main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA ASTROBOY!!!!! And other cool shows...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Astroboy is on TV again! I don't know if it's a new series like they are doing with all the cool TV shows I used to watch as a child, or if it's a new series... But either way, IT'S BACK ON!!! ABC, Thursday's at 5.25pm

So, this has inspired me to make a new thread. What are the cartoons you used to love as a child, and maybe even still do? If you watch a series now that you used to love as a child, do you still love it? Or do you find yourself asking yourself why you loved it in the first place? If these shows were released on DVD, would you go out and buy them so you can show your children what quality cartoons used to be like?

Shows I miss watching are things that used to be on Saturday Disney, back when it was decent with James Sherry... I loved getting up early on a Saturday to watch Gummi Bears and Winnie the Pooh... Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers was also pretty cool... And then there's always Bananaman, Dangermouse, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck... The list goes on.

I would most definately love to get those shows on DVD to show my children. I think I'd still love them now, but I haven't seen them in a while so I don't know.

So, what about you guys?

2. Lord_Marrak

Lord_Marrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2001
    Dangermouse for sure, DEFFINATELY The Pinky and the Brain :)

3. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Cities of Gold, but no one remembers that.

4. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    banana man...

Wonder if he had a banana phone...

Anyway, goodies too, metal mickey, man thats going back some

5. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Ducktales and Darkwing duck were both great, gummi bears was pretty good too.

Never really got into Astro boy though, tried to watch it a couple of weeks ago but for some reason ABC had no sound, so I gave up.

6. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I never heard of cities of gold but my wife often talked about it. Recently I downloaded the whole series though I haven't watched them yet.
    Recently I've actually downloaded a lot of episodes of series I watched as a kid. These include The Goodies, Battlestar Galactica, The A Team, Automan and The Muppet Show. Most of them I've never seen since I was a kid. Most of them come from people recording them off cable tv.
    I never watched Astroboy but when I was little I did watch Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers a lot. They're probably the only Anime shows I've ever been in to.
    I love the Loony Tunes cartoons and I've got a fair sized collection of them on my hard drive. Many of them are the really old ones including some that are real anti-german/japanese WW2 propaganda. Daffy Duck would have to be my favourite.
    Quite a few have been remade in recent years. Everything from Transformers to Strawberry Shortcake seems to be being re-done with varying levels of quality. My kids watch a lot of them so I see bits and pieces of them.

7. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Hmm i definately want Danger Mouse, Pinky and the Brain, Bananaman, Gummi Bears, She-Ra, He-Man, Gargoyles, Batman, Fraggle Rock, Muppets, Battle of the Planets, Super Ted, Voltron, even more Sailor Moon ahhhhh sooooo many delightful memories ^.^

And Atro Boy freaked me out for some reason, but I still watched it.. but I felt weird! ^.^>

And Cities of Gold had that big gold bird in it that they flew on.

Did anyone watch Agros Cartoon Connection? That was cool, and this other one with this guy and this girl.. uhh, yea.. and then The Feral and Rugrats came on and took over Rugrats and Duckula and.. and.. and.. I wanna be a kid again!!!

8. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    looking at that list Foxy, it seems you need to bring a spindle of CDs over next time you visit :)

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    PIRACY! OMG!

10. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Some of those shows are no longer broadcast, or were not broadcast in this country, nor is there any DVD release for the ones I have.

If the ditributor with the rights for the series in question decides at some point to put them out on DVD, then I will happily delete the ones I have and purchase the DVDs with much better clarity and quality sound.

Glass houses and stones Elliot.

11. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    *sends a bundle of CDs over SM's way* :)

12. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    Anime tends to age very well, they deal with issues such as their main characters coming of age, confronting internal fears and the kind. Most of the produced series on Tv dealt with whatever was topical (war on drugs), things that don't take precedence in our minds anymore. Robotech is always a favourite with me. As for TV shows, Airwolf always quenched my viewing thirst. Stringfellow Hawk, the loner with his maligned midus touch, (Anyone that gets close to him emotionally, dies) I related to. As for the homogenised and politically correct rubbish that Disney serves up these days, well that is a rant I suggest I leave 'till another day.

Symmbian

13. Darth_Cyclonis

Darth_Cyclonis Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    yeah i remember cities of gold, those kids with the gold medallions etc etc

ROBOTECH is my all time favourite by far !!!

teknoman, thundercats, voltron, silverhawks and old he-man kicked ass also....

14. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
  15. Darth_Cyclonis

Darth_Cyclonis Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    fabulous secret powers were revealed to me.......

16. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    do you want the good news or the good news first?

danger mouse and count duckula or now available on dvd IN AUSTRALIA! hunt around for them, i've seen a fair few copies on my travels. he-man is available but only on import.

17. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    The original Astroboy (1980s version) is available in the most awesome looking box set I have seen in a while. It comes in a lunchbox and has a booklet about the god that created Astro. Every single episode is on there. In the order of Japanese broadcasting. And now that I have managed to watch some fo them, I can answer my own question.

Having watched a few of the episodes there was a lot I didn't remember, but Soup did. But I know as I was watching one episode in particular I was recognizing more and more of it. And man I love it! The new Astroboy is no way near as good as the original. If you can get yourself a copy and you loved it as a child I highly recommend you do so. That's an order. Go out and find it. NOW!!!!

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    A lot of cartoons have been remade badly. Transformers is one example that comes to mind. The new one relies on fancy animation at the expense of decent plots. I haven't watched any of the other remakes like He-man.

19. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    We finally got Foxtel connected a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I watched The Goodies and The A Team.

I got alot of laughs out of the Goodies but I don't think the A Team has aged too well, maybe it was not one of the better episodes but it didn't do much for me.

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I've seen a few A team episodes recently. They're cheesy as anything but I guess that's what a lot of them were like back then. Another similar one from the same producer that was also high on the cheese factor was Automan. I've got quite a few episodes of both series.

21. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    i'm gonna have to get a-team and knight rider dvd sets eventually :p as much as they are cheesy and no doubt have aged poorly as mentioned, i just loved the stuff.

22. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I was over at Sith_Jester's place last night and we were flicking through Foxtel and found that they've even re-done Noddy! It appears they've done a full 3D rendering thing off the original models from the stop motion.

It doesn't look as funky as it used to. And they appear to have added this... coloured guy. I can't think of a politically correct way to put it. He isn't a Gollywog or anything, he's an actual guy. I'm just waiting for them to add the typical gay guy and the typical goth to the list of characters.

And the new Transformers sucks big time. How many times have they remade that poor show now? And honestly, how can Optimus Prime be anything but a prime mover?

23. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    In Noddy they had already replaced gollywogs with goblins. More politically correct of course. [face_plain]
    On another note, I recently got about 20 odd episodes of Monky. I never watched that show back when it was on TV but my wife did and I've watched them more recently.

24. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Monkey rocked then, and it still rocks now. Soup and I saw some of the episodes on video for $5 a couple of months ago and bought it. Now we're trying to find the rest of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.