main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Ask Biba-Fett (AKA Mrs Darth_Manos) Dressing A Galaxy questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Manos, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks for all of the new tidbits of info - that is so interesting about the Picnic/Meadow dress skirt!

So the skirt is two layers only then? The top sequined/embroidered layer and a layer under it of lake dress dyed chiffon? No other underlayers?

Very interesting!

Thank you!!

2. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Thank you SOOOOO much for the info on the end dress- so the collar is sequins? Interesting.... and antique sequins can be found on ebay, I've had some luck there... I'm hand sequining the majority of this costume... at least there is no beading, I'm not too good on that...

<b>biba-fett</b>, is there any way to find out how many layers are in the underdress on the funeral costume? And is there any more information on the fabric of the cloak? Thank you so much! *does a dance of joy, cause this costume is her baby at the moment...*

~Laura

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks so much for taking the peak that we couldn't and being our 'picnic' eyes! So, I know some of us noticed a pinkish tint under the skirt in the Vanity Fair cover and assumed it must have been a ribbon. I guess it really could have been the underlayer of the skirt! I wonder why it's done like the rainbow dress?

Man, if I make this screen accuarate with 2 layers of chiffon I know I'll add a slip underneath. I'm too modest!

If the underlayer is lightly dyed like the rainbow dress, does this mean the lower edge near the hem is reddish, and it works up to a golden or yellow layer near the waistline?

Thanks a million!

- Kay Dee

4. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    I am smoking crack.... Okay I open up my pictures and there are indeed two sleeves on the wedding dress. That was like one good pic out of 50. I should drink less caffiene and sleep more. : ) And I am going to throw those pics up soon.

White? Gold? To confuse myself even more, while in my couture sewing class I had to hand sew a line of white sequins that appeared gold when they caught the light... Arg.

5. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I thought of something else I'd love to see - what the pins that hold the back drape of the lavender/blue pearl nightgown look like! There are several pins holding that waterfall drapery together and all we've got are small fuzzy images of them!

Also - is that back drape on piece or two separate pieces that come off each shoulder. I think it's one piece, like a cape, but it'd be nice to verify! :)

6. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Great stuff guys, it's great that you're willing to answer our questions :)

I've got a request. BOBA! Anything you can find, it's been a while since we've had any new discoveries.

7. Any tags/labels in the jumpsuit, vest, or boots?

8. Is the vest actually padded, and if so how much?

9. How exactly is the armour attached? From what we can see there are grommets in the vest with bolts attached to the armour, any other details you can give?
  11. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Hullo!

I would also like to Thank Biba-Fett and Darth_Manos for their enormous help.

I too have a question about Padme's Silver Packing Dress. How are the silver headpieces attached to the head? And how are they built?

Thank you so much.

-Piia

12. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I'd just like to bump my questions about the nightgown with the pearls:

how do the pearls attach to the dress? how does the brooch attach to the dress? how do the drapes connect to the straps? are the drapes one piece or two pieces? how do the straps attach to the back of the dress? what exactly are the little pins holding the drapes down the back together made of/what do they look like exactly?

again, thx so much for all the info you're being so kind to give =)

13. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I too, am curious about how the pearls attach to the gown and the brooch(on the Sleepless Knights gown). I noticed on the Padawan's guide that it appears as if the pearls are "wrapping" (for lack of a technical term) around the brooch. Also, the capelets appear to have a silver or pearlized button of sorts holding them in place? Is this correct?

I just wanted to give a big "Thank you!" to Biba-Fett& Darth_Manosfor taking time out of their daily lives to answer all these questions!![:D]

14. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    What you found DOES help A LOT. MUCHO thank you. At last I have names to these fabrics. YAY! <Happy dance>

NO, I haven't the book yet. I can't afford it yet.:'( What did her shoe look like? Possible color? I'd probably snag a pair of dyable satin mary jane's and wear those..(Foot support.)

When you said the pearls were stitched on. Did you mean the pearls on the outter kimono's sleeves or are there pearls on the crinkled silk layer? If there ARE pearls in the crinkles silk layer it'd going to be absolutly regeal whne I get done with this project. WHooooo. Any idea what color the crinkle silk was?
    I know it's going to be exspenmsive for me to make this thing, and dificult to make, but that's WHY I choose this one. For the challenge.

15. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Yes, the skirt is only two layers of chiffon...very sheer! I saw in the thread about the fabric being organza..? It's not...it's chiffon! It may be a typo in the book? It doesn't have that body that organza has...it's soft and flows just like chiffon.
    Biba-Fett

16. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    HI Laura,
    The costume consists on 1 Belly/1 underdress and a cloak. Only 1 layer on the under dress. Other than Devore velvet that's painted in a wave pattern (all in shades of blues) I have no more info on the cloak...until I undress it!
    Biba-Fett...P.S. I also LOVE the gunslinger series ;) Stephen King rocks!

17. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi Kay Dee,
    I don't think it's ombre dyed like the rainbow dress...it's more like random colors all-over the skirt...but lightly dyed. Once I take a photo you'll see.

The girl who wore the meadow "picnic" dress wore only a nude g-string during the fashion show! She was very brave...especially with all those lights! ;)
    Biba-Fett

18. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi,
    I'll get a photo of the jewelry bits on the back of the cape when I take it down. I believe they also have a pearl in each setting and they are stitched to the cape. The cape is one piece and is snapped onto the straps at back of the garment with clear snaps.
    Biba-Fett

19. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    I'll have to do more research for you...Boba came to us dressed already on the mannequin...but we did dress Jango-Fett...but he's a bit different than Boba-Fett. So, I'll have to get back to you on that!
    Biba-Fett

20. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002

YAY! I knew they had to attach to the straps at the back :D.
    Thanks for the info on both the night gown and the funeral dress :)

21. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Darth Manos and Biba-Fett, you guys ROCK!!!!

22. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thank you so much!! :)

You can see a bit of the picnic dyed underlayer in this pic from Darth Manos - I put an arrow to point to the pinkness:

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/tiki_dyedlayers.jpg

Do you think Natalie only wore the two layers of chiffon, or maybe a white slip underneat or something? It seems like it'd be awfully see-through in the sun! :)

23. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    even though the skirt is only two layers of chiffon, I would think that since it is such a very full skirt that it would be hard to see through it and see anything =P

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    thanks for the info! Isn't the Gunslinger series great! Is there any way when the exhibit gets taken down to get a close up of the beading on the upper portion of the underdress? Once again, thank you so much for sharing all this info!

~Laura

25. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Here is a pic of the wedding dress: http://www.lisaklassen.com/sithstress/padmewedding.jpg
    If you want my write up it's at http://www.lisaklassen.com/sithstress.html

Yup, loved the back of the steel colored nightgown! It's beautiful, especially with the pearls on the cape. Do you think it's cut on the bias? I think so, but just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

And did anyone figure out how Padme's Tattooine Midriff dress is put together? It looked to me like the hood might have been a seperate piece. I've watched Ep. 2 a whole bunch of times and looked at the book, but I'm still confused.

Sorry these pictures suck, but I'm going back the week after next with a Cannon D-10. I used it for a car show this weekend without flash and it takes nice pics big enough to kill a bird! If anyone wants more pics, let me know.

26. clotho0377

clotho0377 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2004

Thank you again Biba-Fett for looking into the gown. Maybe when the exhibit comes down you can get a chance to inspect the gown further, however I just wanted to clarify my questions to you from before with a small sketch I did to give you a better idea of what my questions concerned. I purposefully left out the "peaks" to see a clearer view of what I'm thinking the construction looks like. They always say pictures are worth a thousand words and so here is mine...

[image=http://www.paul-pham.com/posts/Black_invasion.jpg]

Many Many Thanks, Paul
    paul-pham.com

27. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Fixed link: http://www.lisaklassen.com/sithstress/starwarsfidm.html

28. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Biba-Fett, thanks for continuing to answer all of our questions. We sure are an interested bunch. :)

I have one follow-up question regarding the meadow picnic dress:

Ok, so the skirt is two layers. How about the blouse? I'm just curious to know if you have any idea if it also has the same second layer of multi-colored chiffon underneath the top golden layer, like the skirt does?

29. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Hi Biba-Fett,

I understand you might not be able to get answers about the Jedi costumes until the end of the exhibit, but if you could take note of these questions and try to get information, it'd be greatly appreciated. I have assumptions on most of this stuff, but to know for sure would be awesom. :)

Specifically I'm most interested in Episode 3 Obi-Wan, but it's a pretty straight-forward traditional Jedi outfit, so these could also apply to others:

* Any details on how the belt fastens together in the back. I can figure that the right end of the belt slips through the "loop" and under the left end, but is there a hidden snap or something to secure it?

* How are the tabbards attached to the shoulders (assuming they are)? Studying Episode 2 I figure that they're attached on the inside (near the neck) of the tabbard, but is it with velcro (as I believe has been assumed), snap, or a hidden permanent stitch?

* Any details on how the shoulder-tuck is achieved would be great.

* How do the tabbards attach in the back beneath the obi?

* How is the obi secured in the back? Velcro? Snaps? Other?

* Best guess at what fabric was used for the pants? Or even, are they custom-made pants, or off-the-shelf pants?

I think that's all of my questions on this one... thanks for any insight you can give! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.