main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Assault Ship Models, advice needed

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Darth_SaberTooth, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_SaberTooth

Darth_SaberTooth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Very new to 3D modeling but very interested. Just started using Max a 2 months ago and worked on some tutorial models. These are my first 2 attempts at actually making something. It is not done, I am hoping to recieve some advice before trying to complete it.

[image=http://img31.exs.cx/img31/5057/venator4li.jpg]

[image=http://img31.exs.cx/img31/517/assaultship18he.jpg]

I wanted to render them 2D style so when finished, it looks like it came out of the Clone Wars cartoons.

So any tips for a 3D "nub" ?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    3d Total has alot of good tutorials, including beginners tutorials.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    You've got a good start there, SaberTooth. I'd look over some of the tutorials and galleries at SciFi Meshes to get inspiration and helpful hints. There is some amazing work over there and a lot can be learned just by looking around. Best of luck with the models!

4. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    You need to have a more specific question. You need to just keep practicing, reading tutorials... then you'll know what to ask.

5. joek1010

joek1010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    Its all in the detailing. It looks like you've got the general shapes down pretty well. You just have to add details to the hull (gun turrets, ports, etc.). You should take a look at some of the scifi3d meshes (if haven't already) to see how they apply details. Good luck!

6. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    Few things that will help you out tremendously in the beginning here--these are just things I do (basically) when starting a model...

1. Draw out what you want to make. Get at the very least a good topside outline, if not one from the side as well. Scan 'em and put them into Max as the viewport backgrounds (alt+b will get you the menu...make sure you select bitmap on the left for aspect, and make sure lock pan/zoom is checked so the background stays put for you).

2. Learn how to use shapemerge...eventually you won't really this is "as much" as other modelling options, but in the beginning it is a huge help.

Right now I'm working on a VCX-350 freighter (for you ol' Star Wars Gamer readers, it was the issue with a ton of Corellian Engineering Corp's ships drawn up), what I had to work with was a half-assed perspective drawing of the ship.

I busted out a huge piece of paper and drew the top of the ship, and only one half of it (no way it'd be accurate on both sides if I did both). I used the reference pic I had to plan out hull panels and basic features of the ship.

Then I drew a side profile, using the dimensions from the top to help frame it equally. Scanned these both, put them in Photoshop and put them out as high-res shots (doesn't have to be high res, but I prefer it so I can zoom way the hell in there without the pic getting ugly).

Hop into Max, and get to work. I like copying the hull panel details into a spline object (use the "line" tool, once done use "attach" to attach all the different shapes you drew together), then I make the basic shape of my hull pieces and go from there.

Like Zoo said, it is gonna take a ton of practice and the otugh part about tutorials is they aren't always "what you're looking for," but eventually you realize that a tutorial about making clouds may help you make the smoke stream you wanted, that kind of thing.

Good luck to ya, and welcome to 3d modelling :)

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Good point(s) Katarn. I completely agree about tutorials - I read whatever I can find in my spare time and it's amazing the stuff you pick up! I even look over stuff for applications I don't have sometimes if it's an effect I want to create. Knowledge is extremely powerful and there's more than can be looked at in a day with a simple Google search. Learn all you can about the subjects you're interested in and you'll be glad you did later. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.