main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Asperger's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    They would, if only more people smelled of it.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Eccentric.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think beezel has fully proven the issue with the self-diagnosis category. And the trouble of this weird us versus them mentality that seems utterly pointless.

Kyle Katarn and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  4. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I think I do:

1.) Miss social cues all the time.
    2.) Can 'sense' people who have it and tend to befriend them
    3.) I do some pretty, pretty strange things Aspies would do about their obsessions
    4.) Which of course I have obsessions
    5.) Say "we" when I should be talking in first person a LOT
    6.) Think people are laughing/teasing me when they ask me about my life/general conversation

Why I don't have it:
    1.) There's times where some of the above don't apply at all.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So you're royalty?

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    No, he's a Borg.

7. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Add me to the list of persons diagnosed with Aspergers.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Diagnosed? Or self-diagnosed?

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Diagnosed by someone else

10. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I know two individuals who have been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome. What's interesting is that while I have ran into plenty of people who almost brag, saying things like "I'm so OCD, I have asperger's, I'm ADD", I've never heard either of these gentlemen even acknowledge that they have it. Honestly, I'm not sure they'd be able to really articulate it as it's just who they are. One of these guys is truly disabled by it and his family had to fight with doctors for years to get any kind of diagnosis while the other guy seems to be blissfully unaware of it. I think to both of them it's pretty much just a part of who they are. It's not a "fun fact" about themselves or a hidden talent or a "look how unique and quirky I am kind of thing" but just a normal part of their lives. I think much of the time the more someone recognizes a syndrome like this, the less likely they are to have it or have a severe case of it.

11. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Pretty much that. Days or weeks can go by that it doesn't cross my mind until something reminds me that I have it. I like to think of it as being like Clark Kent: he's so good at being the mundane journalist that nobody could even imagine that he is also Superman. I strive to be more like Clark than Supes, but I do make use of my "super powers" every now and then too.

12. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    This is what I was talking about earlier, just because your brain isn't wired to read non-verbal cues by default does NOT mean that you are incapable of doing so. It took me years of practice and observation to get it to the point where I can function normally 98% of the time. The human brain is quite plastic and can be retrained to learn new behaviors. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you cannot do something now that you'll never be able to do it, you're more than the sum of your parts.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have been diagnosed with a light version of aspergers, and light ADHD, and light dyslexia.

In other world: I am a light product