main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Ask Biba-Fett (AKA Mrs Darth_Manos) Dressing A Galaxy questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Manos, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Thank you so much for answering Bibagirl! :)

I'd love if you could doublecheck the Picnic/meadow dress sequin color on Monday!

And I'd love shots, if you can get them, of the beaded front of the blue Tatooine midriff outfit - labradorite is a kind of grayish stone that is shot with bright blue when the light is on it right. It's a lovely stone and it's what I speculated those beads might be. Here's an example: http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H143743GS

And I'd also love a shot, if you can get it, of Padme's hairpiece worn with the nightgown with the pearls! Interesting that it is more steel blue than lavender! :)

Ah, so many new good bits of info!

And you guys totally made my day last week, with that shot of the picnic brooch. I was overly excited to see it, and just tried making a sculpey version of it tonight with some tiny faceted gemstones I had lying around. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow. :)

Thanks again!!
    Maggie

2. clotho0377

clotho0377 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Darth Manos and Bibagirl for all your help! All of the posts have been so helpful and interesting to read. Now that we pretty much have established what the "peaks" are in the Black Invasion gown, I have another question about that one in particular. I've pored over the pictures of this gown and am wondering about the construction of the velvet overcoat with the peaks. The top part seems to be like a shawl that ends in 2 pointed v-shaped panels in front. Is this coat made up of 2 pieces--the top shawl and a skirt which also ends in 2 v-shaped panels? How does the skirt part attach to the upper body underneath the "shawl"?? I remember hearing somewhere that the entire outer coat has no construction seams. Thank you again so much for your help!

Sincerely, Paul
    paul-pham.com

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I had some other questions in my mind about the nightgown with the pearls.

how do the pearls attach to the dress? how does the brooch attach to the dress? how do the drapes in the back connect to the straps? are the drapes one piece or two pieces? how do the straps attach to the top of the back of the dress? what exactly are the little pins holding the drapes down the back together made of?

Thank you very much! all of the info so far has been quite interesting, everyone really values it!

if anyone can get a nice high res pic of the brooch for this dress that would be awesome as well. =)

4. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    What Hath I Wrought?!?

:eek:

5. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    So far, nearly every question I could think of has been asked at least once so no more questions from me ;)

But I'd like to use the post to thank Mr. and Mrs Darth_Manos for all the brilliant info, your time and effort. Thank you so much for sharing all this with us!

:)

6. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Hi Bibagirl!
    If the Aayla Secura outfit is around, can you tell me if the design on the shirt part (the part with the long sleeve) is stamped, tooled, or painted?
    Thanks,
  7. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I don't have any specific questions at the moment, but I wanted to reiterate the thanks that have already been expressed in this thread.
    Just judging from the pictures of the exhibit I have seen so far, it is abundantly clear that a great deal of work went into making this exhibit wonderful, and also a great deal of care.
    It's good to know the costumes are in good hands.
    Thank you both for all your hard work and patience. It is much appreciated.

8. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes, many many thanks to both of you for your hard work and your kind offering of assistance. I'd just like to add a few of my own about the Breha Organa dress. . .This one's on the back burner for me, 'cause for one thing, I'd love to take my baby prop to C4 (I know, I'm a geek).
    1. What's it really look like below the waist? I'm guessing there's a skirt there (duh). What color is it? What's it made of? How full is it?

2. Could you pleasepleaseplease get some full shots of the sleeves. I'm just drooling over them.

3. How long is the veil/mantilla thing? Mid back?

4. What are the wraps in her hair made of? They kinda look like wool flannel.

Thank you ever so much.
    Sarah

9. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    To acrossthestars:

If you need a pic of the lavender nightgown brooch, I already have these two pictures, that might be of use to you:

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/lavender/brooch2.jpg
    http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/lavender/brooch.jpg
    (cut and paste the links if clicking on them doesn't work)

I'm sure there can always be a better picture, but these are pretty decent closeups of it.

Cheers,
    Maggie

10. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    yes I've used both of your pictures to make my brooch, I resized them and sketched over them a few times, I guess I'll finally take a picture of it for everyone to see. I keep forgetting and it's been months now lol.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/peorth559/brooch.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/peorth559/brooch2.jpg
    and here's the album link in casse those two don't work for some reason http://photobucket.com/albums/a36/peorth559/

I'd love to see clearer, shaper, closer pics if anyone can take them please, while I did get my brooch made, it took a long time to figure out where I wanted every line going and sometimes I couldn't see why I wanted a line where I put it when I went back to working.

Thanks =)

11. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Maggie, those look close, but the ones on the costume seem lightly clearer to me.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/fidm/pad_tatmid/pad-tatmid-bead-low.jpg]

- Kay Dee

12. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    *sigh* they look as much of Trisha's work to be made from either antique glass beads or Indian glass beads, interspaced with little black beads.
    The latter i can sorce easily(we have many indian areas in UK). the former not so easy lol

13. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi,
    We don't have that garment in the exhibition...sorry! Or maybe we do and it's called something different? ...Bibagirl

14. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    I thought it was a large over-robe...I don't remember seeing any seams though...I don't think it's 2 pieces...I'll check on Monday for you..Bibagirl P.S. I do remember there being an enormous black net petticoat with a train at back...made out of very stiff black netting...almost like it's starched...because it barely moves!

15. clotho0377

clotho0377 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2004
    Wow, Thank you for quick reply and the info on the petticoat, Bibagirl. It makes sense since the dress seems to be somewhat bustled in the back too. Finding out more about this particular dress seems an obsession for me :)

Thank you again!! Paul

paul-pham.com

16. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey BibaGirl,
    congrats that you have the opportunity to handle all that fantastic stuff !
    And as was said so many times before, thanks for putting up with us fellow geeks and sharing this wealth of knowledge :D !

My questions are about the (dark red Ep1 /purple Ep2 ?) Naboo Royal/Palace Guard costume.

First of all, are the ribbed leather jackets real leather or pleather ? Are the sleeves of the same material than the rest, or are they textile fabric ?

Any ideas on the boot construction, i.e. do they look like found items or are they reworked boots with spats loosely laid on or are the spats attached to the boots ? Are the shin guards that esssentially are the same as on the white Amidala Battle outfit made of fibre glass covered with leather, or are they formed leather ? How are those straps that hold the shin guards to the leg fastened ? by velcro or with snaps ? And are those straps leather or textile ?

Enough for now, I hope you find the time to answer my questions :))

Thanks in advance, and I hope you don´t get fed up with the questionnaire too soon ;)

Michael

17. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Bibagirl -

Thanks so much for the info on the family dress! Is there any chance you would be able to get a picture of the shells on the bodice of this? I'd love to see it! Heck I'd love to see all this stuff in person...

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you! :D

18. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Wow, Bibagirl, thanks so much for helping us out!

I had a few more questions on the Dark Senate Dress:

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/dm14.jpg

Can you give me any information on the back? I see there's a pointed yoke I never noticed either, and it appears to be smocked or gathered, can you tell what's up with that? Any info on the sparkly chevrons down the front of the gold dress? Are they trim or beads?

Thanks so much again, this is amazing help!

19. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi Michael,

Which Guard outfit were you talking about? The purple "ribbed" leather jackets are stitched trapunto into leather...I believe the sleeves are also leather. The boots are re-worked with "spats"...actually we accidentaly dressed the Red leather palace guards (with the vests) with both options (they came with a plain version and one with a side cut-out)...oops! Trisha pointed that out and we had to change them to the plainer of the two and they actually weren't spats but went up above the boot to create a longer boot. (Did that make any sense?)...and it's not easy taking off or putting boots on Mannequins...it's a fight! It actually looks like tug of war! I have to look into the leather boots for you...I want to say it's fibre glass covered in leather..it's firm. The straps are leather.
    Hope that helped a little bit!? I'll look into the boots, etc. on Monday... :)
    Bibagirl

20. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    There is an amazing picure of a close up of the shells on the dress in the book....the book is AMAZING and will answer alot of questions for you...Trisha tells what she uses and has great close up details! I highly recommend it! Especially if you are in this forum and make your own costumes...this will become a bible to you!!
    Bibagirl

21. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    I will try to take a picture of the back it's beautiful. The pleated fabric at the shoulders comes to the back and is gathered together at the waist with a vintage beaded applique. The front is also beaded appliques (vintage/victorian) and the v's down front are also beaded trim. They call this dress "Snow White"...it's fabulous! It barely fit the mannequin...there are small bound holes that run on either side of the center front beading. The hooks on the outer purple "coat" fit into these holes.
    Does that help?
    Bibagirl

22. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Just as an aside, I can't help but think that all this information should be archived. Is there a way to mark this thread "Do Not Purge", which is the fate of many an old old thread.

Offsite archiving might be a good idea as well.

23. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Thank you so much Bibagirl and Darth_Manos for taking the time to answer our questions! It must be amazing to work on the exhibit. I have some questions about the AOTC white battle suit. How are the boots constructed? Are they short boots with spats or do they come up to the knee? Also, what are the shinguards like?

Thanks again!
    wraith13

24. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Bibagirl, thanks a bunch ! Unfortunately it didn´t help a bit...
    It helped me a LOOOT ! And makes me wish to take the next flight to the exhibit :cry

The Naboo Royal Guard was red in EP1, and I couldn´t clearly see if EP1 or 2, the purple version, was what is on Display.

I had that theory already that the boots of the Naboo Palace guard (trapunte stitch) were like those Caterpillar wood worker/hiking boots, ankle high and with spats over them to hide the shoe laces on the top of the shoe. Hence that unusual "tongue" on the top of the foot.
    You cannot possibly find out the make of the shoe by looking on the sole or into the boot ? Oh my, I see ebay-prices skyrocketing, when such information is disclosed, though... ;)

But I couldn´t make a spat myself that was tight fitting enough to not raise off the boot, so I had the theory that those spats were somehow attached to the underlying boot.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/ManfromNaboo/guardboot.jpg]

The leather of the "tongue" seems to be some kind of brown suede leather, different from the rest, and it has a stitched "w"-pattern on it, as far as I was able to see on fotos and dvd caps. Is that true, or am I mistaken ?

How are the leather straps of the shin guards closed ? Is there velcro sewn onto them in the back, or is the velcro glued on, if there is any velcro at all ?! Should be the same as on the white shinguards of the Amidala Arena outfit.

And I didn´t exactly understand the difference between the plain boot and the side cut-out ? Both of them brown ? AFAICR the red Palace guard with the blue coat underneath wore black riding boots ? There are the mustard coloured soldiers that have some kind of spat over what looks like a normal shoe, but since they have metal looking closures on the sides and look to be pretty stiff, I can´t make out a similarity :/
    Capt. Typho himself told me last year that they had a boot for his outfit that opened to the side, like those motocross boots. That had me looking into mx-boots for quite some time, then :/

Okay, I´ll leave it to that for now, more (a lot more) questions will follow. Mind swirling, making plans on whether to do new costumes or redo old ones.

Ah, I am tempted into bribery at the moment to have BibaGirl only look into the Military Naboo outfits for the next week or so :lol ...

;)

Michael

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, catching up after awhile.

Thank you so much Bibagirl and Darth_Manos for taking all these questions and answering them so promptly - you are truly wonderful!

I'll add this thread to the Index for starters, and see what I can find out about 'do not purge' in the MS, so that it doesn't disappear after it gets used less frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.