main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Assajj Ventress

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ixoyefreak, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Well I figure one of a few things could have/ will happen to her.

1) She's living on a lone planet as a Sith/Dark Jedi Hermit teaching those who wish to now the darkside/force (Like Yoda)

2) The Vong killed her when she entered there space

3) Venress was discovered by Vader and killed

4) She has become a member of the one sith

5) Will be redeemed and made into a jedi....

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That would suck

3. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Well, that mental image just ruined my day.[face_plain]

In any event, I've always envisioned Alpha trying to kill Ventress, a standoff ensues, an uneasy truce is worked out, and both go their seperate ways, trying to leave their old lives behind.

4. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    That would be a fine ending for both characters. Too many SW characters either become ageless and show up later on, (Aurra Sing, A'Sharad Hett, though I'm not complaining about the former) or just disapear without any sort of closure. The one thing that really bothered me about Assajj's "death" and subsequent disapearence was that we never found out whether she found a place to get away from it all. It was just left hanging and it bothers me when that happens, particulairly to my favorite characters. Is it too much to hope that she and Dass Jennir will cross paths in Dark Times and not kill each other?

5. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Honestly, I would have preferred that Ventress be the one to show up in LoTF instead of that two bit hack Aurra Sing.

Sing rather bothered me in the Comics. I really couldn't buy her waxing those two Jedi on Coruscant and Sharad Hett while getting pounded by A'Sharad Hett. That stupid antenna really bothered me too.

Ventress had the feel of a real threat.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is assuming they were looking to join him, or that they stayed long enough to be interesting to us. Lumiya poo pooed them. Lomi and Welk ended up being useless. Asajj seemed like she wasn't particularly interested in being involved in anything beyond being alone, now.
    I think they chose raspy voice because Alema could only hear her voice and not see anything else about her, considering they all apparently keep themselves obscured by darkness and shadow; the only reason she knows White Eyes has white eyes is because they seem to glow and stand out from the darkness around him.

Granted, Asajj had a raspy voice, but I wouldn't call it her "trademark." Her bald head and pallid skin are far more interesting and unique.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My problem was that Anakin Skywalker should have killed her both times he attacked her.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    He thought he did both times, no?

9. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    It's kinda funny.....

I remember when Darth Krayt first showed up and I said that we was A'Sharad Hett....people either laughed at the idea or tried to find any excuse/argument/reason to show that it wasn't him. I guess we will all find out in time (again). But I can't take credit for this one....somebody else on here 1st mentioned that she could be Assajj Ventress, but I strongly agree.

[face_peace]

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish he had. Unfortunately (for us), Anakin wasn't quite at the point where he could just hack someone's head off with a lightsaber when they couldn't defend themselves. It took Palpatine's goading and someone he really, really hated like Dooku to push Anakin over that edge. There was the Tuskan Tribe, of course, but that was a special circumstance involving his mother. I just wish Anakin had learned that just because you throw someone off a cliff doesn't mean they're dead. At least Luke knew that merely falling off a cliff was nowhere near enough to kill someone (unfortunately), though it cost Luke a lot too.

Anyway, yeah, if I had to read about Aurra Sing or Asajj Ventress, Ventress had at least had some minor depth, or potential at depth, rather than that two-bit bounty hunter. I'd wish Vader could've killed her during the Jedi Purge, but no, of course not, she sat out the entire Purge safe in prison than got out several decades later and goes back to doing the exact same thing she was doing fifty years earlier.

And A'Sharad Hett isn't quite as annoying as there's a big story behind him, both during the prequel era and leading up to his Darth Krayt transformation. Although K'kruhk is a bit more vague with how he jumped from Republic era to Legacy era, though that gap is being filled in now. Then again, he wears the Hat, so that might be enough.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The difference was the Darth Krayt = A'Sharad Hett theory had a ton of evidence stacked in its favor. This one has "they both have raspy voices" and "Asajj Ventress isn't dead." It doesn't rule it out, it's just there's not a lot of information on its side, yet.

12. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I like to think she felt some kind of regret towards what she did, but still didn't embrace the light. She could've lived like Ulic and been a hermit, until some young padawan arrives to seek knowledge of the Force. After all she went through, i don't imagine she would join the Sith.

That being said, it would still be cool. But wouldn't she be way too old? I thought she was human

13. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    She bought a bad wig and took up night bartending at the Cantina.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Agreed.
    She's Rattataki. Even if she was human, she'd be about as old as Aurra Sing.

15. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    She is Rattataki (just like Aurra Sing[unconfirmed]). I'm not sure what the average life span is for a rattakian, but Sing showed up in LotF. Plus, even though she wanted to get away from it all, there's a huge gap in the EU that isn't explained about her. If it is her....there's tons of backstories such as the Vong War. Anything could've happened to her to eventually be found by Darth Krayt. I think the "raspy voice" description is huge. Like I said earlier...there are tons of adjectives an author can use to describe a being and that's the one they chose. I'm sticking with my gut feeling.

16. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I'm not sure if you mean your problem is...

A. General irritant with people coming back to life

or some type of...

B. Anakin would have been cooler if he hacked her up and made SURE she was dead or the fact that Anakin killing her before being knighted makes her weak...

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, I think it's the other way around. Ventress was a Jedi's student who had her master killed and completely fell apart. Either she was a miserable failure as a student or Narec was a miserable failure as a teacher. She then somehow gets it into her head that the Jedi were evil for not rescuing her master and falls into her default mode of "Shriek, blunder around in impotent rage, and try to kill things". Then she desperately, pathetically seeks Dooku's affection and a position as his apprentice. Basically, she's a complete psychopath who longs for a father figure. There's not much depth to her because she's just so shrill. It's like nothing even goes on in her brain other than shrieking rage.

Sing, on the other hand, was a slum kid taken by the Jedi and trained. Then she gets captured by Anzati assassins and her master just abandons her. For real. Then she's raised by a bunch of depraved assassins and ends up loose as a bounty hunter who likes to kill Jedi because she was betrayed by the order. The thing, I guess, is that her issues are far more real and, while angry, she's actually sane, while Ventress comes off as an utterly two-D psychopath. It's just hard to get depth out of her whereas I see far more potential in Sing. Steward did a good job with Ventress in Y:DR, and Ventress gets far more exposure overall, but in terms of actual depth present within the character for use, I think Sing has more.

18. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

i have an easier time believing Ventress' back-story than Sing's

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    C. It makes ANAKIN look weak that both times the Chosen One goes out of his way to kill a woman, she escapes.

20. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    i'd love it if she gave on the force and attempted to quit it cold turkey, hoping the lack of use would cause it to atrophy. she later finds that she is still connected to the force and.... takes up gardening or something. continues to stay true to the end of obsession and remains in hiding. maybe people are hunting her. she does what she can to remain under the radar. on a backwater planet that is technologically eons behind the rest of the galaxy, yet she is able to blend in with the population somehow.

21. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    No, Sing got out of prison pretty soon after she was sent there, and was later sent back to prison and escaped again.

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Really? Huh, in Tempest Threepio said that she was stuck in prison until the Yuuzhan Vong invaded, and Leia and Han guessed that she had escaped during the invasion. And if she was stuck in prison, then that would explain why she wasn't killed off like most of the rest of the Jedi. Though doesn't that sound kind of stupid? She was captured, sent to prison, got out then sent to prison again?

Then again, not that suprised either. Its like in a DC or Marvel comic book. You defeat someone, capture them, send them to prison, and in less than a year, they're out doing the exact same thing they were doing before the hero sent them to prison. Not to mention that only Jedi ever seem to get captured and stay in prison. Though Jedi are usually held by bad guys who have no problem using torture whereas Republic prisons are supposed to have rules so Force wielders can break out somewhat easily.

Anyway, don't know much about Sing as she usually just showed up, whacked a few Jedi, then made a clean getaway while everyone else looked stupid. Ventress just can't seem to die (unfortunately) and both had major grudges against Jedi, not to mention not much depth. At least Ventress was somewhat... misguided? Well, more like really whiny. Or something, whereas Sing is just really, really mean.

And yeah, I agree that it makes Anakin look weak when he fails to kill Ventress not just once, but twice, and he was actually trying both times. Both "deaths" were supposed to push him closer to the darkside, instead it keeps turning out that "whoops, she's not dead, oh well". Not to mention how ridiculous her deaths were. Being thrown off a temple roof is relatively simple to understand. The second time Anakin had her already trapped in wires, then dropped her at least five stories and probably further into Coruscant's depths, and she still gets off mostly fine. It takes her a while to heal, but um... it still seems really lame. She doesn't even have any super-regenerative powers unlike Durge (who is also annoying, and I expect to pop up sooner or later). Oh well, its not like most major bad guys die unless its the end of an era (Clone Wars, NJO, etc.).

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Denning messed up. Sing was never intended to stay in prison indefinitely the first time she was captured since she had already appeared in stories set further ahead in time. She traded information about Kh'aris's bounties on Jedi for an early release and she was out of prison within four months. Going by Tempest, she was apparently imprisoned on Oovo IV again, where she stayed from sometime after the Battle of Endor to the Yuuzhan Vong War.

Frankly, I think it's stupid that she was brought back at all. Her complete fall into obscurity after Order 66, ultimately appearing in Star Wars: Demolition ([face_laugh]), was a much more satisfying end to her character, simply because it was so traditionally unsatisfying. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. Beautiful. =D=

Thanks, Troy Denning! [face_peace]

24. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Actually, Tempest only says that after her imprisonment by Aayla, there was no record of her release. That just means Threepio has no knowledge of her activities post-release and everyone else assumes she was on Oovo IV 'til the invasion. The possibilty of a recapture never even entered my mind the first time I read Tempest since the other explanation makes perfect sense. Therefore there was never a problem.

25. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Asajj being the raspy-voiced woman seems feasible, and Cronal as White Eyes is intriguing as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.