main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Assigning Episode Numbers to EU Works

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Comedian, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Have you ever considered where books (or comics or games, for that matter) would fit into the Episode numbers of the movies? Well, I have. :)

I'm speaking thematically, rather based on quality, hence not all of these being popular choices.

So Darth Plagueis would be Episode 0. It goes back another generation (this time a generation in the Sith hierarchy, rather than the Skywalker family), and sets up the story of the whole movie saga.

As for the ST of the existing EU...

Episode VII - Betrayal
    Episode VIII - Sacrifice
    Episode IX - Invincible

Again, this is based on plot, not on quality. Legacy of the Force contains most of the elements I expect to see in the real ST. The next generation taking the lead (as much as they ever have in the EU). A galactic war (a civil war at that). Palpatine/Vader's legacy. The Skywalkers facing the dark side. LotF gets a lot of flak for repeating the prequels (and I'm not saying that is or isn't deserved), but that mirroring is exactly why it feels like it fits in with the movie saga.

And if we can include decimal points...

Episode 0.5 - Cloak of Deception (Sets up the politics of TPM. Only other reale choice I can think of is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which isn't as integral to the overall plot.)
    Episode 1.5 - The Approaching Storm (Out of AS and Rogue Planet, AS covers more of the Separatist movement.)
    Episode 2.5 - Labyrinth of Evil (Lot of Clone Wars media, but LoE is one of the few that feels like it bridges AotC and RotS, rather than just being set inbetween.)
    Episode 3.5 - The Force Unleashed (Remember, overarching plot significance, not quality. Vader tries to betray Palpatine for the first time, the Rebellion is formed, and we get a sense for the Jedi after Order 66.)
    Episode 4.5 - Allegiance (Splinter of the Mind's Eye is one of the grandfathers of the EU, but it feels like Zahn does more to move the characters between the two stories, as well as hint at plots like Vader finding out who Luke is.)
    Episode 5.5 - Shadows of the Empire (Obviously the ESB-RotJ bridge novel.)
    Episode 6.5 - The New Jedi Order (If you're going to go from RotJ to Betrayal, you need the NJO to make the transition.

Thoughts? Or am I the only one who thinks about these things? :p

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I've always considered seven, eight, and nine, to be the fourth issue of Crimson Empire III, The Crystal Star, and Force Heretic II: Refugee, respectively. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor is a natural for Episode 5.5, with Episode 2.5 falling to Medstar: Intermezzo. 3.5 is The Revenge of Kybo Ren, for obvious reasons, with 1.5 being a tossup between Republic 27: Starcrash and Episode I: Incredible Cross Sections.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Episode I.5 - The Jar Jar Coloring Book (G-canon)

RC-1991, kubricklynch and cdgodin like this.
  5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I feel privileged to actually understand that reference.

6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    OK, never mind.

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    With the whole of the post-RotJ EU at your disposal that is what you assign the title of "ST of the EU"? Really? I mean, I can see how some would shy away from using TTT, but that!? C'mon, I enjoyed some of LotF as much as the next guy, but you've got to be kidding me.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Easy there big fella.