to use CPI to actually do the blowing up [face_batting]

12. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Hmmm, well i need to get it back on, that also is happening to my Rancor...:(. though i rearely use him....a slave I got it about a month ago....it's because i don't have regular copies of these foils.....thanks!

Also, are there white border versions Darth Vader, which is not the premier Vader?

13. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Only WB versions of Vader are Premiere Darth Vader and the Premiere 2-player game Vader. In fact, the latter is only available in WB, no BB or foil version....

14. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    Ok, on the starting interrupt "prepared defenses" it says that you can deploy three effects if they say "deploy on table" or "deploy on your side of the table". Can you use that to get cards that say "deploy on opponents side of the table" such as ability ability ability....i think. etc...

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No, you do exactly what it says, no more, no less. AAA deploys on the opponent's side of the table, so it can't possibly be deployed via Prepare Defenses.

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, quick question about battle destiny. When the card reads 'draws one battle destiny if not able to otherwise' that means that if for some reason I can't draw regular battle destiny the character allows me to, or does it mean I can draw an extra battle destiny?

17. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    It means that if for some reason you don't have 4+ ability, you can still draw destiny.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Cool, thanks. Another quick one: concerning starhips sites like the Executor and Home One locations, how do characters deployed there contribute to a starship battle? Do they add power and ability and such? I wish I had hung onto my Dagobah rule supplement :p

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It means exactly what it says. If you cannot draw battle destiny by any other means, you get one.

20. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Regarding "draws one battle destiny if unable to otherwise":

It does not mean you get to draw an extra battle destiny. The card would have to say "Adds one battle destiny" for you to do that.

It means that if you can not draw battle destiny by any other means -- by having ability >= 4, or by having another card in play that says "add one battle destiny", etc. -- and if you are not prohibited from drawing battle destiny by another card such as Watto's Junkyard, then you may draw a destiny anyway.

Does that make sense?

(The part in italics, by the way, I'm not 100% sure of. I thought I saw some rulings being made to that effect, though. If I find out that's not true, I'll post it here.)

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Characters at a starship site do not contribute to a starship battle. They have to be "on the bridge" (i.e., deployed on the starship card itself) to contribute.

However, if you end up forfeiting the starship, then the starship sites are lost, too, and any cards deployed on them. So be careful!

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Thanks for the quick responses! I'm actually playing a game right now, which is where these are coming from. Other than the one game I played about 2 weeks ago, it's been at least 4 years!

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    and if you are not prohibited from drawing battle destiny by another card such as Watto's Junkyard

Actually, "if not able to otherwise" does work at Watto's Junkyard.

24. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    For commence Primary ignition....do i get to start out with that as a starting card, or do i have to draw it? Also if i blow up a planet and all the ground sites are lost along with mine and my opponents characters, does my opponent lose any extra force?

Thank you.

25. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    For commence Primary ignition....do i get to start out with that as a starting card, or do i have to draw it? Also if i blow up a planet and all the ground sites are lost along with mine and my opponents characters, does my opponent lose any extra force?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.