main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At long last, a definitive consensus! Are the NJO paperbacks skippable?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Nov 29, 2002.

?

At long last, a definitive consensus! Are the NJO paperbacks skippable?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. You need to read both paperbacks and e-stories to understand how everything fits together.

12.8%
  2. You'll get the gist with just paperbacks and hardcovers.

64.0%
  3. Hardcovers will do fine.

8.1%
  4. The NJO is a train.

5.8%
  5. Anakin

9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmm, imo you miss out on superb writing (altho' admittedly not on vital events) if you miss Conquest and Rebirth imo; I do agree some books (such as EL) you can skip with a vengeance, tho'.

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I skipped Dark Journey and Balance Point and haven't missed anything vital - and from what people say around here, it's true.

3. Darth_Shaver

Darth_Shaver Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    The first two NJO books I read were VP and BP and I was very confused as to the storyline.

That is why I voted 'Paperbacks and hardcovers'

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Kier, that's not so. I was also referring to Luceno, Keyes, Allston, all of whome produced better instalments that Salvatore or Tyers.

5. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Kier, that's not so. I was also referring to Luceno, Keyes, Allston, all of whome produced better instalments that Salvatore or Tyers.

Well, we agree to disagree then. I felt VP was fine, Lucerno's writing style is crap and found Allston's books vastly inferior to what he had written before. Lord Nyax? Please. Keyes work was a lot of fun to read and I liked them a lot.

6. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Lucerno's writing style is crap

"Crap" did you spake? While I haven't read his NJO duology, I think his PT novel ranks among the best of the EU. If only more PT books read that well. It's also nice to have someone to harken back to the spirit of the Daley adventures. Though, I'm not sure what to think about this Droma shinanigins.

~PAd

7. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

"Crap" did you spake? While I haven't read his NJO duology,

*Shrugs* I just didn't find the story or the quality of writing all that good.

I think his PT novel ranks among the best of the EU. If only more PT books read that well. It's also nice to have someone to harken back to the spirit of the Daley adventures.

If you say so.

Though, I'm not sure what to think about this Droma shinanigins.

IMO, the only redeeming feature of those books was Han's interplay with Droma.

8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The PBs and HCs are needed for the full forfilment of the NJO, imo. The eBooks are not vital, but fun reads.

9. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I feel that too totally understand the whole NJO story, you need both the hardcovers and paperbacks. E-books however I feel can be skipped, as i believe they are just extras and do not affect the story as a whole that much. However even though it was made so all you need was the hardcovers, the NJO, at least for me, would be hard to follow if i didnt read softcovers. I.E.-- How would people follow Jacen post-Traitor if they didnt read that book? If they went from SBS to DW they would be confused on his new belief in the Force.

10. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd read it all, just to get the full experience that the New Jedi Order has to offer. For example, Rebirth had some important events (Ben's birth), and Conquest is vital to Anakin Solo's character development. Hero's Trial is much like Daley's old Han Solo Adventures, which is reason enough to check it out. Allston's books were a lot of fun and Traitor was a well-written novel.

I'd definitely read the paperbacks. E-books and short stories aren't as essential as the paperbacks, IMO.

11. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    I`ve read as far as SBS, and the only book so far that is skippable is Balance Point. That is, unless you want hundreds of pages of Jacen thinking about the Force in some muddy refugee camp on Duro.

12. Darth_Shaver

Darth_Shaver Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    I agree.

I found Balance Point fairly boring.

13. JediMasterJVC

JediMasterJVC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    This is a stupid poll. We don't skip any Star Wars book - ever! Nuff said!

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    As some people who have skipped the paperbacks have said they have been able to get an overall arcing story that makes sense with just the hardbacks.

But why would someone want to miss any books? There is interestig information to be had in even the paperbacks, and e-books, that I surely wouldn't want to miss.

15. DarthKyp99

DarthKyp99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    the edge of victory series is some of the best writing out there. plus you miss events like ben's birth and mara's disease ending. i think some paper backs were better than the hardcover BP. the only thing that really happened in BP was the duel between Tsavong and Jacen

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Generally it seems that one of the reasons why paperbacks can be skipped and people still understand the arc of the story has to do with the recapping of previous events that can be found in the hardcovers that lets everyone in one what has happened in the paperbacks if they happen to decide not to read the paperbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.