main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Astronomy

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by _Mike_, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    I could go where it's warm....but what fun is that? :)

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    The other night when I went out to take those pictures, it was well below freezing. My roomate's telescope had frost form on its tube. My girlfriend was freezing to two death in a heavy sweater, wool cloak, and my heavy winter coat.

Moral of the story: Astronomy is all about freezing your ass off.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Think they'd let me take my telescope?

If you let me have all the bubble paper they will. I loves the bubble paper. It goes pop...pop...pop...popop...popopop...popopopopopopopop ...popopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopop...

Yep, think I had waaaaaay too much coffee today.

4. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I'd agree. Waaaaaayyyyyy too much coffee. Meanwhile, I'm bummin it's raining right now and I won't get to go observe tonight :(

5. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Isn't that the way it ALWAYS goes when you get a cool new toy?

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    If you let me have all the bubble paper they will. I loves the bubble paper. It goes pop...pop...pop...popop...popopop...popopopopopopopop ...popopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopop
    opopop...

:D BUBBLE PAPER!!
    Such a good stress reliever.

When I don't have bubble paper...
    http://www.snapbubbles.com/
    :D

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That was awesome JCF!! popopopopopopopopopop

8. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    YAY! Clear skies tonight! And Saturn's up....

Oooh. And a comet.

9. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Argh. I got my pictures back today and not a single one came out. They were all completely underexposed. Which doesn't seem right. I must not have adjusted the aperature settings properly.

Anyway, I did find the comet that's out. If you're in a dark location, it's a little south west of Orion. I was able to spot it with my naked eye. Dajuan and I are considering going out somewhere dark after the fan force meeting and doing some observing if anyone else is interested.

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Really? That might be interesting... You won't find a lot of good places to see the stars around here though. Depends on how cold it is too... ;)

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Dajuan and I are considering going out somewhere dark after the fan force meeting

You know if you only read that part of the sentance, red flags start to come up.

You get a picture of the comet, Jon?

12. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Even if I had, it wouldn't have turned out.

13. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Just a reminder, tonight is the peak of the Geminids meteor shower. If you have a chance to get somewhere dark, head outside (with a blanket) and watch the skies for awhile.

I'll be out taking pictures so hopefully I'll have some good ones to show off in a day or two.

14. Maygin

Maygin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    Any specific time tonight?

15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Around midnight is best. If you missed it tonight, it should be good for a few more nights.

I got 2 hours out observing. I started off getting out just before 9 and had Vicky (my g/f) find the Orion Nebula and Saturn quickly to get warmed up (she's still learning telescope usage). I then found the comet that was out again. By then, the traffic on the road we were parked next to had slowed down to roughly one every 5-10 minutes so we figured we could start taking the longer exposures to catch a few meteors.

Over the course of the night the three of us saw nearly 100 meteors. Most of them were small, but 3 were spectacular fireballs that left trails of smoke as they burned through the atmosphere. The first was so bright, it cast shadows. We think we caught 2 of the three fireballs on camera. However, headlights from passing cars may have washed the exposures out. I'm really hoping they didn't, but I'll find out in a few days when I get the film developed. If it's still clear Wed night, I'll probably be heading out again.

EDIT: I'm also in the newspaper again (but this time not my pictures).

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/astronomy/images/article2.jpg]

16. MiracleMets22

Sep 25, 2004
    That's certainly cool you were mentioned. I told my parents about the meteor shower and my Dad, true to form said; "I saw one early this morning" I thought....he couldn't be up THAT early, but he said, it turned out to be Sputnik. I slapped my palm to my head....that's his sense of humor. I hope you got a picture of that fireball. I've never seen anything like that from my house....oh wait, I live in one of the worst light pollution areas for miles....my bad.

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I don't think Sputnik is in orbit anymore. And I'm certainly hoping I got the fireball. As far as light pollution, on campus here, it's hard to make out Orion. But I was still able to catch some meteors a few years ago during the Leonids. The fireballs I saw were easily bright enough to be seen from the middle of the city.

18. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I saw one around 5:45am from the middle of downtown...it was a big bright one.

19. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I got the pictures back today. Apparently I missed both fireballs and didn't appear to catch any fainter meteors either. :(

Anyway, here's the pictures I did get.

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/astronomy/images/gemini-saturn.jpg]
    This one is of the Gemini constellation. I was hoping to get a few meteors coming out of the radiant, but apparently, they didn't want to cooperate. The bright object at the bottom is Saturn.

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/astronomy/images/trailsnearpolaris.jpg]
    This one was near Cassopeia. The fireball must have gone right underneath the frame in this one. Damn, damn, dammity damn.

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/astronomy/images/taurustrails.jpg]
    This one is of Taurus. The fireball that passed near this one went right above the frame.

Meanwhile, I'm currently working on a project to photograph the moon every night for the full lunar cycle and then make an animation of the moon phases.

20. MiracleMets22

Sep 25, 2004
    "Meanwhile, I'm currently working on a project to photograph the moon every night for the full lunar cycle and then make an animation of the moon phases. "

Ever try an analemma (sp?) My professor a year or so ago did one and it was pretty neat.

21. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I've never tried one, because of the difficulty involved. To do it, you have to have the camera in the exact same position every day.

Also, I've got some new pictures developed, but don't have my scanner at this house. As soon as I get it hooked up again, I'll post them.

22. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    My webpage has been updated with several new pics. Two of them my g/f took. Currently, some of the links are down, because my FTP is being stupid. I'll get them fixed soon though.

23. gilraen

gilraen Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    Wow Jon! I am very impressed. You have some great pictures there. I am very jealous... ;)

Hopefully the sky will clear while we are in CO, it would be great to see the stars again, instead of smog...

24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Those are great pics Jon, regardless of what you say about them. ;)

25. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I fixed the dead links. All should work now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.