main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At my age, Luke Skywalker was...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was struck the other day by how crazy young Luke and Leia actually were during the OT. We all know academically that they were between 19 and 23 as the movies were happening, but I don't think we really dwell on what that means. For all you fogies out there, think about who you were at 23. Do you recall being half as grown up at that point as we all like to imagine Luke was?.

To everyone over 19, what was Luke up to at the age you are now? Do you see any of yourself in him at that point in the timeline? The ladies can play the same game with Leia if they like - she was CoS by what? 30?

I'm 28, myself, and I feel barely into genuine adulthood - yet at my age, Luke had already redeemed his father, beaten Chronal and Joruus C'Baoth, and fought his own insane clone. And he was only a year or so away from establishing his own Jedi Academy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm 18 now and expect to go on an epic quest next March.

JediFan215 likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    18 myself. How old was Luke in A New Hope? 20?

4. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I just blew up the Death Star, huzzah.

5. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I think that Luke handled his situations much better than I would have in his shoes (I'm 20), but I don't think that he is this flawless saint and paragon of a Jedi during the movies like a lot of people here seem to want him to be.

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Everyone here except Coop is a child, seriously. :p (And now to wait for one of our thirtysomething posters to say the same about me.)

I would have defeated Cronal this past year.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I just redeemed my father at the ripe age of 23... which is a novel point as I am severely debating whether or not to redeem my father in my eyes at this point in time. [face_laugh]

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I would be ... doing stuff on Mimban? Fighting the dastardly Moff 4-8C? Being eaten by a giant sentient starship? Flying with Rogue Squadron?

The classic era is so confusing.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    At my age, Luke is starting to get kinky with a Dathomiri witch. Hawt.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    23. So I guess I would have just ... made out with Han on Endor? :p That's not bad, I suppose, until you factor in that Leia was a Senator at 16. At that age I was nowhere near any positions of power.

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    27.... thus I just dated Mara Jade after she killed my evil clone... and yeah I am looking forward to becoming a Sith Lord :p

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    24, so I guess I just got dumped by Gaerial on Bakura... I've been a medic since around the time I found out Vader was my father, and by the time I meet Mara (which I would love to actually do) I will be a fully certified paramedic.

13. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Wow. I feel really old. I'll be 40 tomorrow. I guess I'm like that guy Vader threw down the reactor shaft compared to most of you. :-B[face_frustrated]I-)

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    40 puts you essentially into the honeymoon period with Mara, so no complaining :p

15. Gratulor

Gratulor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2008
    I'm 22, so I guess Luke had just finished redeeming Vader by then?

16. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002

Is that a good thing?;)

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    i don't exactly know what Luke was doing when he was a few weeks from turning 29..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I was just thinking about this the other night. For some reason, I never think of myself as older than Luke and Leia in the OT, probably because I grew up watching them, but now I'm as old as Han in ANH. It won't be long until I'm older than him at the end of ROTJ. Now that makes me feel old, as Han is supposed to be the older, more experienced one.

And yeah, by my age Leia already had twins and was pregnant with or had just had another one. Plus she's basically second-in-command in the New Republic. I won't even think about what Mara has gone through by the time she was my age. It all makes me feel woefully inadequate.

But what REALLY made me feel woefully inadequate was when I was reading Wraith Squadron recently and Wedge outright stated that he was 28. I thought, "OMG that's younger than I am." And then I wanted to cry.

It's even worse thinking about Jaina in FOTJ...I remember when she was BORN and now she's five years old than me.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Oy, I'm in the dark heart of Luke's Callista period.

20. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    That's an excellent thing ;)

I still have a week before I can pick up some droids with Uncle Owen :p

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm either out on Bakura or fighting in the Nagai-Tof war right now. It's crazy to think how much Luke had accomplished by his mid-20s. 8-}

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I pity you. You just didn't have what it takes.
    But I have. At the moment I have done about the same things as Luke in my age.

1. Be born
    2. Do nothing spectacular before turning 19 <- On that now, and at the moment it has went just as planned
    3. Do cool stuff until people stop meeting you fearing they have to kill you someday

:p

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    WORD.

I have personally bested Palpatine in a sabre duel and killed all but one of his clones, which will die an embarrassing permanent death at the hands of a floating orb dude and my hot-tempered friend a few months later.

24. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    This year I confronted Brakiss for his Dark side leanings. Next year I feel a Black Fleet "Midlife" Crisis coming on

25. marvelfett11

Apr 21, 2002
    Here's a timeline of Luke highlights for those in need of one (if there are any). Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Born: -19 BBY

ANH: 0 ABY (19 years old)

TESB: 3 ABY (22 yrs old)

ROTJ: 4 ABY (23 yrs old)

Thrawn Trilogy: 9 ABY (28 yrs old)

Dark Empire: 10 ABY (29 years old)

Jedi Academy Trilogy: 11 ABY (30 yrs old)

Deafeat of Waru the Amazing: 14 ABY (33 yrs old)

Hand of Thrawn Duology: 19 ABY (38 ABY)

Vector Prime: 25 ABY (44 yrs old)

The Unifying Force: 30 ABY (49 yrs old)

Dark Nest: 35 ABY (54 yrs old)

LOTF: 40 ABY (59 yrs old)

FOTJ: 43 ABY (63 yrs old)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.