main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Astromech Droid Names

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Janz_Walker, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Can anyone list for me the names that various X-Wing pilots have called their astromechs? This is for a project. Seriously. :) Unfortunately I left my Rogue Squadron books back home. I need about ten names. So far I have Whistler and Jawaswag.

Chris

2. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Jaina's astromech was called Sparky but it got kinda destroyed.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Chunky, Gate, Mynock, Shiner, Gadget, Vape, Thirteen, Tonin, & Clink are all Rogue and Wraith astromech names. Most are R2 units, but some, (such as Gate), are R5 units.

Also, Mynock and Gate are the same unit. Mynock was Wedge's R5 at the beginning of the X-wing series, but it shrieked alot in battle, (thus the name "Mynock"), so Wedge had its memory wiped and changed its name to Gate

4. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks! It's amazing. You post a question and within fifteen minutes it's answered. :)

5. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    I've always thought "MO" would be a good astromech name. You know, R2-, R3-, R4-, R5-, R6-, or R7-M0. You could even pitch down the vocabulator for a more "manly voice." ;)

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You missed the most famous Rogue Squadron astromech, Rogue_Ten. Artoo-Detoo. After all, when Luke served with Rogue Squadron, Artoo was his astromech.

Gavin's astromech was originally called Jawaswag, but he later changed it to Tough Catch, and then to Catch after Catch defended himself when a group of Jawa's tried to catch him.

Luke's R7 unit was named Artee(R7-T1)

Kyp's Q9 astromech from DJ was named Zero-One.

Obi-Wan's astromech in AotC (yeah, yeah, you said X-wing pilot's, I just got going with astromechs) is Arfour.

7. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Lol. I think it's assumed that whoever reads this knows about Artoo Detoo. Anyways, thanks again for the info. I have plenty of droid names to pick from, now. :)

Chris

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    They have no sense of taste, those fighter jocks. Why not call one Dude?

"Hang on back there, Dude," Luke called anxiously. "We're going for a ride."

9. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    What about Fiver?

10. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Dancer is Mara's Astromech in sbs but the book didn't give a reason for the name :(

11. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Jaina replaced Sparky with Cappie, named after her wingmate Anni Capstan who was killed.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Knight: I left out droids with names that were the same as their designation. I thought she only wanted droids with nicknames. And I left out Jawaswag because she said she already had that one at the top of the page.

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Excellence-can I borrow "Dude" for a fan fic?

I think that would be a PERFECT name for Wes Janson's droid!

LOL

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Kell Tainer had an astromech named 'thirteen'
    cuz every time he asked for a random number... 13 would be the answer.

15. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    Fiver is the name of Anakin's R7 astromech. These are used mainly in the E-wings, whose advanced systems are too much for the R2 and R5 models to handle.

Horn out

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Guinastasia, yes you can use my suggestion of Dude as an astromech name for your fanfic. I don't mind.

Incidentally, instead of calling him 1-1A each and every single time, why can't Lando give the fellow an actual name? Even a nickname would suffice. I just don't like seeing the alphanumerics every instance.

Han and Lando call Threepio Goldenrod and Golden Boy, respectively. Why not give poor 1-1A a name?

Like Boss!

"Remain calm. Vong detected in the crowd."

"Take 'em out, Boss," Lando smiles.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    1-1A's lack of a name contributes to his funny. It's better this way.

18. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    by going by the name One-One-Ay, the droid seems doomed to the fate that befalls all characters whose first name is longer than 2 syllables... ;)

1-1A is all business... he doesn't need a name.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
  20. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    Is this project the NJO XWA project in your sig? Because if it is, then I'm with you all the way. Go X-Wing Alliance!

"Gadget, pull out something and give me more power!"

Horn out

21. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I left out droids with names that were the same as their designation.

Then you shouldn't have mentioned R5-G8 (Gate) and should have left it at Mynock.

22. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, first of all it's "he". :)

Oddly enough sometimes it would be nice if I were a she. Cause then I'd be able to find a star wars fan of the opposite sex. :_|

Ok shut up before you post anything nasty. :p

YES it is the same project for X-Wing Alliance! Incidentally we have started up an XWA wing for TFN in the Games forum. So check it out. You can't miss the thread. :)

Chris

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Janz, that's a bloody good point!

Aren't all astromechs made male? When has a "female" droid been written, if not as a TDL 3.5 nanny droid? Just because a combat or gladiator droid is such, doesn't mean they can't be written as female.

This reminds me of a time when a "professional" looked over a piece of my writing and frowned. I countered, hadn't you ever seen a female admiral before?

24. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    Guri or something, check the EU databank on the official site.

25. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I can very, very, very, very(you get the point) vaguely remember someone posting a thread about whatever happened R2D2's girlfriend during the NJO... I believe this female droid appeared in the droids series or something like that...

Come to think of it, I believe it was Genghis who posted it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.