main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Astronomicon 9 - Nov 11th-13th

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Looks like I will be there Sunday.

2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Looks like I will be there Sunday for sure.

3. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    *moving list further down thread*

Anyone else?
    Is there anyone that is sure they won't be doing anything at the con other than sitting at the club tables and attending the costuming panel? I was just wondering if it was worth asking the con chair if I need to get passes for folks that won't be partaking in the rest of the con and are only there for the club.

Also what are people's thoughts on raffling off an Episode III DVD? KnightShade doesn't think we'd be able to sell enough tickets to make up our cost and have anything left to donate. What do other's think?

~Doc_Bev

4. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    I do not think the DVD will draw enough interest for a large amount of tickets to be sold even if it is for charity. Seems like everyone would have already bought it.

5. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I know that I for one haven't bought it yet. :p
    And, I have a feeling that many of the other attendees haven't gotten a copy yet either and might be tempted to try to win one at a $1 a try. I might be wrong though...

~Doc_Bev

6. Ayka

Ayka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    Will there be enough people in Attendance at this con to even consider selling 15 Tickets? ^_^.

I know, for the Costuming Panel Situation, a few of us (Names not to be Mentioned), considered "Taking Over", who can resist a Stormtrooper anyway? Oh well, fun fun ^^.

I may be in for all 3 Days, but those prices are gonna drop me into a Financial Heart Attack, so I may be considering a One-Day trip, what day are most of us going to be there?

7. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    don't forget the costuming panel invasion

8. Ayka

May 12, 2005
    Live long Imperial Invasion.. Though how much of an Invasion is 2 Stormtroopers, a Stealthtrooper, a Possible Sandtrooper and Possible Clonetrooper?

9. TX4277

TX4277 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    Well if we are going to take over the con then we will need to do it Sunday since that is when the costuming panel is.

Ayka/Doc_Bev, perhaps we should post to Buffalo and Syracuse on this? I would do it but they seem more responsive to your posts DB.

TX

10. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Don't forget a Royal Guard (if needed) with a forcepike! [face_mischief] heeheehee

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    The projected attendance is 300-400 attendees, so I'm assuming we could sell at least 15 tickets. ;) I already have a little over 100 pre-regd and most folks will just buy tickets at the door.

If you can only make it one day - Sunday would be the day to shoot for.

The weekend ticket price works out like this:
    $45 - reg price
    minus $5 for club discount
    minus $5 for volunteering 8 hours
    = $35 for all 3 days.

Alternatively, Sunday only would be:
    $20 - reg price
    minus $5 for club discount
    = $15 for Sunday pass
    (day isn't long enough for 8 hours volunteer time unfortunately)

I added the 501st & Rebel Legion to the list of panelists for the costuming panel on Sunday at 12pm so I expect a good turnout! :D

The only other panel that might have good "take-over" potential is the "Obligatory Star Trek and Star Wars Panel" that's Friday at 6pm.
    I told ya - this con isn't much for media. And this is a prime example, there's only enough interest for 1 media panel on Star Wars and it's combined with Star Trek! :rolleyes: :p

~Doc_Bev

12. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Sunday Invasion it is.
    I'll block the doors and beat them over the head with pvc piping should people try to flee.
    :D

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Oh, and I did post on Buffalo's boards (it's on their 2nd page) but the 13th is the same day as their meeting. And I just posted on Syracuse's boards, but I don't foresee anyone making it out at this point.

And, Wingnut, the Dorsai Irregulars will be the security force for this con and they don't seem to think highly of Stormtroopers and their friends - so just watch out with that PVC!

~Doc_Bev

14. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    I guess $35 isn't too bad for the weekend... but what about those Volunteer passes, DB? I'll do whatever table-sitting needed to be in as it seems to be just Mike, Jeff and myself on the definites list beyond you pre-reg'd folks, and Jeff only for Sunday...

Also, seeing as how DB got us onto the Costuming panel, I guess this is a moot point... I was going to suggest that we communicate our reservations with the list of Panelists for that panel, in a nicely worded letter/e-mail, and offer our group's expertise to it, rather than the Hostile Takeover we were planning. So long as were in, what more need we do to prep? Lisa from the Buffalo FF is coming by my place Friday afternoon to work up some spats for her Anakin boots with me, and I was thinking, "a great show and tell opportunity!" I could take pix and put 'em to a DVD for projection.. well... it's an idea... But what can we do to look more like the experts we say we are? I just don't want this Sal guy to get a word in... let's make sure that he don't.

I gotta admit, the raffle idea is a good one, and yes, I think people would be interested in the "Sith" DVD. I could throw in some more swag to "sweeten" the deal... anyone else have swag to offer? Burger King is offering some nice things...

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Wingnut V. Dorsai Irregulars

Juuuuuuuuust Kidding.
    I'll be there Sunday. If people want, they can park at my place on Meigs and we can all shuttle over in the Thundertank. Might save some $$ on parking.

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    MadKidJedi I had decided this morning (or last night... I can't remember) that you and TX4277 would get The Rebellion's table passes as you were the only multi-day definites (other than KnightShade) I had on my list - I just hadn't officially posted it yet I guess...

For everyone else, you can earn an extra $5 off by volunteering 8 hours. Or as I mentioned in a previous post - if you are certain that you're not going to be doing anything at the con other than volunteering at our club table and attending our panel - I can ask if I can arrange a special weekend pass for that.

~Doc_Bev

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    More swag for the raffle is always good. :D I'm hoping to find some more SW stuff around the house, but I think we depleted our duplicates in previous raffles. I'm going to try to get over to Wal-Mart soon to pick up the DVD for the raffle - and one for myself too!

My plan was to sell tickets at $1 a piece or 6 for $5. If people buy 6 they get a free "Who's Your Daddy?" poster as a thank you. Ooh - that reminds me - I probably should make a sign for that. Adds that to "to-do" list...

The next thing we need to decide is who to donate the charity money to. We could either combine it with The Dream Factory donation I'll be sending in or pick a different charity. I guess I'll need to know that before I make the sign up...

~Doc_Bev

18. Ayka

May 12, 2005
    ... wait, if you added us as Actual Panelists for Sunday, then we can't Invade, or we'd be breaking up our own Panel.

/sigh, and I was gonna boost the Imperial March speaker sound for the occasion =(.

Oh well! We're panelists! First time! YAY!

19. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Well we could always have our Army march in...but of course only Mike could be sitting for the panel part.

20. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    We didn't make much for the Dream Factory, did we? Otherwise, we haven't done any raffle for MCH where Wesley is a resident and where we meet in a while either, right?

Anyone going to the masquerade on Saturday night?

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    We made a little over $60 for The Dream Factory. And no, we attempted to donate to MCH, but Wegmans had just recently done so so that fell through.

I don't think KS and I will be attending the Masquerade. I have to re-open registration at 8am the next morning so I'm hoping to be home by the time the Masquerade starts.

~Doc_Bev

22. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Volunteer List:
    updated 11/09/05 at 10:35am

Definites:
    Doc_Bev - all 3 days (but will primarily be at registration table) - has free pass as Staff
    KnightShade - all 3 days - has pass
    T_StarFlyer - all 3 days (but will also be at USS Tranquility Table) - has pre-reg'd pass
    DarSolo - all 3 days (but will also be at USS Tranquility Table) - has pre-reg'd pass
    TX4277 - has Rebellion table pass
    MadKidJedi - Sat & Sun - has Rebellion table pass
    SWF-JPB - Sun only - needs pass

Interested:
    Ayka
    Akayeon

Unable:
    HothGirl

EDIT: Just got a list this morning of who else will be having fan club tables in the Skyway Lobby with us:

Ad Astra (Toronto fan-run con)
    Anime North
    SCA
    SIMCON (Rochester gaming con)
    USS Tranquility
    RIT Anime
    ORCA

~Doc_Bev

23. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    I thought I read or maybe heard at the media play thing, that jeff was going to be there , but at one of the anime tables , if that is so he may not need a pass

24. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    He's helping man Rochester Otaku's Village Gate toy show table, I don't think they got a table for Astronomicon.

~Doc_Bev

25. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    oh ok I knew I heard him say something, just for the wrong show I guess

oh goody, i just found out I'm free all weekend from the mall!!!! Yea for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.