main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Assasinating Padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthJay27, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJay27

DarthJay27 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2007
    I find it somewhat hard to believe that Palpatine would be the one behind the assasination attempts on Padme. Here's the thing. We are led to believe that Palps grand scheme was very carefully planned and orchestrated. But what if the bounty hunters had been successful in killing Padme? She was an integral part of Anakin's fall. Had she been killed before they had a chance to fall in love and marry, Palps would have been left without the catalyst for Anakin's turn to the dark side. I just don't think that he would have risked Padme being killed before the time was right. Am I right?

2. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Palpatine wasn't behind it. Nute Gunray was.

3. DarthApocalypse

DarthApocalypse Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2007
    Sids was behind the assassination attempts on Padme. He wanted her killed to rid her opposition to the Military Creation Act and to show excatly why the act was needed. Sids just used Nute's hatred for Padme's as a cover.

4. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    No, because he needed Padmé alive to trick Anakin. That's why he suggests Kenobi to protect her and has her obey an executive order to hide.

Palps doesn't want her dead...yet.

5. DarthApocalypse

Apr 29, 2007
    At first Sids was planning to use Kenobi's death to seduce Anakin. However once Sids discovered Anakin married Padme and became attached to her, then he decides to use Padme. Which isn't until the end of AOTC.

6. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    But Palps intentionally puts Padmé and Anakin together at the beginning of AOTC, which means he doesn't want her dead.

7. DarthJay27

DarthJay27 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2007
    In the grand scheme of things it was Palps. Nute Gunray was just a pawn, no different than Dooku and Grievous

8. DarthApocalypse

Apr 29, 2007
    He didn't intentionally put them together. He never suggested that Anakin go off alone with Padme. The Jedi Council did that.

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    True, but he did suggest Obi-Wan and Anakin be placed in charge of protecting Padme.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    And the next logical step to that is that the young, aggressive Jedi would be in charge of protecting the Senator, while the older, more experienced and subtle Jedi would be in charge of finding who tried to kill her.

As far as I know, Padme's assassination was all Nute. And if it was successful, imo tere would've been plenty of other ways for Sidious to turn Anakin-first among them, revenge. "Hey, want a shot at killing the guy who was responsible for the murder of the woman you loved?"

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well it's a win win situation for Sidious in this case. He trusted it to the force that Padme would live because she had her own destiny; either to carry the Skywalker twins/ participate in the downfall of Anakin.

Either way the attempts build up the anger and fear in Anakin. His fear that she could be killed and his anger at Nute for trying to have her killed. If she dies, he loses it anywaise. Either way it helps in the downfall of Anakin.

12. jedimastermarty

jedimastermarty Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't understand why they never found another double for Padme. It would've helped with future assassination attempts.

13. DarthApocalypse

Apr 29, 2007
    They did find another double. She was blown up in the beginning of AOTC. Her name was Corde.

14. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    This is another question that requires some assuming, but I think that ultimately Palps wanted her dead because of her opposition to the army at the begining of AOTC but later found that she could be useful in manipulating Anakin.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is claimed by Luceno in Dark Lord, at any rate.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because Jonathan Hales said that Palpatine put Anakin and Padme together, so that could do what they did. Palpatine didn't need Padme dead. If he wanted her dead, he would've executed her himself or sent Dooku to do it. A Sith Lord doesn't fail in assassination plots. He just needed Padme out of his hair so that he could manipulate her replacement into giving him Emergency Powers. It just so happened that Nute Gunray's hatred of Padme gave him an excuse with which to act.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Interesting. Where does the information on Hales come from?

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    the PT we discuss, to PT forum I shall send you.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Uh... what?

20. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    This is very simple. Follow the chain. Zam-Jango-Tyrannus-Sidious. End Thread.

21. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    If Padme died at the start of AOTC, Ani would go all 'Tusken Camp' on Zam, Fett, ect. Driving Anakin closer to the dark sooner, which would only serve Sids plan. Either way, he wins.

22. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    "It is clear that Viceroy Gunray is behind the assassination attempt on Senator Amidala."

"I'm not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk!"

"This isn't how it's supposed to be. Jango, finish her off!"

Still disagree?:rolleyes:

THREAD COMPLETE.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "Patience, Viceroy. She will die." ( great foreshadowing BTW )

The operative word in the above is attempt.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Making of AOTC. Not sure if Hales did the film commentary. I don't have the quote on me, but I do recall seeing a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.