main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Aviatrix, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    Greets,

If I want to display a video in 1024x768 in "widescreen" aspect ratio, how many pixes high will each of the blacvk bars need to be?

I can do the math to extrapolate for 800x600 and 640x480

Thanks in advance.

2. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    ...where would you get 1024x footage?

3. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Ugh. There really isn't a good answer to this question.

Not only are there several "widescreen" aspect ratios: 16:9, 2:1, 2.35:1 etc., but it is very likely that the pixels in your video are not square as well.

Furthermore, depending on which codec you are using to store the video, playback may be adversely affected.

Until everything I wrote above makes sense to you (which I suspect it won't), none of the rest of the (correct) answers you receive will make much sense either.

-Spiff

4. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    Okay.. this question really perplexed me.. so I took the challenge. Now it doesn't seem that difficult.. and it's probably not.. but I just couldn't get it to work right. It would almost seem different programs have a minutely different variation of the aspect ratios. So anyhow.. I have no idea what you think you doing... nor do I condone your radical actions ;)... but I think these might roughly be the answers you looking for ....

For the 16x9 widescreen aspect ratio.. as seen on some HDTVs and the such.. I think you would need to add bars that are 1028px wide by 96px high.. to the top and bottom.. that's a 192 pixel crop all together. Note I'm talking about standard square pixels (1.0)... no 1.2 or 0.9 or anything.

For cinemascope widescreen (2.35) you'll need bars that are roughly 1028px wide by 166px high... or a 332 pixel crop total.

Now.. I think I might be off by a couple pixels.. I dunno... it didn't exactly work perfectly when I tried importing a self-made "cropper" into Premiere and compared it to other widescreen footage. The width was off for some reason.. even though I scaled it to DV.. using the width. Oh well.. hope this helps somewhat.

--- Edit ---

Again... thats a straight answer. I dunno what kind of footage you have or what format/codec/etc you plan on using for this.. so .. I dunno.. I can't say whatever you doing is gonna work or is proper.. just be mindful of pixel aspect ratios and the like. ;)

5. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Aviatrix, I need to know a few things before I can answer your question. Is your source video already at the proper aspect ratio for it's current resolution (pixel height/width)? Does it already have black bars on the top or bottom or is it "cropped"? What is the resolution of your source video? Once I have this data it will be quite easy to answer your question using, well... ratios. Simple pre-algebra stuff.

6. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    I kinda assumed his footage was 4:3 in square pixel. If I had to guess.. I'd say he was doing something along the lines of animation... and I also might assume it's for the web. Just a guess though...

... am I wrong dude? :)

7. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Until everything I wrote above makes sense to you (which I suspect it won't), none of the rest of the (correct) answers you receive will make much sense either.

Haha, you got told.
    Ahh, that was good.

Yes, yes to Spiff you listen!

=)

-Vaportrail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.