main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Astronomicon 9 - Nov 11th-13th

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    We'd so love to have you guys out for next year! If it takes place it'll be Nov 10th-12th, 2006. I'll definitely post up reminders late next year.

Next year I'll be more specific in requesting our own Meet the 501st/Rebel Legion/Fan Force & Prop Replica panel. And, I'll try to get it on Saturday not Sunday so we have the potential for a bigger audience. Of course, we still might not have an audience given the type of attendees at this convention, but at least it'll be closer on topic to our group than this costuming panel was.

~Doc_Bev

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    It'd be cool to just get as many costumers together in a room as possible from Buffalo, Syracuse, wherever. If we dont help others, we can at show off and share ideas with one other.

3. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Yes that picture does say a thousand words. Its a wonder you did not catch me rolling my eyes. I just kept my mouth shut and hoped the discussion would change.

What is Bobachris refering too. Was there an incident I missed? A Security Problem? What happened?

I have no problem with us doing a general costuming panel. The problem was that we had one guy in the audience that had anything to say out of 2 or 3 others and he seemed to be more familiar with Costume contests at Cons and doing silly stuff for laughs or to win.

Yeah get all costumers together. Not just Star Wars. We should promote that part of it and draw as many Genere costumers to the Con. We should go for what we wanted to do for Slanted Fedorah.

4. Ayka

Ayka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    Hmm, maybe closer to the event next year, we could start pushing that along with the club when we set up shop at events. a Little

"We're the 501st, Rebel Legion, Fanforce, USS Tranquility, International Costumers Guild (Had to, sorry.), (Insert other Costuming/Fan Organizations). If you enjoyed what we do, you can get to know our Art and Trade a bit better at this years Astronomican at [location], where we'll be hosting a Panel on [Day of the Week] the [date] at [time]. We'd love to see you there!"

May draw some attention, and may also get a bit of the Media part into Astronomican (Yes, I *do* realize this is not intended to be a Media-based event, and more on the Literature side, however, it seems to be one of the only Sci-fi Based con's in our oh-so-cloudy (Dark Skies Garrison. Hint-Hint) City. It'd be nice to inject somthing that a Wider audience can relate to and share in... of course, I have no actual say, as I in no way have an Influence on the Con'committee ^^)

5. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Look at you with all thems there good iders!

6. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I will definitely be putting out a press release next time. I was too stressed by the program book and registration activities to think about it this year. And, I could definietly use something along those lines in the press release.

Maybe for next year we can have more stuff like hands on demos of pulled pieces, a video or picture slideshow.

Also, Astronomicon (at least 1/2 the committee) isn't against media guests - they just can't afford them. However, I was told that if we got one to come (and paid their expenses) Astronomicon would absolutely host them (of course - they'd be stupid not to). So that's what I've started looking into - media guests who will come just for expenses. Then we'll have to plan a ton of fundraisers to figure out how to pay for said guest(s). :p

~Doc_Bev

7. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Sorry I forgot to post this earlier... I got sidetracked by the costuming panel discussion. ;)

We only brought in $29. Out of that (or the club funds) needs to come the money for the DVD and possibly for postage to cover the mailing of the prizes if the person that won is not local (I haven't unpacked everything from the Corolla yet and KS took it with him to work so I can't work on that till he gets home). So unfortunately, we made out pretty badly. We put together a very expensive prize pack and didn't get in the money to justify it. :(

~Doc_Bev

8. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Yea raffles are a nice idea , I'd say in the future maybe consider, doing only donated prizes. Or not at all.

9. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Let's see if I can remember what I wanted to respond to from the previous posts...

That's too bad about the amount raised for the Dream Factory. We'll have to do something more for them in the future.

As for next year's Con Costumers panel/Media vs. Lit/a featured Media guest... I like all these ideas from the previous posts, especially the part about us having our own real costuming panel, and DEFINITELY on Saturday. And BobaChris can come and Force-choke any S.O.B.'s that wish to incessantly regale us all with their uber-geek tales from previous Cons. That was just excruciating. I had never ever before wished so much that my lightsaber was real, and that I could behead someone with it, 'cuz I would have...

And we could easily "beef up" our table with some nice multi-media type-stuff. Who's got a camcorder? We should start shooting now. Shoot everything: prop-building, events, bowling, the group just hanging out, etc., just to give the curious who come by our table a feel for what we do.

Media guest? Who's affordable? Who's a draw? Doesn't Hayden live just across the pond in Toronto? (Hee hee... that last one was for me...) We should explore our options closely, and maybe find someone from SW who's not to busy to stop by for a day, and perhaps lower their appearance fee, as we are doing the Charitable thing.

I dunno. That SKY outside looks pretty DARK to me today... (Meesa still likes...)

10. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Who came up with DARK SKY?

I Love that name!

And agreed on everything Dean just said.
    More specificaly the areas involving the words "force choke" and "i wish my lightsaber was real"

11. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    Dark Sky has a nice ring to it but, it dosen't say anything about where we are from. Its like Garrison Tyrannus, sounds awesome but, most people don't know they are from Virginia..... Thats just my 2 cents. We need Nationalism about the Upstate NY area.

12. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    I dunno... I think "Dark Sky" fits our area all too well...

There's also "XeroKodian" Garrison; borrowing from the Xerox and Kodak names.

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    As for affordable media guests, it'll probably be folks similar to those at the Auburn event. Unfortunately we can't go after folks that would be a big draw based on budget (which is 0 since Astronomicon doesn't pay for any of its guests to appear - just expenses), but fortunately Astronomicon hasn't had a media guest in 10 years - so just about anyone would be a draw. :p. The other thing is the media guest has to fit in with the con's theme. Which the last I heard was going to be a combination of Women in Sci-Fi and Star Trek's 40th anniversary.

Wingnut - Dark Sky was MadKidJedi's suggestion.

MadKid keep in mind this garrison won't just be Rochestarians...

~Doc_Bev

14. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    N-U-N?[face_laugh]
    I aint wearing a nuns outfit...no matter how much I was paid..wait...how much would I be paid? :D

15. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    So, are you going to paint your stormtrooper armor in pinstripes then? [face_laugh]

16. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Hello Robin Curtis ....

Actually, we may be able to work with this theme easier than some others, especially if they let the media guest sell her photos, cards and stuff.

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Exactly ;)
    She's at the top of my list! Even though she's been here recently, she's one of the best guests and she fits in perfectly with the theme!

~Doc_Bev

18. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Lolita Fatjo might be another goood place to start since she manages (?) many other stars.

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Indeed she is!
    I forgot who else I met at Dragon*Con that was also an agent...
    I want to say it was Erin Gray.

It seems like it should be easy to find people willing to come, but figuring out how to pay for them is going to be the more complicated matter...

~Doc_Bev

20. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah - I think I remember you mentioning Erin Grey as an agent.

If anyone cares, the Sick Pups is our local NJ/NY International Costumers' Guild at http://www.sickpups.org. It is only $8 to join them, $1 for each additional family/household member, and $6 per person for the ICG. Or with 6 people, you can start your own local chapter (http://www.costume.org/chapters/startone.html). [face_devil]

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Good information to have I guess...
    I'm not really sure I see any personal benefit to joining, but that's just me.
    I was surprised to actually see a Padme dress amongst the member galleries.

~Doc_Bev

22. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I forgot his name, but the guy who was Nien Nub (bad spelling) Landos Co pilot, seems to be pretty cool and Did and Event at FYE for the Phantom Menace DVD release years back. He has other Movie / Sci Fi media background as a puppeteer.

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Yeah, Mike Quinn was very cool at CII & CIII. In addition to Nien Nunb he also puppetted Ree-Yees, Sy Snootles, Yoda and Wol Cabba****e for ROTJ. The rest of his credits can be found here. It might be tough since he lives in England to fly him over here inexpensively, but I'll add him to the "wish list".

~Doc_Bev

24. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    I know wishful thinking, but is there a date set for the next Astronomicon? Have they picked the big guests yet?

For a smaller guest - Constance Penley would be cool to get. She's written several literary, film, cultural and feminist critiques about science fiction (Star Trek and more), used to be a UR professor and is a friend of Sarah Higley. She would have a field day with the whole fan club cultures. She received her PhD from Berkley. Her CV said that she was a professor at UR from 1985-1991 - hmmm - I thought she left during my junior year (1989). Unfortunately, when she left UR, she moved to Santa Barbara, California.

25. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    All that I know about Astronomicon 10 is what's on the back of the program book. It's the 10th-12, probably at the same hotel and no guests what-so-ever have been set.

I can add Constance Penley as a guest. At the very least should could be invited as a panelist.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.