main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania At Last, a view I can agree with

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by UmmYep, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Maybe if you made your derogatory terms less generalised you wouldn't be quite as misunderstood

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I wasn't the one who generalised it.

And I thought this thread bothered you Kahlan, are you looking to be offended now?

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    hmm strange, I kind of thought some of the terms you used were fairly generalised.
    I also thought that the "you're putting words in my mouth argument" was very well thought of by you after a few posts to think it up. And you know that that's true, even though perhaps you've talked yourself into believing it by now.
    As I said this thread's topic doesn't bother me, I just wondered whether it had exceeded it's limits in this forum and may bother others.
    I continue to post here because I don't like the way you've been trying to intimidate others whilst attempting to remain on the higher rung on which you obviously consider yourself to be.

4. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I also thought that the "you're putting words in my mouth argument" was very well thought of by you after a few posts to think it up. And you know that that's true, even though perhaps you've talked yourself into believing it by now.

Don't go thinking I had to go away and think of a clever comeback, I was actually a little pissed when I got called a racist by someone clinging to an even higher rung and decided I'd had enough of avoiding that particular point and didn't want to start up this debate we currently find ourselves in.
    And I don't mean to intimidate anyone, I just don't like my words being altered to fit someone elses view.
    I should have clarified the "raghead" statement, but seeing as it has been a term I've used for 12 years now, it's not one I'm in the habit of explaining because whenever else it is used, it is understood by the ppl around me.
    I fail to see where you think I've been intimidating ppl, and I'm certain you wouldn't like seeing your words changed either.

5. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I saw a poster on the noticeboard a few weeks back:

"Do you think the world would be a better place if everyone was more like you? Congratulations! You're a closet Nazi!"

So the world would be a better place if everyone was more like the people who put the posters up?

Um, doesn't that make *them* closet Nazis?

Just a thought ...

6. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    I dont see that you were intimidating anyone
    kahlan if you dont like what is being said okay fine you've made your point dont beat us over the head with it ok?
    The point about afganistan winning and the way the whole terrorist action was excuted i agree with it was performed in a very professional manne. I think that this has been brewing over for a while and was bound to have happened eventually anyway america was just a prime target because it looms in everyones minds and is a very influential country therefore prime target.

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    very good point Haggis, and I'm glad you said it was just a thought, 'cos, y'know, otherwise saying that may make ppl think you're a closet Nazi ;)

8. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Hell no.

As Oscar Wilde said: I'd never want to belong to a group what would have someone like me as a member.

9. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    Now theres a good point I mean one of me is bad enough :D smart guy oscar

10. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    ... ain't that a Groucho Marx quote?

11. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    After being advised of the existince of this thread, and upon reading all the posts I feel that I must agree 101% with Sith Magicians point of view on this issue.

To even hint that the people behind this are cowards is pathetic. I know for a fact that I would be willing to kill to protect everything I believe in, and I assume that many others here would too. I ask how many people here would be willing to actally DIE for those same things, not many I imagine. Does this then make us all cowards I ask ?

The persons behind these attacks cannot be brought to justice, as they cannot be rehabilitated and let back into society. Instead they must be destroyed, no matter what the cost.

Do you think they would think twice about bombing your homes if you got in there way ?

Think about it.

12. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    SM- "Ragheads" are a derogatory term for MUSLIMS; naturally I'd replace your derogatory terms with those who you were actually referring too.

You say by me replacing your words with mine that I am being generalised. Well, I'm sorry; but how generalised is "raghead"? You could be referring to anyone who practices Islam or even anyone of Arab origin. I don't care if you've used that term for years; that doesn't make it any more correct, does it? I'm sure you don't call your muslim friends "ragheads" either.

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    You are still using arrogant presumption to replace my words with ones that I had no intention of using.
    You have edited my posts to read so they come out against religion, and not arab extremists.
    I still maintain you have absolutely no right to go putting words in ppl's mouths.

14. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    I say again;

"raghead" = derogatory term for a muslim

It is not arrogance. It is common sense. You used a generalised term for a group of people. By calling the extremists "ragheads" are you not generalising all muslims who wear the same attire? I'm not putting words into your mouth; I was just saying what your words suggested

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    No, you changed my words. Muslim is not a term I had intended to be posted, nor did I wish religion to be brought into this through an editing of my post, and therefore my view point.
    I have the luxury of being able to stay out of the religious side of things, because when it comes to the Christians Vs Muslims debate, I belong to niether side.
    You are the one changing my words to incluse religion, and I don't apreciate being called racist either, if you can't refrain from making personal statements about someone who expresses a view point, or altering their words to fit in better with what you believe they were saying instead of just removing the offending word, perhaps you'r not fit to be an admin.

16. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Going in circles now,

No, you changed my words. Muslim is not a term I had intended to be posted, nor did I wish religion to be brought into this through an editing of my post, and therefore my view point.

Yet, by using the term "raghead" you are insinuating muslims. May not have been your point, but that is what is being suggested

You are the one changing my words to incluse religion

I really didn't need to change the words to make them include religion. They already did.

I don't apreciate being called racist either

Simple solution; don't use racist terms

17. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Jedi-Aztek - I'm not hinting at anything.

I'm saying, quite calmly and clearly: the people who did it, and the people behind it, are cowards.

I won't even start on that "defending your beliefs" and "protecting themselves" nonsense.

18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Even better solution, Do not change a persons words, delete them instead if they offend.

If you need that explained again, I'll see if I can find some smaller words.

19. UmmYep

UmmYep Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2001
    I got this in an email the other day

What to do if you happen upon a peace rally by stupid naive hemp-shirt-wearing college idiots, to teach them why force is sometimes needed:

1) Approach dumb rich ignorant student talking about "peace" and saying there should be, "no retaliation."

2) Engage in brief conversation, ask if military force is appropriate.

3) When he says "No," ask, "Why not?"

4) Wait until he says something to the effect of, "Because that would just cause more innocent deaths, which would be awful
    and we should not cause more violence."

5) When he's in mid sentence, punch him in the face as hard as you can.

6) When he gets back up to up to punch you, point out that it would be a mistake and contrary to his values to strike you,
    because that would, "be awful and he should not cause more violence."

7) Wait until he agrees that he has pledged not to commit additional violence.

8) Punch him in the face again, harder this time.

Repeat steps 5 through 8 until they understand that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

Which reminds me, www.pacifist.com just got delisted from NASDAQ.

20. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    SM;

Firstly, this smartarse tone of yours doesn't help. You already skirted the line with your racist remarks so don't push the envelope

Secondly, I have already admitted that I should've replaced the words with astericks rather than words of my own choosing. I am making the point that YOUR COMMENTS WERE SO GENERALISED THAT IT IS QUITE SIMPLE FOR ME TO MISTAKE THEM FOR WHAT I DID. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

21. Lord_Lazarus

Lord_Lazarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    Just a point I have been wanting to bring up for a few posts.....

Stinrab, if you are admitting that there was an error made in your interpretation of the use of the word "raghead", then why haven't you changed it back, or to extremist, or something else, now that you know Sith Magician's intended use of the word.

By leaving it as moslem, you are turning it into a religous issue, which was obviously not the intended meaning. You are also seeming to say that just because you are an Admin, you are infallible, and refusing to admit that you are wrong.

I apologise if that is not how you are, but that IS how it looks to me.

22. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Stinrab,

Firstly, this smartarse tone of yours doesn't help. You already skirted the line with your racist remarks so don't push the envelope

noone got smartarse until you decided to respond by saying you'll replace my racist slurs with asterisks, it is your tone that is getting condascending.

And although you have admitted that you should have replaced them with asterisks, you have not, therefore I doubt the sincerity of your admission.

Finally, I think you're now trying to use your position as an admin to adopt a threatening tone with me.

Noone has the right to govern ppl's thoughts, or silence someone with an abuse of power.

Since that initial post I have not made any racist (as you put it) remarks directed at anyone. Instead I have merely tried to express my view point and also the fact that I feel I have been wronged by having my words changed by you.

Will you please explain how standing up for my rights to not have my own words altered by you is skirting the line?

23. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    When you first complained about my changing of your words I thought you'd already inserted asteriks into your messages. Guess not. Why didn't u change it to something you find more acceptable?

Anyway, you're still missing the point; I did not make this a religious issue. The word "raghead" is a term for muslim; a person of a religious faith. Don't crap on about how all of a sudden I made this into some religious debate. I didn't. The connotation was already there. Raghead is just another name (albeit a racist one) for muslim hence I replaced it with such.
    I know I should've just replaced it with asteriks. I admit that (what, three times now?). I didn't, I replaced the offending word with what is generally meant.

24. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Oh, and please refer me to a post (which I altered) that somehow made it insinuate all muslims? I just looked over them then and I can't see anything worth all this fuss; they blend in with the conversation and your original intentions (against extremists, not Islam) are still present.

25. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    how about evrywhere there is the word Muslim, that you inserted into my posts.
    I wish to have that word removed from them asap, as I had no intention of that word being used in the context in which you have placed it.

Are we getting any clearer on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.