main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Ask Biba-Fett (AKA Mrs Darth_Manos) Dressing A Galaxy questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Manos, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    heres one shot of them, I think...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d702b3127cce946cda69243a00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

2. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d702b3127cce946cc515e5e100000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    this stuff?

3. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Thanks Darth_Manos! I guess I sort of had the same question as Man_from_Naboo of how the shinguards are constructed. It looks like there are several layers. Three maybe? How does it all go together?

wraith13

4. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Like everyone else, I am eternally grateful to both of you, Darth_manos and Bibagirl for your amazing pictures, and details on all of these costumes that we have all drooled over for quite some time. Your first hand accounts are invaluable to those of us who spend our free time despretly trying to recreate Trisha's masterpieces. I personally cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. :)

I do have a few questions, that I hope you would be kind enough to answer for me.

Padme's Wedding Gown I know the dress was made from an antique bedspread, which makes it very difficult for one to recreate, but that also makes it fun. :p Anyways, I was wondering if you could shed some light on the veil? What kind of lace is it made from? It is cut to fit Natalie's head, or is there some elastic sewn in around the crown? Are the pearled flowers like beaded accents, or are they individually pearled into floral shapes?

How is the dress constructed? I believe there are two sets of sleeves--The longer, tight fitting ones made of what I believe is silk tulle, and then the shorter, fuller ones. Are they both attached to the over jacket? Or the under dress? Or is the entire dress one piece? It appears to me to be two pieces--and I was hoping you could tell me a little more about it as far as construction. Also are there any undergarments? And what shoes were worn with this gown? Oh yes, and are there small pearls all over the lace design of the gown--Or are there just pearls mainly on the veil?

------------

Padme's Pearl Nightgown (slate blue) I have a question about this as well. I believe that the the faggoting stitches between the panels leave the skin exposed beneath the gown--Is this true? Are each panel lined individually before stitched together? Or is there a flesh toned lining beneath the entire gown? I'm just curious how they disquised the fauz pregnancy belly if the gown is open between accent stitches?

And just to add to the enthuasim for certain answers: The Picnic dress sequin color? And in your opinion if the skirt came embellished with the vines and sequins, or if Trisha's team did the embellishment? :)

A picture of the tiara worn with the Nightgown with pearls. :)

Any pictures or information on the shoes worn with ANY costume of Padme's. :)

Thank you so very, very much!!! You've made all of our days!!!!!! :) :) :)

5. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Hiya-
    I hate to repost, but I think I got missed back there somewhere on page 2. Would you mind going back and rereading my post about Breha's dress? Many thanks :)

6. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Yep, that's the stuff, Darth Manos - the pic you posted of the sleeve of the handmaiden costume is what I was interested in! Whether it's an applique or embroidery or what?

7. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    These are the only shots I have that turned out. Is this the dress?
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d739b3127cce9476983d909900000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d739b3127cce9476994fd07300000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

Sorry this one is blurry, but I could at least point out how long the back of the pointed peace. It appears to be the same as the front in length.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d705b3127cce946debb30f2000000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

hope that helps.

I'll be going back for more shots through out the show. This is another one thats difficult for me to get good shots of. I think I have a head shot showing the hair. Somewhere.

8. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Oh my, Amazing pictures of the costumes. i didn't evensee some of those details. Thank you Darth Manos/Bibagirl

I've a few questions myself.
    1. Episode 1 Grey kimkono:

I'd been searching for 6 years for the right fabrics and have turned up nothing definate.

I THINK the inner rose-ish dres is a silk.(In some lighting it looks a berry color then shifts to a blue.) Next layer, i can't figure it out, Kimono, some grey/lavendar silk taffita? But the color I can't tell.

Bibagirl do you know what the right colors and fabric types these were? Or a picture of what this looks like in normal lighting? I've NO clue what yardage that grey kimono would take.

9. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Oooooh yes!!! That's it! Thank you so much!! Please let me know if you get other good shots of it. . .yay!!!

10. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Btw, BibaGirl,

when you return on Monday to the exhibit, please tuck the shirt of the Padme flight suit into the pants, I think that is more true to the movie look, or the leather pockets are sitting too high on the mannequins hips. Ahh, geeky and nerdy nitpicking... :p ;)

Jay aka Cpt. Typho wore the shirt over his pants at C3, too, when he had the photo shoot with the 501st, and it annoyed the hell out of me ;)

Michael

11. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Ahhh but then you wouldn't be able to see the seam stitching....

Ok I'm pulling that one out of my posterior ( latin makes things so much
    more acceptible, doesn't it? ). Just a little tease...

I'll be heading back in the next week to get more photos.

12. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Darth_Manos & Bibabirl, thank you both so much for all the work you have put into this exhibit and taking the time to answer so many questions on this and many other threads. The knowledge you've given us is staggering. :)

I have a couple of questions about the Hoth Leia snowsuit:
    Is it possible to get a photo of the back of the snowsuit under the vest? If not, I understand.
    I'm also wondering if the belt on the suit is attached all the way around (if it's attached) and how many belt loops are on the suit.
    One other thing, a good close up of Leia's comm unit on her lower left sleeve would be wonderful. :)

Thanks!!!! :D

13. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'll try and get a better shot than this
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d704b3127cce94696ac2573c00000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

The lower section is a half of a tape measure. If you'd like a larger version of this shot, pm me your email.

Hope that helps...

14. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    To me they looked gold. Like they had originally been white and had a light coating of antique gold color on top. Light antique gold, perhaps? Certainly not blazing white, but golden white. And they didn't catch much light. They were shaped kinda like a butterfly. They looked to be part of the fabric. My conspiracy theory is that the fabric was originally white and then dyed, thus creating the gold color and the muted sequins. Just my two cents.

15. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    According to the book... "We apliqued with a manual satin stitch the available embroidered sections onto 11 silk tulle pattren sections... As the amount of vintage fabric was limited, Sandra's team made over 300 yards of french knit braid for Cornely scrollwork, to combine and meld the panels. The finished dress was then studded with perals..." And the headress, "Maltese lace veil heddress made from Eduardian wax flowers and beaded pearls. Small pearls are sprinkled over the rest of the veil."

I know of a place where you can buy antique hat accessories that won't be Eduardian, but will be from around 1900-1950. You can also get hat forms for costumes like Luminara, etc. there. It's called California Millinery Supply and it is in Downtown LA, just a few blocks away from FIDIM. I have the address somewhere if anyone is interested, PM/email me. the lace looks like the cotton laces that we made at ren faire, just cotton bobbin work.

You can only see one layer in the sleeves, the tulle and french knit stuff in the exhibit but looking at the book and movie, the sleeves seem to be longer than what is shown in the exhibit. Wait... The short sleeves are part of the jacket. I see now, it's the jacket that's in the exhibit. I have no idea where the longer ones came from... arg...

The pearls on the main jacket are placed over the french knit stuff and the vintage lace. It's also the same on the bottom dress.

I will take more pic for you.

16. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, I still think they looked pretty darn white. Irridescent white perhaps rather than flat white, and any gold tones a reflection of the fabric that it's next to? I know, sometimes opinions differ and I'll be looking at it again in 2 weeks. I sure stared at this costume the longest, and at 1:00pm the guards were saying "You've been here the entire time!" (I ran to that costume at 10:00 am. LOL!)

- Kay Dee

17. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hi Bibagirl

Because my brother and I finaly started working on a new version of his costume a few questions are on my mind?

Anakin Skywalker, Episode 3

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/22710/anakin%20costume1.jpg]

The outer tunic has a shoulder sleeve tuck
    Is there anything sewn or ironed in to make it more stable?

How is the outer tunic constructed? Is the the shoulder sleeve tuck made by a much longer shoulder part turned inside (in shoulder direction) and sewn together with the sleeve seam or any other way?

Where at the costume was velcro used?

Are the outer tunic and the cloth tabarts sewn together? If so where?

Of how many parts consists a leather tabart? Are they sewn or glued together?

Is the obi conected to the outer tunic/leather tabarts or only knotted? Was velcro used or anything else or is it simply staying where it should because of the belt?

I?ve seen pics that the puppet is also wearing the robe. I have no idea how far you are allowed to ?undress? the puppets. Answers would be highly appreciated but you defenitly don?t have to get yourself into trouble. ;)

Thank you so much :)

18. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I believe across0the0stars was looking for a shot of the brooch? Shawan just sent me a pic of the brooch - It's not 100% crystal clear, but it's big and I think it's a darn good shot of it.

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/shawan1_med.jpg

You can see there are 5 pearls in the brooch itself - 2 on each end where the pearls seem to connect, one at the bottom and 2 in the middle left and right.

19. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    i was thinking they look like the kind of white nailvarnish you can get thats got an gold iridecent sheen on it. Maybe a pearlised white.They certainly dont look VERY gold.

20. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Maulested- Thank you SO much for all the information on the Wedding gown. I cannot thank you enough--everything you said is very helpful. And I would appreciate any pics or other construction details. I am very grateful!! :)

----

Just to chime in on the Picnic dress sequin debate--Seems that even those who see it in person can't quite decide what color they are. The sequins I found a while back are a light gold, or muted pale mustard--but when the light catches them, or when they are photographed they cast white. You can see what I mean here:

Clickie for pics

I'm pretty sure the sequins would not have dyed considering the material that they are made from.

21. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Ferd, I saved one of the sequins you sent me before giving them to Maggie. These sequins at FIDM were not really gold like the ones you found. I can even dig it up bring it to the exhibit to compare... or we can look at them on Maggie's costume when she wears it on Sunday.

I feel funny for getting so stubborn on this, but all the photos I sent off to Maggie taken at several angles show the sequins to be white as well. And I really stared at them, they were irriedescent or satin white to my eye. :(

- kay dee

22. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Hey,

Bibagirl will be on later. Shes been very busy with regular
    work today. But she will have some info. Including her take
    on the SEQUINS...

But she wil be using a new name. She's blended two of her
    influences into one name. And I think its rather fitting,
    appropriate, and kinda cool in sound and concept.

So her new name, not far from her original moniker, will be

Biba-Fett
    Biba being a London design house in the '60's and '70's.

And Fett you all know.

23. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    It's an applique on both sleeves...Biba-Fett (AKA Bibagirl)

24. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    I'll have an answer to your question when the exhibition is over...I didn't dress those so I can't tell you...and it's hard to figure out just looking at them! I can tell you that they have a velcro closing on each strap!
    Biba-Fett

25. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Padme's wedding gown is in 3 pieces...one being the underslip out of light cream silk taffeta with corset built in (laces up back tightly)goes to floor and is strapless. 2nd Piece is the slip dress in the bedspread lace with small straps. 3rd is the over-coat out of the same bedspread material...all the sleeves are attatched to this and the over-coat closes at front by 2 hook and eyes (on either side) near princess seams near waist. The veil is made out of Maltese lace (the same kind of lace found on Padme's Travel Mustard outfit). The headdress is also made of vintage Edwardian wax flowers and pearls (very popular during that era)...see book for better description. I don't recall seeing elastic underneath...but it does naturally have that "Cap" shape...so I believe it was sewn to fit Natalie's head...the pearls hide any stitching you may have seen. She has also pearl beaded the veil and added pearls to the dress and over-dress.

I need to check out the Pearl Nightgown...I can't remember if there is a second layer of nude fabric...I think there is...but must get back to you on it...the belly would show if not and it does not show! Have you attempted to make a belly yet? They are on nude stretch mesh bodysuits with snaps at the crotch and a built in bra.

Most of the shoes are not included with the costumes...but I have seen them and they are typical shoes (not anything you can't find in a store)...the only ones I have seen that were made for Padme are the Coffin Dress slippers.

More about the Meadow Dress to come!
    Biba-Fett (Aka Bibagirl)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.