main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Astonishing X-Men

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This series by far has shocked me. I wasn't sure about Joss Wheadon writing it, considering all I've ever known him to be is my Buffy Guru. So far I've only read the first graphic novel version of the series, since I'm to cheap to buy the comics seperately. Anyone else reading it? Comments? Spoilers (Put in black text please)? General Apperication of this fine comic?

~PK~

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I only got the last five or so issues, but I loved it very much. There's already a TPB out? I'll have to find it sometime soon, because it's annoying to find a series at the end...

3. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah there is, according to Amazon the 2nd one is out already. Which I need to get ahold of. I have to say my fave part so far was when Wolvie fought Beast.

~PK~

4. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

I think I'm up to date with them so far, at least in Britain. While I particularly loved the contention between Kitty and Emma (and the Beast stuff), I absolutely hated the final villain. I was very disappointed by the end of the second run. I understand the series will continue when Whedon is a little less busy, so I hope it will be an improvement.

5. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Is it me, or has Astonishing been absent from store shelves for a while?

6. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

I heard it's shelved because Joss Whedon's got a lot of other projects on the go at the moment. Hopefully, that includes a Serenity sequel ;)

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Is it me, or has Astonishing been absent from store shelves for a while?

It returns in Feb. I?m not yet sure if I?ll continue with it. The first arc was a lot of fun, especially since Whedon really seemed to be concentrating first and foremost on character dynamics. The second arc came across as one long fight scene. If anything, I?ll probably wait for the trade.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've got the first two trades. I enjoyed the first very much -- it was just plain fun. The second was pretty weak.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Initially Joss and Cassidy were only signed on for a 12 issue run. After the reception of the first arc, and Joss realising more things he could do, they signed on for another 12(?).

10. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Ok so i should start seeing it again in my reserve come February. Cool, thanks

11. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    So far this thread is confirming what I've read elsewhere - that volume 2 isn't anything special. I might skip it.
    But the art's so good.........

12. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    I didn't mind the second arc regarding Cerbera. Not totally original given the whole "Hunt for Xavier" arc a while back, but it was good to finally see Xavier treated with the respect he should and show why he's one of the most powerful mutants on the planet, and not just because he can alter minds. The other threads involving both Emma and Kitty are also good to see, and the usual Joss touch.

My only disappointment with the series is purely that I don't get to see one of my favourite contemporary creators play with my fave character. It would have been interesting to see what Joss would have done if Phoenix/Jean Grey was around.

13. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Well maybe when X3 comes out, we can see his touch. Rumor has it he has had a hand in at least some of the ideas for the X3 script from Astonishing X-Men.

~PK~

14. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    I remember hearing that Joss had done some script doctoring on the first film and there was a danger room sequence he wrote. But all of that was cut out before filming began.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I remember well when all the Whedon X3 rumors were rampant. If only they would?ve had some truth to them.

16. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005

My only disappointment with the series is purely that I don't get to see one of my favourite contemporary creators play with my fave character. It would have been interesting to see what Joss would have done if Phoenix/Jean Grey was around.

Me too. I only hope that Joss had a lot of say in the X3 script.

17. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I got the first astonishing x-men trade for christmas, it was great.

18. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    I picked up Astonishing X-Men Saga last night (came out on Thursday). It basicaly is a recap of the first 12 issues. According to an add on the last page, issue 13 will be available on February 22nd.

19. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Is the series worth a purchase?

20. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    If your into X-Men comics, then definately.

21. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    If you like X-Men or how Joss Wheadon writes then yes.

~PK~

22. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Is this regular-timeline X-Men, or some alternate universe? After House of M?

23. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    It is completely in-universe, and issues 1-12 are all set pre-House of M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.