Amph Aslan, Jadis, and the Portal to Another World: A Chronicles of Narnia Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by the_wandering_shadow, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_wandering_shadow Force Ghost

star 3
    I know that there was a Narnia thread before, but since it's been locked I thought I'd start another. I've just finished the series, and I must say I loved it, even though I am an adult.

I'll get into more thoughts and feelings when I have more time. 'Til then, and afterwards, I hope other fans can get a bit of use out of this.
  2. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Another Narnia fan here. :)

So, which is your favourite book?
  3. the_wandering_shadow Force Ghost

star 3
    You know, I really don't have a favorite. I think they're all really excellent. Oddly though I can think of what's probably my least favorite. That's easier somehow.

This least favorite was Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I still liked it and it did have its high points. Maybe because it was more episodic seeming? Or it could be that I felt that by the end of the book we'd be losing the last of the original kids as main characters.
  4. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    Really? I love Dawn Treader. I think the plot of Eustace and the dragon drags on a bit, but I really do like the sense of wonder at the end of the book, sailing toward Aslan's country. I love Reepicheep!

I also have a certain fondness for The Silver Chair, mainly because it's something of a rupture with what's come before. There's that wonderful moment where they realize that every choice they've made in the entire book was wrong, and that's a really powerful moment considering the way characters in that sort of book tend to make good choices.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is definitely my favorite of the books. None of the other books have quite the same sense of wonder and magic. It's just wonderful. My least favorite is assuredly The Last Battle, which I find both dull and grating. An unfortunate way to end the series IMO.

But yes. Narnia is great, and the first book is clearly the strongest in my opinion.

-Paul
  5. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    My daughter in law got me the books on DVD for Christmas.

I first read the whole set on ACappella tour in high school, many years ago.

6. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    It is difficult for me to decide on my favouritre book, as well. But now that I really think about it, it would be The Magician's Nephew. The Wood between the Worlds mesmerises me each time I read the book. I hold it to belong to group of the most interesting bits of Fantasy literature because such a seemingly simple setting of a children's tale can trigger the deepest of the philosophical debates and can really get one thinking. That's probably the reason the Magician's Nephew will always be something special to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.